Great news re: Museum power situation

  • ekoblentz
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 18, 2013
      We can open soon!!!

      Dan Lieb, who runs the shipwreck group and represents all of the member groups to the InfoAge board of directors, announced the following tonight:

      Here is the current status with InfoAge and our power situation:

      ------

      Short-term:  Wall is going to loan us a 400kw generator for up to 90 days. The hookup is expected in 7 to 10 days. This should be enough to power up most of InfoAge. (Evan's note: that means we can open the museum. Woohoo!)

      Mid-term: While this is going on, Fred is going to continue to pursue the Princeton transformer. Wall is probably going to help us with transportation and installation. (Evan's note: This refers to Princeton U. which is giving InfoAge a transformer. Fred previously told me that transformer is too big; seems he and/or the town changed their minds.)

      Long-term: Wall is going to get with JCP&L to get our buildings metered starting with the buildings we are now using. The rest of the buildings will be metered as we spread out to occupy them. (Evan's note: This means town officials had enough sense to understand that spending some money now means cost savings later. For example, right now, InfoAge pays whatever the transformer sucks in. But if the buildings are metered, then InfoAge only pays what we actually use, which at least for the next few years will be much less than the transformer approach.)
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 19, 2013
        On 2/18/2013 11:31 PM, evan@... wrote:
        > We can open soon!!!
        >
        > Dan Lieb, who runs the shipwreck group and represents all of the member groups to the InfoAge board of directors, announced the following tonight:
        >
        > Here is the current status with InfoAge and our power situation:

        sweet !
        does this mean the micro-mini-VCFish-east is still a go ?

        Dan
      • ekoblentz
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 19, 2013
          >> does this mean the micro-mini-VCFish-east is still a go ?

          VCF East is still taking the year off for two reasons.: lack of time and potential for risk. The power plan is just that -- a plan -- until it happens.

          I think we should host a swap meet on May 14 and a tech day on May 15.
        • Dan Roganti
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 19, 2013
            On 2/19/2013 7:41 AM, evan@... wrote:
            >>> does this mean the micro-mini-VCFish-east is still a go ?
            > VCF East is still taking the year off for two reasons.: lack of time and potential for risk. The power plan is just that -- a plan -- until it happens.
            >
            > I think we should host a swap meet on May 14 and a tech day on May 15.

            yea, thats what I was referring to,
            I just used an alternative terminology :)
          • Systems Glitch
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 19, 2013
              Wall is probably going to help us with transportation and installation. (Evan's note: This refers to Princeton U. which is giving InfoAge a transformer. Fred previously told me that transformer is too big; seems he and/or the town changed their minds.)

              What's it weigh? I do own a flatbed dumptruck. If it's under 5-6 tons and Wall has a hard time making transportation work, I can move it.

              Thanks,
              Jonathan
            • ekoblentz
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 19, 2013
                >> What's it weigh?

                Beats me, but I will share your generous offer with Fred.
              • David Gesswein
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 21, 2013
                  On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 12:41:16PM +0000, evan@... wrote:

                  > I think we should host a swap meet on May 14 and a tech day on May 15.

                  My calendar says thats a tuesday and wednesday.
                • ekoblentz
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 21, 2013
                    >> My calendar says thats a tuesday and wednesday.

                    Oops. 18-19.
                  • ekoblentz
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 21, 2013
                      >> I think we should host a swap meet

                      Speaking of which: I don't know how many people will attend just a vintage computer swap meet. We'd advertise it just like we advertise VCF, but we wouldn't go all-out. It may end up being a lot of MARCHins-and-friend dealing to/from each other.

                      But at least there would be overlap from OMARC's hamfest down the street.

                      We also should keep our event strictly on-topic so as not to overlap with Trenton.
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 21, 2013
                        From 2am until 430am on the 14th then 230pm till 250 or so on the 15th
                        --
                        Sent from my PDP 8/e.