Re: [midatlanticretro] Trenton - March 16

  • Systems Glitch
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 18, 2013
      >My fallback idea, if there isn't enough member participation, is I
      >could basically just bring our museum's homebrew exhibit and set it up
      >at Trenton. Instant awesomeness, just add nerds.

      I may have my 8-bit homebrew project up and going by then, at least the prototype phase. Don't want to get too many people excited in case it doesn't happen so I'll hold off on details. If I don't have that put together, there's plenty of other stuff kicking around that I could bring.

      Thanks,
      Jonathan
    • J. Alexander Jacocks
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 18, 2013
        On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 2:12 PM, Systems Glitch <systems.glitch@...> wrote:

        >My fallback idea, if there isn't enough member participation, is I
        >could basically just bring our museum's homebrew exhibit and set it up
        >at Trenton. Instant awesomeness, just add nerds.

        I may have my 8-bit homebrew project up and going by then, at least the prototype phase. Don't want to get too many people excited in case it doesn't happen so I'll hold off on details. If I don't have that put together, there's plenty of other stuff kicking around that I could bring.

        Thanks,
        Jonathan

        I have one homebrew Z80 system that I could show (N8VEM/Kiselev Zeta), and I might have another, by then.

        Thanks!
        - Alex
      • David Comley
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 19, 2013
          Is it a one or two day event this year ?

          If needed, I could bring something along to make up the numbers. My Spare Time Gizmos SBC6120 will be complete by then - I could run that with a vintage terminal of some sort, or I could dig out an HP-87 or a Vaxstation or even an HP64000, although they're quite big. I also have quite a decent functioning HP plotter that could be demo'd.

          I never seem to have time to do a full-on VCF exhibit but something like this would be great, and I'm half an hour away from TCF.

          -David

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 19, 2013
            "evan@..." <evan@...> writes:

            >Trenton Computer Fest is early this year -- Saturday, March 16.

            Grrr. If it's not VCF, it's TCF, that is always scheduled when I have some
            other function to attend. VCF was finally scheduled at a good time for me
            but cancelled due to the transformer issues at InfoAge. I'll be presenting
            a this <http://www.connect-community.org/?2013VMSBootCamp> which coincides
            with TCF. Maybe next year... :(

          • Bill Sudbrink
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 19, 2013
              evan@... wrote:
              > Degnan? Andy? Corey? Sudbrink? Gesswein? Chapman? Kelly? Herb?
              > Dromgoole? Ian? Sridhar? Etc. ....

              The timing's no good for me. Sorry.

              Bill S.
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 19, 2013

                David,

                Sounds good.  Just Saturday.   It’s not the same TCF as it was 20 years ago, or even 2005, the old ham fest atmosphere recedes each year.  Personally I am giving it another chance but I remain uncommitted to the future.

                Everyone,

                Here are some general guidelines for exhibiting at TCF in particular

                1)      We don’t know much yet about where within TCF we will be, access to power outlets, or space to exhibit.

                2)      Don’t assume you’ll have a lot of power, you may find yourself running off a shared power strip.   Minis might have to sit powerless (even if they make a nice display).

                3)      Unless you’re told otherwise expect you’ll have a single table for your exhibit at most, one of those standard ~5 or 6 by ~2 foot rectangles.  So, pick the one really good thing that fits.  Make the exhibit presentable, and avoid non-vintage hardware especially displays.  People are more impressed by complete setups of actual vintage computers.

                4)      Exhibits should have a placard “Make/Model/Date(s) produced for each item

                5)      TCF is more general audience than your VCF or maker faire, they want to see cool old stuff.  If you have to constantly explain why something is important, it’s probably not (to the general public).

                6)      TCF has always been a source of new members to MARCH, we always want to make a good impression.

                7)      TCF in the past has been a good social for MARCH members.

                Bill

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 19, 2013
                  On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 02:44:17PM +0000, evan@... wrote:

                  > Degnan? Andy? Corey? Sudbrink? Gesswein? Chapman? Kelly? Herb?
                  > Dromgoole? Ian? Sridhar? Etc. ....

                  I may be able to bring something for a single 6' table. Wouldn't really
                  want to do it if sufficient power isn't available. I can bring less hungry
                  stuff but won't work sharing with too many tables. When would you know
                  how much space etc they wish to give us this year?
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 19, 2013
                    On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 02:44:17PM +0000, evan@... wrote:

                    > Degnan? Andy? Corey? Sudbrink? Gesswein? Chapman? Kelly? Herb?
                    > Dromgoole? Ian? Sridhar? Etc. ....

                    I may be able to bring something for a single 6' table. Wouldn't really want
                    to do it if sufficient power isn't available. I can bring less hungry stuff
                    but won't work sharing with too many tables. When would you know how much
                    space etc they wish to give us this year?

                    Evan?
                    In a way it might make more sense to get a good room for a proper exhibit
                    that for it to be in a great spot, we can always flood the event with signs
                    - with arrows "See Antique Computers This Way! --->