Re: [midatlanticretro] Trenton - March 16

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 18, 2013
      evan@... wrote:

      >Trenton Computer Fest is early this year -- Saturday, March 16.
      >
      >Bill Deg. had a great idea: MARCH should have a large presence there,
      >like we did in 2005, because we're not doing VCF this year. That gives
      >club members a chance to show off a little bit.
      >
      >But it's only a month away. So I have a few ideas.
      >
      >My fallback idea, if there isn't enough member participation, is I
      >could basically just bring our museum's homebrew exhibit and set it up
      >at Trenton. Instant awesomeness, just add nerds. Maybe I'll rent a
      >truck and also bring our home micros exhibit.
      >
      >However I'd rather have a bunch of MARCHins there exhibiting your own
      >stuff, and then a group dinner somewhere.
      >
      >Degnan? Andy? Corey? Sudbrink? Gesswein? Chapman? Kelly? Herb?
      >Dromgoole? Ian? Sridhar? Etc. ....
      >
      >Let the discussion begin.

      I am in. Taking requests
      --
      Sent from my PDP 8/e.
    • Systems Glitch
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 18, 2013
        >My fallback idea, if there isn't enough member participation, is I
        >could basically just bring our museum's homebrew exhibit and set it up
        >at Trenton. Instant awesomeness, just add nerds.

        I may have my 8-bit homebrew project up and going by then, at least the prototype phase. Don't want to get too many people excited in case it doesn't happen so I'll hold off on details. If I don't have that put together, there's plenty of other stuff kicking around that I could bring.

        Thanks,
        Jonathan
      • J. Alexander Jacocks
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 18, 2013
          On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 2:12 PM, Systems Glitch <systems.glitch@...> wrote:

          >My fallback idea, if there isn't enough member participation, is I
          >could basically just bring our museum's homebrew exhibit and set it up
          >at Trenton. Instant awesomeness, just add nerds.

          I may have my 8-bit homebrew project up and going by then, at least the prototype phase. Don't want to get too many people excited in case it doesn't happen so I'll hold off on details. If I don't have that put together, there's plenty of other stuff kicking around that I could bring.

          Thanks,
          Jonathan

          I have one homebrew Z80 system that I could show (N8VEM/Kiselev Zeta), and I might have another, by then.

          Thanks!
          - Alex
        • David Comley
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 19, 2013
            Is it a one or two day event this year ?

            If needed, I could bring something along to make up the numbers. My Spare Time Gizmos SBC6120 will be complete by then - I could run that with a vintage terminal of some sort, or I could dig out an HP-87 or a Vaxstation or even an HP64000, although they're quite big. I also have quite a decent functioning HP plotter that could be demo'd.

            I never seem to have time to do a full-on VCF exhibit but something like this would be great, and I'm half an hour away from TCF.

            -David

            Trenton Computer Fest is early this year -- Saturday, March 16.

            Bill Deg. had a great idea: MARCH should have a large presence there, like we did in 2005, because we're not doing VCF this year. That gives club members a chance to show off a little bit.

            But it's only a month away. So I have a few ideas.

            My fallback idea, if there isn't enough member participation, is I could basically just bring our museum's homebrew exhibit and set it up at Trenton. Instant awesomeness, just add nerds. Maybe I'll rent a truck and also bring our home micros exhibit.

            However I'd rather have a bunch of MARCHins there exhibiting your own stuff, and then a group dinner somewhere.

            Degnan? Andy? Corey? Sudbrink? Gesswein? Chapman? Kelly? Herb? Dromgoole? Ian? Sridhar? Etc. ....

            Let the discussion begin.

          • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 19, 2013
              "evan@..." <evan@...> writes:

              >Trenton Computer Fest is early this year -- Saturday, March 16.

              Grrr. If it's not VCF, it's TCF, that is always scheduled when I have some
              other function to attend. VCF was finally scheduled at a good time for me
              but cancelled due to the transformer issues at InfoAge. I'll be presenting
              a this <http://www.connect-community.org/?2013VMSBootCamp> which coincides
              with TCF. Maybe next year... :(

            • Bill Sudbrink
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 19, 2013
                evan@... wrote:
                > Degnan? Andy? Corey? Sudbrink? Gesswein? Chapman? Kelly? Herb?
                > Dromgoole? Ian? Sridhar? Etc. ....

                The timing's no good for me. Sorry.

                Bill S.
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 19, 2013

                  David,

                  Sounds good.  Just Saturday.   It’s not the same TCF as it was 20 years ago, or even 2005, the old ham fest atmosphere recedes each year.  Personally I am giving it another chance but I remain uncommitted to the future.

                  Everyone,

                  Here are some general guidelines for exhibiting at TCF in particular

                  1)      We don’t know much yet about where within TCF we will be, access to power outlets, or space to exhibit.

                  2)      Don’t assume you’ll have a lot of power, you may find yourself running off a shared power strip.   Minis might have to sit powerless (even if they make a nice display).

                  3)      Unless you’re told otherwise expect you’ll have a single table for your exhibit at most, one of those standard ~5 or 6 by ~2 foot rectangles.  So, pick the one really good thing that fits.  Make the exhibit presentable, and avoid non-vintage hardware especially displays.  People are more impressed by complete setups of actual vintage computers.

                  4)      Exhibits should have a placard “Make/Model/Date(s) produced for each item

                  5)      TCF is more general audience than your VCF or maker faire, they want to see cool old stuff.  If you have to constantly explain why something is important, it’s probably not (to the general public).

                  6)      TCF has always been a source of new members to MARCH, we always want to make a good impression.

                  7)      TCF in the past has been a good social for MARCH members.

                  Bill

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 19, 2013
                    On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 02:44:17PM +0000, evan@... wrote:

                    > Degnan? Andy? Corey? Sudbrink? Gesswein? Chapman? Kelly? Herb?
                    > Dromgoole? Ian? Sridhar? Etc. ....

                    I may be able to bring something for a single 6' table. Wouldn't really
                    want to do it if sufficient power isn't available. I can bring less hungry
                    stuff but won't work sharing with too many tables. When would you know
                    how much space etc they wish to give us this year?
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 19, 2013
                      On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 02:44:17PM +0000, evan@... wrote:

                      > Degnan? Andy? Corey? Sudbrink? Gesswein? Chapman? Kelly? Herb?
                      > Dromgoole? Ian? Sridhar? Etc. ....

                      I may be able to bring something for a single 6' table. Wouldn't really want
                      to do it if sufficient power isn't available. I can bring less hungry stuff
                      but won't work sharing with too many tables. When would you know how much
                      space etc they wish to give us this year?

                      Evan?
                      In a way it might make more sense to get a good room for a proper exhibit
                      that for it to be in a great spot, we can always flood the event with signs
                      - with arrows "See Antique Computers This Way! --->