Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Techno Swap Fest 2/23rd Baltimore

  • J. Alexander Jacocks
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 15, 2013
      On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 1:40 PM, Jeff Jonas <jeff_s_jonas@...> wrote:

      > There's a good chance that I will be going.

      Any chance of carpooling?
      It's 5+ hours each way from NJ.

      I've been there a few times, once with HacDC friends (they had a table at the swap fest), once before just for the exhibits. Really good details of radar small and large.

      The NSA Ft. Meade is not too far with their National Cryptologic Museum.

      http://www.nsa.gov/about/cryptologic_heritage/museum/index.shtml
      http://www.cryptologicfoundation.org/
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Cryptologic_Museum

      Jeff,

      Sure...I'd be happy to carpool, if you meet me at my house, Queenstown, Maryland. :-)

      Unfortunately, I think I'm a bit far from you.

      - Alex
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 15, 2013
        There may be a computer exhibit there, not sure how large.

        > > There's a good chance that I will be going.
        >
        > Any chance of carpooling?
        > It's 5+ hours each way from NJ.
        >
        > I've been there a few times, once with HacDC friends (they had a table at
        the swap fest), once before just for the exhibits. Really good details of
        radar small and large.

        > The NSA Ft. Meade is not too far with their National Cryptologic Museum.
        >
        > http://www.nsa.gov/about/cryptologic_heritage/museum/index.shtml
        > http://www.cryptologicfoundation.org/
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Cryptologic_Museum

      • ekoblentz
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 15, 2013
          >> Any chance of carpooling?

          I might like to go, and happy to split the driving / split the gas ... but obviously in your station wagon, not my Miata.

          >> It's 5+ hours each way from NJ.

          What? Baltimore is at most 3.5 hours from where you and I live, and that's if I drive slow. Four hours at most if we stop to eat / pee / fuel.
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 15, 2013

            > >> Any chance of carpooling?
            >
            > I might like to go, and happy to split the driving / split the gas ...
            but obviously in your station wagon, not my Miata.

            > >> It's 5+ hours each way from NJ.
            >
            > What? Baltimore is at most 3.5 hours from where you and I live, and
            that's if I drive slow. Four hours at most if we stop to eat / pee / fuel.

            more like 3.5 from where you live but only because you're actually going to
            a point south/west of Balt. Trenton to Baltimore city is 2.5 hours tops.
          • J. Alexander Jacocks
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 20, 2013
              On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 3:20 PM, B. Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

              > >> Any chance of carpooling?
              >
              > I might like to go, and happy to split the driving / split the gas ...
              but obviously in your station wagon, not my Miata.

              > >> It's 5+ hours each way from NJ.
              >
              > What? Baltimore is at most 3.5 hours from where you and I live, and
              that's if I drive slow. Four hours at most if we stop to eat / pee / fuel.

              more like 3.5 from where you live but only because you're actually going to
              a point south/west of Balt. Trenton to Baltimore city is 2.5 hours tops.

              So, who's coming, for sure?  I'll be there @ 9am.

              - Alex
            • Mike Loewen
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 20, 2013
                On Wed, 20 Feb 2013, J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:

                > So, who's coming, for sure? I'll be there @ 9am.

                I'll be there, probably between 9:30 and 10:00.

                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
              • ekoblentz
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 20, 2013
                  >> So, who's coming, for sure?

                  I haven't heard back from Jeff J. ... but I don't really want to wake up at 4:30am anyhow. :)
                • J. Alexander Jacocks
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 21, 2013
                    On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 10:06 PM, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:

                    On Wed, 20 Feb 2013, J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:

                    > So, who's coming, for sure? I'll be there @ 9am.

                    I'll be there, probably between 9:30 and 10:00.

                    Mike,

                    I just acquired my first 68k workstation, an HP 9000/375.  I'm really excited to play with it, especially since I have discovered that the HP Computer Museum has archived a bunch of the software that HP made available for the machine.  I got the 375, and a 82901 dual disk drive unit, and a pair of HP-IB cables.

                    I remembered that you were using HPDrive, to replace the drive on your HP mini.  I'd love to chat with you about HP-IB cards, as I will need to get one, for a PC, to use as mass storage, as I don't have a hard drive, to perform the initial load.

                    See you Saturday!
                    - Alex
                  • J. Alexander Jacocks
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 22, 2013
                      On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 10:52 PM, <evan@...> wrote:

                      >> So, who's coming, for sure?

                      I haven't heard back from Jeff J. ... but I don't really want to wake up at 4:30am anyhow. :)

                      Is there any chance that anyone coming has a spare HIL keyboard and mouse that they'd be willing to swap for, or sell?

                      And, additionally, if there's anything that anyone's looking for, let me know, and if I have it, I'll bring it.

                      Thanks!
                      - Alex
                    • Mike Loewen
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 23, 2013
                        The swap fest was interesting, but not as large as I expected. I
                        picked up several bags of miscellaneous parts, including various sized
                        machined-pin DIP sockets going for $1.00/tube. Alex Jacocks, David
                        Gesswein and Bill Sudbrink were also there.

                        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                      • J. Alexander Jacocks
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 23, 2013
                          On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 5:20 PM, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:

                          The swap fest was interesting, but not as large as I expected. I
                          picked up several bags of miscellaneous parts, including various sized
                          machined-pin DIP sockets going for $1.00/tube. Alex Jacocks, David
                          Gesswein and Bill Sudbrink were also there.

                          I'm sorry that I missed Bill!

                          - Alex