Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: Asteroids!

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 15, 2013
      On 2/15/2013 8:25 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
      > Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes:
      >
      >> On 2/15/2013 7:31 AM, evan@... wrote: >
      >> http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/15/world/europe/russia-meteor-shower/index.html?c=homepage-t&page=0
      >> planets? >
      >>
      >> Figures they don't tell you about the one that actually hits Nasa is
      > One actually hit Nasa? :) :P
      >
      > There are a LARGE number of asteroids -- smaller than 2102 DA14 -- that
      > are not tracked, known or knowable.

      Yes, of course, and they are primarily concerned with killer asteroids
      beyond Earth's orbit. All space debri is tracked within Earth's orbit,
      as small as a basketball. Whether it's a icbm launching or a reentry
      vehicle, as in meteors. Which is why the Space Station has a safe room,
      astronauts often have to retreat to this room for even the smallest
      debri as it's found tracking within a minimum distance. 2012DA14 could
      wipeout a whole city as large as New York. That one in Russia was
      apparently considered negligible.

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 15, 2013
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 15, 2013
          "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> writes:

          >Not really, but I am expecting more shooting stars than normal. and it
          >might be a clear night with a sliver moon.

          If it were not for that moon, I'd setup one of my cameras with open shutter
          to catch meteor streaks. There might be too much light from that sliver of
          a moon to make a wide field shot feasible.

        • joshbensadon
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 15, 2013
            I bet it's a Vintage Asteroid, no need to be OT here.

            One good hit by a big asteroid and all my problems will be gone, along with the Earth.
          • RonK
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 15, 2013
              I heard that the Russian meteor was actually a giant Mayan calendar that fell to earth! :-)

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 16, 2013
                "RonK" <rkushnier@...> writes:

                >I heard that the Russian meteor was actually a giant Mayan calendar that
                >fell to earth! :-)

                Was that reported by those same news agencies that were using/displaying
                an Aztec's calendar during all the lead up to the 21st of Dec. hype? :)