RE: [midatlanticretro] OT: Asteroids!

    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 15, 2013
      I bet, and this is just a hunch, that the meteorite that hit Russia a part
      of a "cloud" of debris loosely following that larger asteroid that is due to
      pass the Earth today, I think within tens of thousands of miles. I would
      expect another meteor strike in the next 72 hours, I may take the telescope
      out tonight, last night was a good night (the moon was still small after new
      moon).

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 15, 2013
        Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes:

        >On 2/15/2013 7:31 AM, evan@... wrote: >
        >http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/15/world/europe/russia-meteor-shower/index.html?c=homepage-t&page=0
        >> > What's next, the Sun opening at one end and chomping all the
        >planets? >
        >
        >Figures they don't tell you about the one that actually hits Nasa is

        One actually hit Nasa? :) :P

        There are a LARGE number of asteroids -- smaller than 2102 DA14 -- that
        are not tracked, known or knowable.

        >streaming the 2012DA14 flyby starting at 2pm est If the screens turn to
        >static, oh well :) http://www.ustream.tv/nasajpl2

        LOL

      • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 15, 2013
          "B Degnan" <billdeg@...> writes:

          >I bet, and this is just a hunch, that the meteorite that hit Russia a
          >part of a "cloud" of debris loosely following that larger asteroid that
          >is due to pass the Earth today, I think within tens of thousands of
          >miles. I would expect another meteor strike in the next 72 hours, I may
          >take the telescope out tonight, last night was a good night (the moon
          >was still small after new moon).

          You're expecting to see 2102 D14? If you could, I'd wager you'd only see
          it very very briefly in your field of view as it passes and, even if your
          telescope has tracking capabilites, those are not geared to track a fast
          moving object such as 2102 D14 wizzing by at 20K miles out. ;)

        • Dan Roganti
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 15, 2013
            On 2/15/2013 8:25 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
            > Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes:
            >
            >> On 2/15/2013 7:31 AM, evan@... wrote: >
            >> http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/15/world/europe/russia-meteor-shower/index.html?c=homepage-t&page=0
            >> planets? >
            >>
            >> Figures they don't tell you about the one that actually hits Nasa is
            > One actually hit Nasa? :) :P
            >
            > There are a LARGE number of asteroids -- smaller than 2102 DA14 -- that
            > are not tracked, known or knowable.

            Yes, of course, and they are primarily concerned with killer asteroids
            beyond Earth's orbit. All space debri is tracked within Earth's orbit,
            as small as a basketball. Whether it's a icbm launching or a reentry
            vehicle, as in meteors. Which is why the Space Station has a safe room,
            astronauts often have to retreat to this room for even the smallest
            debri as it's found tracking within a minimum distance. 2012DA14 could
            wipeout a whole city as large as New York. That one in Russia was
            apparently considered negligible.

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 15, 2013
              > >I bet, and this is just a hunch, that the meteorite that hit Russia a
              > >part of a "cloud" of debris loosely following that larger asteroid that
              > >is due to pass the Earth today, I think within tens of thousands of
              > >miles. I would expect another meteor strike in the next 72 hours, I
              may
              > >take the telescope out tonight, last night was a good night (the moon
              > >was still small after new moon).
              >
              > You're expecting to see 2102 D14? If you could, I'd wager you'd only
              see
              > it very very briefly in your field of view as it passes and, even if
              your
              > telescope has tracking capabilites, those are not geared to track a fast
              > moving object such as 2102 D14 wizzing by at 20K miles out. ;)
              >
              > --

              Not really, but I am expecting more shooting stars than normal. and it
              might be a clear night with a sliver moon.

              bd
            • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 15, 2013
                "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> writes:

                >Not really, but I am expecting more shooting stars than normal. and it
                >might be a clear night with a sliver moon.

                If it were not for that moon, I'd setup one of my cameras with open shutter
                to catch meteor streaks. There might be too much light from that sliver of
                a moon to make a wide field shot feasible.

              • joshbensadon
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 15, 2013
                  I bet it's a Vintage Asteroid, no need to be OT here.

                  One good hit by a big asteroid and all my problems will be gone, along with the Earth.
                • RonK
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 15, 2013
                    I heard that the Russian meteor was actually a giant Mayan calendar that fell to earth! :-)

                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 16, 2013
                      "RonK" <rkushnier@...> writes:

                      >I heard that the Russian meteor was actually a giant Mayan calendar that
                      >fell to earth! :-)

                      Was that reported by those same news agencies that were using/displaying
                      an Aztec's calendar during all the lead up to the 21st of Dec. hype? :)