OT: Asteroids!

  • ekoblentz
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 15, 2013
      http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/15/world/europe/russia-meteor-shower/index.html?c=homepage-t&page=0

      What's next, the Sun opening at one end and chomping all the planets?
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 15, 2013
        On 2/15/2013 7:31 AM, evan@... wrote:
        > http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/15/world/europe/russia-meteor-shower/index.html?c=homepage-t&page=0
        >
        > What's next, the Sun opening at one end and chomping all the planets?

        Figures they don't tell you about the one that actually hits
        Nasa is streaming the 2012DA14 flyby starting at 2pm est
        If the screens turn to static, oh well :)
        http://www.ustream.tv/nasajpl2
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 15, 2013
          I bet, and this is just a hunch, that the meteorite that hit Russia a part
          of a "cloud" of debris loosely following that larger asteroid that is due to
          pass the Earth today, I think within tens of thousands of miles. I would
          expect another meteor strike in the next 72 hours, I may take the telescope
          out tonight, last night was a good night (the moon was still small after new
          moon).

          What's next, the Sun opening at one end and chomping all the planets?

        • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 15, 2013
            Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes:

            >On 2/15/2013 7:31 AM, evan@... wrote: >
            >http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/15/world/europe/russia-meteor-shower/index.html?c=homepage-t&page=0
            >> > What's next, the Sun opening at one end and chomping all the
            >planets? >
            >
            >Figures they don't tell you about the one that actually hits Nasa is

            One actually hit Nasa? :) :P

            There are a LARGE number of asteroids -- smaller than 2102 DA14 -- that
            are not tracked, known or knowable.

            >streaming the 2012DA14 flyby starting at 2pm est If the screens turn to
            >static, oh well :) http://www.ustream.tv/nasajpl2

            LOL

          • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 15, 2013
              "B Degnan" <billdeg@...> writes:

              >I bet, and this is just a hunch, that the meteorite that hit Russia a
              >part of a "cloud" of debris loosely following that larger asteroid that
              >is due to pass the Earth today, I think within tens of thousands of
              >miles. I would expect another meteor strike in the next 72 hours, I may
              >take the telescope out tonight, last night was a good night (the moon
              >was still small after new moon).

              You're expecting to see 2102 D14? If you could, I'd wager you'd only see
              it very very briefly in your field of view as it passes and, even if your
              telescope has tracking capabilites, those are not geared to track a fast
              moving object such as 2102 D14 wizzing by at 20K miles out. ;)

            • Dan Roganti
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 15, 2013
                On 2/15/2013 8:25 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                > Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes:
                >
                >> On 2/15/2013 7:31 AM, evan@... wrote: >
                >> http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/15/world/europe/russia-meteor-shower/index.html?c=homepage-t&page=0
                >> planets? >
                >>
                >> Figures they don't tell you about the one that actually hits Nasa is
                > One actually hit Nasa? :) :P
                >
                > There are a LARGE number of asteroids -- smaller than 2102 DA14 -- that
                > are not tracked, known or knowable.

                Yes, of course, and they are primarily concerned with killer asteroids
                beyond Earth's orbit. All space debri is tracked within Earth's orbit,
                as small as a basketball. Whether it's a icbm launching or a reentry
                vehicle, as in meteors. Which is why the Space Station has a safe room,
                astronauts often have to retreat to this room for even the smallest
                debri as it's found tracking within a minimum distance. 2012DA14 could
                wipeout a whole city as large as New York. That one in Russia was
                apparently considered negligible.

                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 15, 2013
                  > >I bet, and this is just a hunch, that the meteorite that hit Russia a
                  > >part of a "cloud" of debris loosely following that larger asteroid that
                  > >is due to pass the Earth today, I think within tens of thousands of
                  > >miles. I would expect another meteor strike in the next 72 hours, I
                  may
                  > >take the telescope out tonight, last night was a good night (the moon
                  > >was still small after new moon).
                  >
                  > You're expecting to see 2102 D14? If you could, I'd wager you'd only
                  see
                  > it very very briefly in your field of view as it passes and, even if
                  your
                  > telescope has tracking capabilites, those are not geared to track a fast
                  > moving object such as 2102 D14 wizzing by at 20K miles out. ;)
                  >
                  > --

                  Not really, but I am expecting more shooting stars than normal. and it
                  might be a clear night with a sliver moon.

                  bd
                • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 15, 2013
                    "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> writes:

                    >Not really, but I am expecting more shooting stars than normal. and it
                    >might be a clear night with a sliver moon.

                    If it were not for that moon, I'd setup one of my cameras with open shutter
                    to catch meteor streaks. There might be too much light from that sliver of
                    a moon to make a wide field shot feasible.

                  • joshbensadon
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 15, 2013
                      I bet it's a Vintage Asteroid, no need to be OT here.

                      One good hit by a big asteroid and all my problems will be gone, along with the Earth.
                    • RonK
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 15, 2013
                        I heard that the Russian meteor was actually a giant Mayan calendar that fell to earth! :-)

                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 16, 2013
                          "RonK" <rkushnier@...> writes:

                          >I heard that the Russian meteor was actually a giant Mayan calendar that
                          >fell to earth! :-)

                          Was that reported by those same news agencies that were using/displaying
                          an Aztec's calendar during all the lead up to the 21st of Dec. hype? :)