Re: [midatlanticretro] Techno Swap Fest 2/23rd Baltimore

  • telmnstr
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 13, 2013
      >> Techno Swap Fest 2/23rd Baltimore at the National Electronics Museum
      >> 9am-2pm

      True story. I went to an arcade meetup at this place called Crab Town USA
      on Saturday. After pinball and tron, we headed to the nearest Chilis. I
      was playing the google game Ingress and up popped this green portal and
      the description was National Electronics Museum. I had never heard of it,
      but was meaning to check it out. It's right next to the Chilis.

      Now I just looked at their website. So cool!

      I'm slightly considering checking it out on the 23rd!
    • Bill Sudbrink
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 14, 2013
        Mike Loewen wrote:
        > On Wed, 13 Feb 2013, J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:
        > > There's a good chance that I will be going. Is anyone
        > > else considering it?
        >
        > Yes, I am seriously consdering it. And, my wife said,
        > "You should go!"
        > :-) I've been meaning to see the museum, as well.

        I'll be there for an hour or two. Not sure of the time.
        I'm trying to decide what to bring in case there's something
        there I really want to swap for.

        Bill S.
      • Jeff Jonas
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 15, 2013
          > There's a good chance that I will be going.

          Any chance of carpooling?
          It's 5+ hours each way from NJ.

          I've been there a few times, once with HacDC friends (they had a table at the swap fest), once before just for the exhibits. Really good details of radar small and large.

          The NSA Ft. Meade is not too far with their National Cryptologic Museum.

          http://www.nsa.gov/about/cryptologic_heritage/museum/index.shtml
          http://www.cryptologicfoundation.org/
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Cryptologic_Museum
        • J. Alexander Jacocks
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 15, 2013
            On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 1:40 PM, Jeff Jonas <jeff_s_jonas@...> wrote:

            > There's a good chance that I will be going.

            Any chance of carpooling?
            It's 5+ hours each way from NJ.

            I've been there a few times, once with HacDC friends (they had a table at the swap fest), once before just for the exhibits. Really good details of radar small and large.

            The NSA Ft. Meade is not too far with their National Cryptologic Museum.

            http://www.nsa.gov/about/cryptologic_heritage/museum/index.shtml
            http://www.cryptologicfoundation.org/
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Cryptologic_Museum

            Jeff,

            Sure...I'd be happy to carpool, if you meet me at my house, Queenstown, Maryland. :-)

            Unfortunately, I think I'm a bit far from you.

            - Alex
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 15, 2013
              There may be a computer exhibit there, not sure how large.

              > > There's a good chance that I will be going.
              >
              > Any chance of carpooling?
              > It's 5+ hours each way from NJ.
              >
              > I've been there a few times, once with HacDC friends (they had a table at
              the swap fest), once before just for the exhibits. Really good details of
              radar small and large.

              > The NSA Ft. Meade is not too far with their National Cryptologic Museum.
              >
              > http://www.nsa.gov/about/cryptologic_heritage/museum/index.shtml
              > http://www.cryptologicfoundation.org/
              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Cryptologic_Museum

            • ekoblentz
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 15, 2013
                >> Any chance of carpooling?

                I might like to go, and happy to split the driving / split the gas ... but obviously in your station wagon, not my Miata.

                >> It's 5+ hours each way from NJ.

                What? Baltimore is at most 3.5 hours from where you and I live, and that's if I drive slow. Four hours at most if we stop to eat / pee / fuel.
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 15, 2013

                  > >> Any chance of carpooling?
                  >
                  > I might like to go, and happy to split the driving / split the gas ...
                  but obviously in your station wagon, not my Miata.

                  > >> It's 5+ hours each way from NJ.
                  >
                  > What? Baltimore is at most 3.5 hours from where you and I live, and
                  that's if I drive slow. Four hours at most if we stop to eat / pee / fuel.

                  more like 3.5 from where you live but only because you're actually going to
                  a point south/west of Balt. Trenton to Baltimore city is 2.5 hours tops.
                • J. Alexander Jacocks
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 20, 2013
                    On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 3:20 PM, B. Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

                    > >> Any chance of carpooling?
                    >
                    > I might like to go, and happy to split the driving / split the gas ...
                    but obviously in your station wagon, not my Miata.

                    > >> It's 5+ hours each way from NJ.
                    >
                    > What? Baltimore is at most 3.5 hours from where you and I live, and
                    that's if I drive slow. Four hours at most if we stop to eat / pee / fuel.

                    more like 3.5 from where you live but only because you're actually going to
                    a point south/west of Balt. Trenton to Baltimore city is 2.5 hours tops.

                    So, who's coming, for sure?  I'll be there @ 9am.

                    - Alex
                  • Mike Loewen
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 20, 2013
                      On Wed, 20 Feb 2013, J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:

                      > So, who's coming, for sure? I'll be there @ 9am.

                      I'll be there, probably between 9:30 and 10:00.

                      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                    • ekoblentz
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 20, 2013
                        >> So, who's coming, for sure?

                        I haven't heard back from Jeff J. ... but I don't really want to wake up at 4:30am anyhow. :)
                      • J. Alexander Jacocks
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 21, 2013
                          On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 10:06 PM, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:

                          On Wed, 20 Feb 2013, J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:

                          > So, who's coming, for sure? I'll be there @ 9am.

                          I'll be there, probably between 9:30 and 10:00.

                          Mike,

                          I just acquired my first 68k workstation, an HP 9000/375.  I'm really excited to play with it, especially since I have discovered that the HP Computer Museum has archived a bunch of the software that HP made available for the machine.  I got the 375, and a 82901 dual disk drive unit, and a pair of HP-IB cables.

                          I remembered that you were using HPDrive, to replace the drive on your HP mini.  I'd love to chat with you about HP-IB cards, as I will need to get one, for a PC, to use as mass storage, as I don't have a hard drive, to perform the initial load.

                          See you Saturday!
                          - Alex
                        • J. Alexander Jacocks
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 22, 2013
                            On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 10:52 PM, <evan@...> wrote:

                            >> So, who's coming, for sure?

                            I haven't heard back from Jeff J. ... but I don't really want to wake up at 4:30am anyhow. :)

                            Is there any chance that anyone coming has a spare HIL keyboard and mouse that they'd be willing to swap for, or sell?

                            And, additionally, if there's anything that anyone's looking for, let me know, and if I have it, I'll bring it.

                            Thanks!
                            - Alex
                          • Mike Loewen
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 23, 2013
                              The swap fest was interesting, but not as large as I expected. I
                              picked up several bags of miscellaneous parts, including various sized
                              machined-pin DIP sockets going for $1.00/tube. Alex Jacocks, David
                              Gesswein and Bill Sudbrink were also there.

                              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                            • J. Alexander Jacocks
                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 23, 2013
                                On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 5:20 PM, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:

                                The swap fest was interesting, but not as large as I expected. I
                                picked up several bags of miscellaneous parts, including various sized
                                machined-pin DIP sockets going for $1.00/tube. Alex Jacocks, David
                                Gesswein and Bill Sudbrink were also there.

                                I'm sorry that I missed Bill!

                                - Alex