Re: [midatlanticretro] Museum power update

  • ekoblentz
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 13, 2013
      >> Can you get some info on what size transformer is needed?

      I can ask.

      How might you be able to help?
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 13, 2013
        On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 5:24 PM, <evan@...> wrote:
        There's still no power at InfoAge. Been six weeks.  :(

        Princeton U. offered to give InfoAge one of its extra transformers, but the transformer they offered has the opposite problem -- it's so big that it would cost a fortune to run it.

        The town, which owns InfoAge's campus, asked Fred to get estimates for independently wiring every building. Fred did that. Not surprising, it would cost far more than just replacing the old transformer with a new one.

        Fred hopes the town will see that and buy us a new appropriately-sized transformer.

        Meanwhile, he and others continue to seek other sources of transformer funding.

        I'm sure Fred is working diligently in securing the funding for the repair at InfoAge. But why can't we start our own fundraising campaign. Everyone of the groups hosted there at InfoAge should already participating in some kind of fundraising campaign. What's stopping anyone from starting one ? I'm sure there is already enough exposure surrounding this predicament in order to solicit donations if places such as Princeton Univ. is already offering their own equipment. Just keep spreading the word around.
        I'll drop $20 right now in the bucket if somebody there starts one, something such as Paypal can streamline the process, and only if donations are used towards the repair and not for any other expenditures. Each day just waiting is less donations you'll have.

        Dan

      • Tony Eros
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 13, 2013
          Or maybe set it up as a Kickstarter project with an "I brought the power to InfoAge" t-shirt reward or something.

          -- Tony

          Sent from my iPhone

[...]

        • William Donzelli
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 13, 2013
            > How might you be able to help?

            I do not know, but I woud like to know more specifics about the problem.

            --
            Will
          • William Donzelli
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 26, 2013
              >> Fred hopes the town will see that and buy us a new appropriately-sized
              >> transformer.
              >
              > Can you get some info on what size transformer is needed?

              Any luck on getting this info for me? I am still curious.

              --
              Will
            • joshbensadon
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 26, 2013
                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, William Donzelli <wdonzelli@...> wrote:

                > > Can you get some info on what size transformer is needed?

                Maybe we can rewind this transformer ourselves, just let everyone have a turn or two or three...
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 28 4:39 PM
                  Sigh... Fred said that the town told him that JCP&L (the local electric utility) "lost" the power reactivation request, and that a new emergency rush request is being created.

                  Sounds to me like InfoAge is in for another week or two of generators. :(
                • Bryan Pope
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 28 5:11 PM
                    On 8/28/2013 7:39 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                    Sigh... Fred said that the town told him that JCP&L (the local electric utility) "lost" the power reactivation request, and that a new emergency rush request is being created.

                    Sounds to me like InfoAge is in for another week or two of generators. :(

                    Next you are going to be telling us "It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard'".

                    Cheers,

                    Bryan

                  • David Riley
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 28 5:16 PM
                      On Aug 28, 2013, at 8:11 PM, Bryan Pope wrote:

                      > On 8/28/2013 7:39 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                      >

                      >> Sigh... Fred said that the town told him that JCP&L (the local electric utility) "lost" the power reactivation request, and that a new emergency rush request is being created.
                      >>
                      >> Sounds to me like InfoAge is in for another week or two of generators. :(
                      >
                      > Next you are going to be telling us "It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard'".

                      But look, you found the notice, didn't you?

                      - Dave
                    • nicodemus_nj
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 30 7:08 AM

                        "Ah, well the lights had probably gone." "So had the stairs."