RE: [midatlanticretro] OT: UPDATE Valve fires many including Jeri Ellsworth

  • Bill Sudbrink
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013
      evan@... wrote:

      > >> All less 1 perhaps.
      >
      > You've mentioned that -- only techie I ever met who doesn't like games.

      All computer programs are games. Some are more interesting than others.
      The game "payroll" is decidedly boring.

      Bill S.
    • ekoblentz
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013
        >> All computer programs are games.

        Globalthermonuclearwar
      • William Donzelli
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013
          > All less 1 perhaps.

          All less 2 - and I hope more.

          I do not think it is appropriate to talk about someone's personal
          misfortune on a public list - someone quite a few of us have met
          and/or know. Yes, she let her followers know she was let go somehow,
          but it is still a personal problem that is *hers*. This is not
          something like a death or other tragedy, where it is appropriate to
          spread the word. This is one of those stresses (and yes, losing a job
          rates high on the H&R stress scale) that is best dealt with in a
          private manner.

          Want to send her some support? Make it private. The last thing she
          probably needs is everyone in the world talking about the situation,
          and worse, coming up with all sorts of speculations.

          Learn some manners.

          --
          Will, out.
        • Bill Sudbrink
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013
            evan@... wrote:
            > Bill Sudbrink wrote:
            > >> All computer programs are games.
            >
            > Globalthermonuclearwar

            How about a nice game of chess?
          • ekoblentz
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013
              >> I do not think it is appropriate to talk about someone's personal misfortune on a public list

              I agree; only responded to clarify the fact. Today the web is full of blogs, etc. commenting that she was "fired" but it sounds like that isn't quite accurate.

              Nobody, here or elsewhere, is criticizing her for it. In fact she Tweeted a thank-you message just now, re: all the support.

              Keep in mind that she is absolutely a "public figure" in the tech world.
            • ekoblentz
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013
                >>> Globalthermonuclearwar

                >> How about a nice game of chess?

                Globalthermonuclearwar!!
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013
                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013
                      On Wed, 13 Feb 2013, B. Degnan wrote:

                      > Jeri Ellsworth

                      >>> You've mentioned that -- only techie I ever met who doesn't like games.
                      >>
                      >> Specifically, doesn't like video games. ;)
                      >>
                      >> --
                      >
                      > Oh, I thought you meant Jerri Ellsworth. I don't get why people are
                      > obsessed with her. Nothing against her, but some people take it overboard
                      > I think.

                      That's because you're married. :-)

                      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                    • Christopher Blackmon
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013

                        > >You've mentioned that -- only techie I ever met who doesn't like games.
                        >
                        > Specifically, doesn't like video games. ;)
                        >
                        > --

                        Oh, I thought you meant Jerri Ellsworth. I don't get why people are
                        obsessed with her. Nothing against her, but some people take it overboard
                        I think.

                        bd

                        ---------
                        because her existence is in direct violation of rule 16.
                        cb

                      • Bryan Pope
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013
                          On 2/13/2013 1:32 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

                          evan@...> writes:

                          >>> I know it's OT, but I felt it was worth posting.
                          >
                          >It's fine for OT:. ... we all likes games, and we all respect Jeri.

                          All less 1 perhaps.

                          But she does *not* make games.   She makes hardware!  *sigh*
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeri_Ellsworth

                          She has also made *semiconductors*.  Is there anybody here that does not like semiconductors?!
                          http://youtu.be/w_znRopGtbE

                          Here is a demonstration of her homemade transistor...
                          http://youtu.be/-Qph8BNrnLY

                          Cheers,

                          Bryan

                        • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013
                            "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> writes:

                            >Oh, I thought you meant Jerri Ellsworth. I don't get why people are
                            >obsessed with her. Nothing against her, but some people take it
                            >overboard I think.

                            Only the geeks here who don't have a real woman in their lives! :)

                            She's somewhat of an enigma being she's a female in a generally male field.
                            Applaud her achievements but don't dwell on her misfortunes. I do suspect
                            that she will land safely on her feet somewhere else in short order.

                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013
                              On Feb 13, 2013, at 1:39 PM, evan@... wrote:
                              >>> All less 1 perhaps.
                              >
                              > You've mentioned that -- only techie I ever met who doesn't like games.

                              Uhh: [raises hand]

                              Some of us actually do real work with technology. ;)

                              I played my first game in over twenty years at Festivus a few months ago. I made an exception for playng an Atari 2600 against Ian. ;)

                              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ