Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: UPDATE Valve fires many including Jeri Ellsworth

  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013
      <evan@...> writes:

      >>> I know it's OT, but I felt it was worth posting.
      >
      >It's fine for OT:. ... we all likes games, and we all respect Jeri.

      All less 1 perhaps.

    • ekoblentz
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013
        >> All less 1 perhaps.

        You've mentioned that -- only techie I ever met who doesn't like games.
      • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013
          <evan@...> writes:

          >>> All less 1 perhaps.
          >
          >You've mentioned that -- only techie I ever met who doesn't like games.

          Specifically, doesn't like video games. ;)

        • Bill Sudbrink
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013
            evan@... wrote:

            > >> All less 1 perhaps.
            >
            > You've mentioned that -- only techie I ever met who doesn't like games.

            All computer programs are games. Some are more interesting than others.
            The game "payroll" is decidedly boring.

            Bill S.
          • ekoblentz
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013
              >> All computer programs are games.

              Globalthermonuclearwar
            • William Donzelli
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013
                > All less 1 perhaps.

                All less 2 - and I hope more.

                I do not think it is appropriate to talk about someone's personal
                misfortune on a public list - someone quite a few of us have met
                and/or know. Yes, she let her followers know she was let go somehow,
                but it is still a personal problem that is *hers*. This is not
                something like a death or other tragedy, where it is appropriate to
                spread the word. This is one of those stresses (and yes, losing a job
                rates high on the H&R stress scale) that is best dealt with in a
                private manner.

                Want to send her some support? Make it private. The last thing she
                probably needs is everyone in the world talking about the situation,
                and worse, coming up with all sorts of speculations.

                Learn some manners.

                --
                Will, out.
              • Bill Sudbrink
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013
                  evan@... wrote:
                  > Bill Sudbrink wrote:
                  > >> All computer programs are games.
                  >
                  > Globalthermonuclearwar

                  How about a nice game of chess?
                • ekoblentz
                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013
                    >> I do not think it is appropriate to talk about someone's personal misfortune on a public list

                    I agree; only responded to clarify the fact. Today the web is full of blogs, etc. commenting that she was "fired" but it sounds like that isn't quite accurate.

                    Nobody, here or elsewhere, is criticizing her for it. In fact she Tweeted a thank-you message just now, re: all the support.

                    Keep in mind that she is absolutely a "public figure" in the tech world.
                  • ekoblentz
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013
                      >>> Globalthermonuclearwar

                      >> How about a nice game of chess?

                      Globalthermonuclearwar!!
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013

                        > >It's fine for OT:. ... we all likes games, and we all respect Jeri.
                        >
                        > All less 1 perhaps.
                        >
                        > --

                        I personally don't care. Put me down for a "0" N/A.
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013
                          > >You've mentioned that -- only techie I ever met who doesn't like games.
                          >
                          > Specifically, doesn't like video games. ;)
                          >
                          > --

                          Oh, I thought you meant Jerri Ellsworth. I don't get why people are
                          obsessed with her. Nothing against her, but some people take it overboard
                          I think.

                          bd
                        • Mike Loewen
                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013
                            On Wed, 13 Feb 2013, B. Degnan wrote:

                            > Jeri Ellsworth

                            >>> You've mentioned that -- only techie I ever met who doesn't like games.
                            >>
                            >> Specifically, doesn't like video games. ;)
                            >>
                            >> --
                            >
                            > Oh, I thought you meant Jerri Ellsworth. I don't get why people are
                            > obsessed with her. Nothing against her, but some people take it overboard
                            > I think.

                            That's because you're married. :-)

                            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                          • Christopher Blackmon
                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013

                              > >You've mentioned that -- only techie I ever met who doesn't like games.
                              >
                              > Specifically, doesn't like video games. ;)
                              >
                              > --

                              Oh, I thought you meant Jerri Ellsworth. I don't get why people are
                              obsessed with her. Nothing against her, but some people take it overboard
                              I think.

                              bd

                              ---------
                              because her existence is in direct violation of rule 16.
                              cb

                            • Bryan Pope
                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013
                                On 2/13/2013 1:32 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

                                evan@...> writes:

                                >>> I know it's OT, but I felt it was worth posting.
                                >
                                >It's fine for OT:. ... we all likes games, and we all respect Jeri.

                                All less 1 perhaps.

                                But she does *not* make games.   She makes hardware!  *sigh*
                                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeri_Ellsworth

                                She has also made *semiconductors*.  Is there anybody here that does not like semiconductors?!
                                http://youtu.be/w_znRopGtbE

                                Here is a demonstration of her homemade transistor...
                                http://youtu.be/-Qph8BNrnLY

                                Cheers,

                                Bryan

                              • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013
                                  "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> writes:

                                  >Oh, I thought you meant Jerri Ellsworth. I don't get why people are
                                  >obsessed with her. Nothing against her, but some people take it
                                  >overboard I think.

                                  Only the geeks here who don't have a real woman in their lives! :)

                                  She's somewhat of an enigma being she's a female in a generally male field.
                                  Applaud her achievements but don't dwell on her misfortunes. I do suspect
                                  that she will land safely on her feet somewhere else in short order.

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013
                                    On Feb 13, 2013, at 1:39 PM, evan@... wrote:
                                    >>> All less 1 perhaps.
                                    >
                                    > You've mentioned that -- only techie I ever met who doesn't like games.

                                    Uhh: [raises hand]

                                    Some of us actually do real work with technology. ;)

                                    I played my first game in over twenty years at Festivus a few months ago. I made an exception for playng an Atari 2600 against Ian. ;)

                                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ