Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: UPDATE Valve fires many including Jeri Ellsworth

  • Christian Liendo
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013
      From: "evan@..." <evan@...>
      >>Yeah I saw that. Jeri said "fired" but it sounds more like "laid off". Still feels crappy to the victims (I've been there!), but it's not like she, specifically, was "fired" in the traditional sense.

      Well I know people here care about Jeri and would want to know.  I know it's OT, but I felt it was worth posting.

      How she finds a new job soon
    • ekoblentz
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013
        >> I know it's OT, but I felt it was worth posting.

        It's fine for OT:. ... we all likes games, and we all respect Jeri.
      • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013
          <evan@...> writes:

          >>> I know it's OT, but I felt it was worth posting.
          >
          >It's fine for OT:. ... we all likes games, and we all respect Jeri.

          All less 1 perhaps.

        • ekoblentz
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013
            >> All less 1 perhaps.

            You've mentioned that -- only techie I ever met who doesn't like games.
          • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013
              <evan@...> writes:

              >>> All less 1 perhaps.
              >
              >You've mentioned that -- only techie I ever met who doesn't like games.

              Specifically, doesn't like video games. ;)

            • Bill Sudbrink
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013
                evan@... wrote:

                > >> All less 1 perhaps.
                >
                > You've mentioned that -- only techie I ever met who doesn't like games.

                All computer programs are games. Some are more interesting than others.
                The game "payroll" is decidedly boring.

                Bill S.
              • ekoblentz
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013
                  >> All computer programs are games.

                  Globalthermonuclearwar
                • William Donzelli
                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013
                    > All less 1 perhaps.

                    All less 2 - and I hope more.

                    I do not think it is appropriate to talk about someone's personal
                    misfortune on a public list - someone quite a few of us have met
                    and/or know. Yes, she let her followers know she was let go somehow,
                    but it is still a personal problem that is *hers*. This is not
                    something like a death or other tragedy, where it is appropriate to
                    spread the word. This is one of those stresses (and yes, losing a job
                    rates high on the H&R stress scale) that is best dealt with in a
                    private manner.

                    Want to send her some support? Make it private. The last thing she
                    probably needs is everyone in the world talking about the situation,
                    and worse, coming up with all sorts of speculations.

                    Learn some manners.

                    --
                    Will, out.
                  • Bill Sudbrink
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013
                      evan@... wrote:
                      > Bill Sudbrink wrote:
                      > >> All computer programs are games.
                      >
                      > Globalthermonuclearwar

                      How about a nice game of chess?
                    • ekoblentz
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013
                        >> I do not think it is appropriate to talk about someone's personal misfortune on a public list

                        I agree; only responded to clarify the fact. Today the web is full of blogs, etc. commenting that she was "fired" but it sounds like that isn't quite accurate.

                        Nobody, here or elsewhere, is criticizing her for it. In fact she Tweeted a thank-you message just now, re: all the support.

                        Keep in mind that she is absolutely a "public figure" in the tech world.
                      • ekoblentz
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013
                          >>> Globalthermonuclearwar

                          >> How about a nice game of chess?

                          Globalthermonuclearwar!!
                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013

                            > >It's fine for OT:. ... we all likes games, and we all respect Jeri.
                            >
                            > All less 1 perhaps.
                            >
                            > --

                            I personally don't care. Put me down for a "0" N/A.
                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013
                              > >You've mentioned that -- only techie I ever met who doesn't like games.
                              >
                              > Specifically, doesn't like video games. ;)
                              >
                              > --

                              Oh, I thought you meant Jerri Ellsworth. I don't get why people are
                              obsessed with her. Nothing against her, but some people take it overboard
                              I think.

                              bd
                            • Mike Loewen
                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013
                                On Wed, 13 Feb 2013, B. Degnan wrote:

                                > Jeri Ellsworth

                                >>> You've mentioned that -- only techie I ever met who doesn't like games.
                                >>
                                >> Specifically, doesn't like video games. ;)
                                >>
                                >> --
                                >
                                > Oh, I thought you meant Jerri Ellsworth. I don't get why people are
                                > obsessed with her. Nothing against her, but some people take it overboard
                                > I think.

                                That's because you're married. :-)

                                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                              • Christopher Blackmon
                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013

                                  > >You've mentioned that -- only techie I ever met who doesn't like games.
                                  >
                                  > Specifically, doesn't like video games. ;)
                                  >
                                  > --

                                  Oh, I thought you meant Jerri Ellsworth. I don't get why people are
                                  obsessed with her. Nothing against her, but some people take it overboard
                                  I think.

                                  bd

                                  ---------
                                  because her existence is in direct violation of rule 16.
                                  cb

                                • Bryan Pope
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013
                                    On 2/13/2013 1:32 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

                                    evan@...> writes:

                                    >>> I know it's OT, but I felt it was worth posting.
                                    >
                                    >It's fine for OT:. ... we all likes games, and we all respect Jeri.

                                    All less 1 perhaps.

                                    But she does *not* make games.   She makes hardware!  *sigh*
                                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeri_Ellsworth

                                    She has also made *semiconductors*.  Is there anybody here that does not like semiconductors?!
                                    http://youtu.be/w_znRopGtbE

                                    Here is a demonstration of her homemade transistor...
                                    http://youtu.be/-Qph8BNrnLY

                                    Cheers,

                                    Bryan

                                  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013
                                      "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> writes:

                                      >Oh, I thought you meant Jerri Ellsworth. I don't get why people are
                                      >obsessed with her. Nothing against her, but some people take it
                                      >overboard I think.

                                      Only the geeks here who don't have a real woman in their lives! :)

                                      She's somewhat of an enigma being she's a female in a generally male field.
                                      Applaud her achievements but don't dwell on her misfortunes. I do suspect
                                      that she will land safely on her feet somewhere else in short order.

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Feb 13, 2013
                                        On Feb 13, 2013, at 1:39 PM, evan@... wrote:
                                        >>> All less 1 perhaps.
                                        >
                                        > You've mentioned that -- only techie I ever met who doesn't like games.

                                        Uhh: [raises hand]

                                        Some of us actually do real work with technology. ;)

                                        I played my first game in over twenty years at Festivus a few months ago. I made an exception for playng an Atari 2600 against Ian. ;)

                                        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ