Re: [midatlanticretro] electric cafe'

  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 8, 2013
      <evan@...> writes:

      >>> I would never consider Isao Tomita to be "Counterculture."
      >
      >Didn't mean the music. I meant long-haired hippies.

      OK. I don't know any long-haired hippies. ;)

      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 8, 2013
        On 02/08/2013 04:08 PM, evan@... wrote:

        >>> That's a bit "long haired" for this group.
        >
        > I have no problem with it. Counterculture and hobby computers have intertwined histories.

        If by "counterculture" you mean "long hair", that's been the norm in
        the high-tech world since pretty much day one. Even the scientists on
        the Manhattan Project were called "longhairs", because, well, many of
        them were. It's the culture...SHORThairs are the "counterculture" here.

        (well, and IBM..)

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
      • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 9, 2013
          Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

          > If by "counterculture" you mean "long hair", that's been the norm in
          >the high-tech world since pretty much day one. Even the scientists on
          >the Manhattan Project were called "longhairs", because, well, many of
          >them were. It's the culture...SHORThairs are the "counterculture" here.

          http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/longhair

          Definition #2.

          > (well, and IBM..)

          That's not counterculture, that's a cult! :)

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 9, 2013
            On 02/09/2013 08:55 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
            > Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:
            >
            >> If by "counterculture" you mean "long hair", that's been the norm in
            >> the high-tech world since pretty much day one. Even the scientists on
            >> the Manhattan Project were called "longhairs", because, well, many of
            >> them were. It's the culture...SHORThairs are the "counterculture" here.
            >
            > http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/longhair
            >
            > Definition #2.

            Yup. :-)

            >> (well, and IBM..)
            >
            > That's not counterculture, that's a cult! :)

            Ohhh yes.

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ