Re: Terminal Emulator / Comms for IBM PC with 110b

  • joshbensadon
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 8, 2013
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" wrote:

      > I have three versions, none has 110b.
      >
      > But that's ok. I am taking a different tact
      >
      > From the DOS prompt
      > MODE COM1:110,N,8,1 (set comms to match ASR 33)
      > CTTY COM1 (use COM1 as the console)

      That should work.

      I was checking out the terminal program I often use, TELIX v3.20, it only goes down to 300b. But a programming trick I use in BASIC to go higher than 9600b is to access the UART Baud Divider directly. Why not try it here??? I tested it on TELIX, first by shelling out to DOS from within TELIX. The baud does drop to 110b but only while you're shelled out, the moment you come back to TELIX, either TELIX or COMMAND.COM reverts to the 300b. So, I tried a different method to shell out. Using the "EDITOR" program in TELIX it works.

      Here's what I did. Go into TELIX SETUP <Alt-o>, Choose "Filenames and paths", Choose H for EDITOR, Enter "DEBUG" for your editor. Save and now from within TELIX, press <Alt-A> to activate DEBUG.

      In DEBUG, you can access the UART directly.
      Assuming COM1 with a base address of 0x3F8
      -i 3fb
      XX <-Note this value (Expect to see 03 = state of DTR,RTS,Etc)
      -o 3fb 83 <-the 83 is the XX value with the msb set
      -o 3f8 10 <-New divider for 110b = 0x410
      -o 3f9 4
      -o 3fb 3 <-Revert to previous value of XX
      -q <-Quit, return to TELIX and you're talking at 110b

      You can enter all these commands into a text file and pipe them into DEBUG, so all you'll have to do is press <Alt-A> to get your 110b.

      Cheers,
      Josh