Re: [midatlanticretro] electric cafe'

  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 8, 2013
      <evan@...> writes

      >I have no problem with it. Counterculture and hobby computers have intertwined histories.

      I would never consider Isao Tomita to be "Counterculture." The Bermuda
      Triange is Prokofiev (a la "Lt. Kije" -- if you don't know this music,
      watch Woody Allen's parody on Tolstoy's "War and Peace" called "Love and
      Death". Woody Allen goes dancing off with the grime reaper at the end
      of the film to the Suite from Lt. Kije) laden with Tomita's synthesizer
      "insensibilities."

    • ekoblentz
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 8, 2013
        >> I would never consider Isao Tomita to be "Counterculture."

        Didn't mean the music. I meant long-haired hippies.
      • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 8, 2013
          <evan@...> writes:

          >>> I would never consider Isao Tomita to be "Counterculture."
          >
          >Didn't mean the music. I meant long-haired hippies.

          OK. I don't know any long-haired hippies. ;)

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 8, 2013
            On 02/08/2013 04:08 PM, evan@... wrote:

            >>> That's a bit "long haired" for this group.
            >
            > I have no problem with it. Counterculture and hobby computers have intertwined histories.

            If by "counterculture" you mean "long hair", that's been the norm in
            the high-tech world since pretty much day one. Even the scientists on
            the Manhattan Project were called "longhairs", because, well, many of
            them were. It's the culture...SHORThairs are the "counterculture" here.

            (well, and IBM..)

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            New Kensington, PA
          • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 9, 2013
              Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

              > If by "counterculture" you mean "long hair", that's been the norm in
              >the high-tech world since pretty much day one. Even the scientists on
              >the Manhattan Project were called "longhairs", because, well, many of
              >them were. It's the culture...SHORThairs are the "counterculture" here.

              http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/longhair

              Definition #2.

              > (well, and IBM..)

              That's not counterculture, that's a cult! :)

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 9, 2013
                On 02/09/2013 08:55 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                > Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:
                >
                >> If by "counterculture" you mean "long hair", that's been the norm in
                >> the high-tech world since pretty much day one. Even the scientists on
                >> the Manhattan Project were called "longhairs", because, well, many of
                >> them were. It's the culture...SHORThairs are the "counterculture" here.
                >
                > http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/longhair
                >
                > Definition #2.

                Yup. :-)

                >> (well, and IBM..)
                >
                > That's not counterculture, that's a cult! :)

                Ohhh yes.

                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ