Re: [midatlanticretro] electric cafe'

  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 8, 2013
      Christian Liendo <christian_liendo@...> writes:

      >How come no one mentioned Kraftwerk
      >www.kraftwerk.com/

      Maybe because they're not that good? Minimalistic and the repetition of
      "Wir fahren fahren fahren auf der Autobahn." Sheesh!

    • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 8, 2013
        "Bill Sudbrink" <wh.sudbrink@...> writes:

        >Well, if you want some "computer music", you could do worse than
        >Tomita's "The Bermuda Triangle". As well as synthesized music, it
        >actually contains Tarbell format ASCII data incorporated into some
        >tracks. Some day, I'll do a VCF exhibit where I decode those live as
        >the vinyl plays.

        That's a bit "long haired" for this group.

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 8, 2013
          On 02/08/2013 03:54 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
          >> Well, if you want some "computer music", you could do worse than
          >> Tomita's "The Bermuda Triangle". As well as synthesized music, it
          >> actually contains Tarbell format ASCII data incorporated into some
          >> tracks. Some day, I'll do a VCF exhibit where I decode those live as
          >> the vinyl plays.
          >
          > That's a bit "long haired" for this group.

          HEY. What are you tryin' to SAY, you long-haired freak? ;)

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
        • ekoblentz
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 8, 2013
            >>> it actually contains Tarbell format ASCII data incorporated into some tracks. Some day, I'll do a VCF exhibit where I decode those live as the vinyl plays.

            >> That's a bit "long haired" for this group.

            I have no problem with it. Counterculture and hobby computers have intertwined histories.
          • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 8, 2013
              Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

              > HEY. What are you tryin' to SAY, you long-haired freak? ;)

              I resemble that remark!

            • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 8, 2013
                <evan@...> writes

                >I have no problem with it. Counterculture and hobby computers have intertwined histories.

                I would never consider Isao Tomita to be "Counterculture." The Bermuda
                Triange is Prokofiev (a la "Lt. Kije" -- if you don't know this music,
                watch Woody Allen's parody on Tolstoy's "War and Peace" called "Love and
                Death". Woody Allen goes dancing off with the grime reaper at the end
                of the film to the Suite from Lt. Kije) laden with Tomita's synthesizer
                "insensibilities."

              • ekoblentz
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 8, 2013
                  >> I would never consider Isao Tomita to be "Counterculture."

                  Didn't mean the music. I meant long-haired hippies.
                • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 8, 2013
                    <evan@...> writes:

                    >>> I would never consider Isao Tomita to be "Counterculture."
                    >
                    >Didn't mean the music. I meant long-haired hippies.

                    OK. I don't know any long-haired hippies. ;)

                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 8, 2013
                      On 02/08/2013 04:08 PM, evan@... wrote:

                      >>> That's a bit "long haired" for this group.
                      >
                      > I have no problem with it. Counterculture and hobby computers have intertwined histories.

                      If by "counterculture" you mean "long hair", that's been the norm in
                      the high-tech world since pretty much day one. Even the scientists on
                      the Manhattan Project were called "longhairs", because, well, many of
                      them were. It's the culture...SHORThairs are the "counterculture" here.

                      (well, and IBM..)

                      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                      New Kensington, PA
                    • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 9, 2013
                        Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                        > If by "counterculture" you mean "long hair", that's been the norm in
                        >the high-tech world since pretty much day one. Even the scientists on
                        >the Manhattan Project were called "longhairs", because, well, many of
                        >them were. It's the culture...SHORThairs are the "counterculture" here.

                        http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/longhair

                        Definition #2.

                        > (well, and IBM..)

                        That's not counterculture, that's a cult! :)

                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 9, 2013
                          On 02/09/2013 08:55 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                          > Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:
                          >
                          >> If by "counterculture" you mean "long hair", that's been the norm in
                          >> the high-tech world since pretty much day one. Even the scientists on
                          >> the Manhattan Project were called "longhairs", because, well, many of
                          >> them were. It's the culture...SHORThairs are the "counterculture" here.
                          >
                          > http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/longhair
                          >
                          > Definition #2.

                          Yup. :-)

                          >> (well, and IBM..)
                          >
                          > That's not counterculture, that's a cult! :)

                          Ohhh yes.

                          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ