Re: [midatlanticretro] electric cafe'

  • Christian Liendo
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 8, 2013
      Before everyone starts tearing me apart about Kraftwerk being Electronic Music or not.

      Electric Café is the ninth studio album by the electronic group Kraftwerk, originally released in 1986.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Caf%C3%A9
    • Bill Sudbrink
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 8, 2013
        Well, if you want some "computer music", you could do
        worse than Tomita's "The Bermuda Triangle". As well
        as synthesized music, it actually contains Tarbell
        format ASCII data incorporated into some tracks. Some
        day, I'll do a VCF exhibit where I decode those live
        as the vinyl plays.

        Bill S.
      • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 8, 2013
          Christian Liendo <christian_liendo@...> writes:

          >How come no one mentioned Kraftwerk
          >www.kraftwerk.com/

          Maybe because they're not that good? Minimalistic and the repetition of
          "Wir fahren fahren fahren auf der Autobahn." Sheesh!

        • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 8, 2013
            "Bill Sudbrink" <wh.sudbrink@...> writes:

            >Well, if you want some "computer music", you could do worse than
            >Tomita's "The Bermuda Triangle". As well as synthesized music, it
            >actually contains Tarbell format ASCII data incorporated into some
            >tracks. Some day, I'll do a VCF exhibit where I decode those live as
            >the vinyl plays.

            That's a bit "long haired" for this group.

            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 8, 2013
              On 02/08/2013 03:54 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
              >> Well, if you want some "computer music", you could do worse than
              >> Tomita's "The Bermuda Triangle". As well as synthesized music, it
              >> actually contains Tarbell format ASCII data incorporated into some
              >> tracks. Some day, I'll do a VCF exhibit where I decode those live as
              >> the vinyl plays.
              >
              > That's a bit "long haired" for this group.

              HEY. What are you tryin' to SAY, you long-haired freak? ;)

              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              New Kensington, PA
            • ekoblentz
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 8, 2013
                >>> it actually contains Tarbell format ASCII data incorporated into some tracks. Some day, I'll do a VCF exhibit where I decode those live as the vinyl plays.

                >> That's a bit "long haired" for this group.

                I have no problem with it. Counterculture and hobby computers have intertwined histories.
              • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 8, 2013
                  Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                  > HEY. What are you tryin' to SAY, you long-haired freak? ;)

                  I resemble that remark!

                • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 8, 2013
                    <evan@...> writes

                    >I have no problem with it. Counterculture and hobby computers have intertwined histories.

                    I would never consider Isao Tomita to be "Counterculture." The Bermuda
                    Triange is Prokofiev (a la "Lt. Kije" -- if you don't know this music,
                    watch Woody Allen's parody on Tolstoy's "War and Peace" called "Love and
                    Death". Woody Allen goes dancing off with the grime reaper at the end
                    of the film to the Suite from Lt. Kije) laden with Tomita's synthesizer
                    "insensibilities."

                  • ekoblentz
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 8, 2013
                      >> I would never consider Isao Tomita to be "Counterculture."

                      Didn't mean the music. I meant long-haired hippies.
                    • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 8, 2013
                        <evan@...> writes:

                        >>> I would never consider Isao Tomita to be "Counterculture."
                        >
                        >Didn't mean the music. I meant long-haired hippies.

                        OK. I don't know any long-haired hippies. ;)

                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 8, 2013
                          On 02/08/2013 04:08 PM, evan@... wrote:

                          >>> That's a bit "long haired" for this group.
                          >
                          > I have no problem with it. Counterculture and hobby computers have intertwined histories.

                          If by "counterculture" you mean "long hair", that's been the norm in
                          the high-tech world since pretty much day one. Even the scientists on
                          the Manhattan Project were called "longhairs", because, well, many of
                          them were. It's the culture...SHORThairs are the "counterculture" here.

                          (well, and IBM..)

                          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                          New Kensington, PA
                        • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 9, 2013
                            Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                            > If by "counterculture" you mean "long hair", that's been the norm in
                            >the high-tech world since pretty much day one. Even the scientists on
                            >the Manhattan Project were called "longhairs", because, well, many of
                            >them were. It's the culture...SHORThairs are the "counterculture" here.

                            http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/longhair

                            Definition #2.

                            > (well, and IBM..)

                            That's not counterculture, that's a cult! :)

                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 9, 2013
                              On 02/09/2013 08:55 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                              > Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:
                              >
                              >> If by "counterculture" you mean "long hair", that's been the norm in
                              >> the high-tech world since pretty much day one. Even the scientists on
                              >> the Manhattan Project were called "longhairs", because, well, many of
                              >> them were. It's the culture...SHORThairs are the "counterculture" here.
                              >
                              > http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/longhair
                              >
                              > Definition #2.

                              Yup. :-)

                              >> (well, and IBM..)
                              >
                              > That's not counterculture, that's a cult! :)

                              Ohhh yes.

                              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ