Re: [midatlanticretro] electric cafe'

  • Christian Liendo
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 8 11:57 AM
      How come no one mentioned Kraftwerk
      www.kraftwerk.com/
    • Christian Liendo
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 8 12:16 PM
        Before everyone starts tearing me apart about Kraftwerk being Electronic Music or not.

        Electric Café is the ninth studio album by the electronic group Kraftwerk, originally released in 1986.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Caf%C3%A9
      • Bill Sudbrink
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 8 12:29 PM
          Well, if you want some "computer music", you could do
          worse than Tomita's "The Bermuda Triangle". As well
          as synthesized music, it actually contains Tarbell
          format ASCII data incorporated into some tracks. Some
          day, I'll do a VCF exhibit where I decode those live
          as the vinyl plays.

          Bill S.
        • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 8 12:44 PM
            Christian Liendo <christian_liendo@...> writes:

            >How come no one mentioned Kraftwerk
            >www.kraftwerk.com/

            Maybe because they're not that good? Minimalistic and the repetition of
            "Wir fahren fahren fahren auf der Autobahn." Sheesh!

          • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 8 12:54 PM
              "Bill Sudbrink" <wh.sudbrink@...> writes:

              >Well, if you want some "computer music", you could do worse than
              >Tomita's "The Bermuda Triangle". As well as synthesized music, it
              >actually contains Tarbell format ASCII data incorporated into some
              >tracks. Some day, I'll do a VCF exhibit where I decode those live as
              >the vinyl plays.

              That's a bit "long haired" for this group.

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 8 12:57 PM
                On 02/08/2013 03:54 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                >> Well, if you want some "computer music", you could do worse than
                >> Tomita's "The Bermuda Triangle". As well as synthesized music, it
                >> actually contains Tarbell format ASCII data incorporated into some
                >> tracks. Some day, I'll do a VCF exhibit where I decode those live as
                >> the vinyl plays.
                >
                > That's a bit "long haired" for this group.

                HEY. What are you tryin' to SAY, you long-haired freak? ;)

                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                New Kensington, PA
              • ekoblentz
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 8 1:08 PM
                  >>> it actually contains Tarbell format ASCII data incorporated into some tracks. Some day, I'll do a VCF exhibit where I decode those live as the vinyl plays.

                  >> That's a bit "long haired" for this group.

                  I have no problem with it. Counterculture and hobby computers have intertwined histories.
                • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 8 1:48 PM
                    Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                    > HEY. What are you tryin' to SAY, you long-haired freak? ;)

                    I resemble that remark!

                  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 8 1:54 PM
                      <evan@...> writes

                      >I have no problem with it. Counterculture and hobby computers have intertwined histories.

                      I would never consider Isao Tomita to be "Counterculture." The Bermuda
                      Triange is Prokofiev (a la "Lt. Kije" -- if you don't know this music,
                      watch Woody Allen's parody on Tolstoy's "War and Peace" called "Love and
                      Death". Woody Allen goes dancing off with the grime reaper at the end
                      of the film to the Suite from Lt. Kije) laden with Tomita's synthesizer
                      "insensibilities."

                    • ekoblentz
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 8 2:34 PM
                        >> I would never consider Isao Tomita to be "Counterculture."

                        Didn't mean the music. I meant long-haired hippies.
                      • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 8 4:35 PM
                          <evan@...> writes:

                          >>> I would never consider Isao Tomita to be "Counterculture."
                          >
                          >Didn't mean the music. I meant long-haired hippies.

                          OK. I don't know any long-haired hippies. ;)

                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 8 10:43 PM
                            On 02/08/2013 04:08 PM, evan@... wrote:

                            >>> That's a bit "long haired" for this group.
                            >
                            > I have no problem with it. Counterculture and hobby computers have intertwined histories.

                            If by "counterculture" you mean "long hair", that's been the norm in
                            the high-tech world since pretty much day one. Even the scientists on
                            the Manhattan Project were called "longhairs", because, well, many of
                            them were. It's the culture...SHORThairs are the "counterculture" here.

                            (well, and IBM..)

                            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                            New Kensington, PA
                          • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 9 5:55 AM
                              Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                              > If by "counterculture" you mean "long hair", that's been the norm in
                              >the high-tech world since pretty much day one. Even the scientists on
                              >the Manhattan Project were called "longhairs", because, well, many of
                              >them were. It's the culture...SHORThairs are the "counterculture" here.

                              http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/longhair

                              Definition #2.

                              > (well, and IBM..)

                              That's not counterculture, that's a cult! :)

                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 9 12:01 PM
                                On 02/09/2013 08:55 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                                > Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:
                                >
                                >> If by "counterculture" you mean "long hair", that's been the norm in
                                >> the high-tech world since pretty much day one. Even the scientists on
                                >> the Manhattan Project were called "longhairs", because, well, many of
                                >> them were. It's the culture...SHORThairs are the "counterculture" here.
                                >
                                > http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/longhair
                                >
                                > Definition #2.

                                Yup. :-)

                                >> (well, and IBM..)
                                >
                                > That's not counterculture, that's a cult! :)

                                Ohhh yes.

                                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ