electric cafe'

  • Jeff Jonas
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 8, 2013
      Since VCF included electronic music, this pertains to the group:

      Rutgers Camden center for the arts
      http://rcca.camden.rutgers.edu/

      includes electronic music from REAL: Rutgers Electro-Acoustic Lab

      http://rcca.camden.rutgers.edu/events
      More recently, RCCA presents Electric Café in the Stedman gallery—a series of performances organized by the Rutgers Electro-Acoustic Lab (REAL) under the direction of Dr. Mark Zaki, assistant professor of music. Past season performers have included Theremin performer and violinist Darryl Kubian, and electronic music composer Joo Won Park who demonstrated the Super-Collider.
    • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 8, 2013
        "Jeff Jonas" <jeff_s_jonas@...> writes:

        >Since VCF included electronic music, this pertains to the group:
        >
        >Rutgers Camden center for the arts http://rcca.camden.rutgers.edu/
        >
        >includes electronic music from REAL: Rutgers Electro-Acoustic Lab
        >
        >http://rcca.camden.rutgers.edu/events More recently, RCCA presents
        >Electric Caf=E9 in the Stedman gallery=97a series of performances
        >organized by the Rutgers Electro-Acoustic Lab (REAL) under the
        >direction of Dr. Mark Zaki, assistant professor of music. Past season
        >performers have included Theremin performer and violinist Darryl
        >Kubian, and electronic music composer Joo Won Park who demonstrated
        >the Super-Collider.

        Real electronic music. ;) And, somewhat vintage too!

        http://synergy-emusic.com/

      • Christian Liendo
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 8, 2013
          How come no one mentioned Kraftwerk
          www.kraftwerk.com/
        • Christian Liendo
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 8, 2013
            Before everyone starts tearing me apart about Kraftwerk being Electronic Music or not.

            Electric Café is the ninth studio album by the electronic group Kraftwerk, originally released in 1986.

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Caf%C3%A9
          • Bill Sudbrink
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 8, 2013
              Well, if you want some "computer music", you could do
              worse than Tomita's "The Bermuda Triangle". As well
              as synthesized music, it actually contains Tarbell
              format ASCII data incorporated into some tracks. Some
              day, I'll do a VCF exhibit where I decode those live
              as the vinyl plays.

              Bill S.
            • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 8, 2013
                Christian Liendo <christian_liendo@...> writes:

                >How come no one mentioned Kraftwerk
                >www.kraftwerk.com/

                Maybe because they're not that good? Minimalistic and the repetition of
                "Wir fahren fahren fahren auf der Autobahn." Sheesh!

              • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 8, 2013
                  "Bill Sudbrink" <wh.sudbrink@...> writes:

                  >Well, if you want some "computer music", you could do worse than
                  >Tomita's "The Bermuda Triangle". As well as synthesized music, it
                  >actually contains Tarbell format ASCII data incorporated into some
                  >tracks. Some day, I'll do a VCF exhibit where I decode those live as
                  >the vinyl plays.

                  That's a bit "long haired" for this group.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 8, 2013
                    On 02/08/2013 03:54 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                    >> Well, if you want some "computer music", you could do worse than
                    >> Tomita's "The Bermuda Triangle". As well as synthesized music, it
                    >> actually contains Tarbell format ASCII data incorporated into some
                    >> tracks. Some day, I'll do a VCF exhibit where I decode those live as
                    >> the vinyl plays.
                    >
                    > That's a bit "long haired" for this group.

                    HEY. What are you tryin' to SAY, you long-haired freak? ;)

                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                    New Kensington, PA
                  • ekoblentz
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 8, 2013
                      >>> it actually contains Tarbell format ASCII data incorporated into some tracks. Some day, I'll do a VCF exhibit where I decode those live as the vinyl plays.

                      >> That's a bit "long haired" for this group.

                      I have no problem with it. Counterculture and hobby computers have intertwined histories.
                    • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 8, 2013
                        Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                        > HEY. What are you tryin' to SAY, you long-haired freak? ;)

                        I resemble that remark!

                      • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 8, 2013
                          <evan@...> writes

                          >I have no problem with it. Counterculture and hobby computers have intertwined histories.

                          I would never consider Isao Tomita to be "Counterculture." The Bermuda
                          Triange is Prokofiev (a la "Lt. Kije" -- if you don't know this music,
                          watch Woody Allen's parody on Tolstoy's "War and Peace" called "Love and
                          Death". Woody Allen goes dancing off with the grime reaper at the end
                          of the film to the Suite from Lt. Kije) laden with Tomita's synthesizer
                          "insensibilities."

                        • ekoblentz
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 8, 2013
                            >> I would never consider Isao Tomita to be "Counterculture."

                            Didn't mean the music. I meant long-haired hippies.
                          • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 8, 2013
                              <evan@...> writes:

                              >>> I would never consider Isao Tomita to be "Counterculture."
                              >
                              >Didn't mean the music. I meant long-haired hippies.

                              OK. I don't know any long-haired hippies. ;)

                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 8, 2013
                                On 02/08/2013 04:08 PM, evan@... wrote:

                                >>> That's a bit "long haired" for this group.
                                >
                                > I have no problem with it. Counterculture and hobby computers have intertwined histories.

                                If by "counterculture" you mean "long hair", that's been the norm in
                                the high-tech world since pretty much day one. Even the scientists on
                                the Manhattan Project were called "longhairs", because, well, many of
                                them were. It's the culture...SHORThairs are the "counterculture" here.

                                (well, and IBM..)

                                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                New Kensington, PA
                              • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 9, 2013
                                  Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                                  > If by "counterculture" you mean "long hair", that's been the norm in
                                  >the high-tech world since pretty much day one. Even the scientists on
                                  >the Manhattan Project were called "longhairs", because, well, many of
                                  >them were. It's the culture...SHORThairs are the "counterculture" here.

                                  http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/longhair

                                  Definition #2.

                                  > (well, and IBM..)

                                  That's not counterculture, that's a cult! :)

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Feb 9, 2013
                                    On 02/09/2013 08:55 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                                    > Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:
                                    >
                                    >> If by "counterculture" you mean "long hair", that's been the norm in
                                    >> the high-tech world since pretty much day one. Even the scientists on
                                    >> the Manhattan Project were called "longhairs", because, well, many of
                                    >> them were. It's the culture...SHORThairs are the "counterculture" here.
                                    >
                                    > http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/longhair
                                    >
                                    > Definition #2.

                                    Yup. :-)

                                    >> (well, and IBM..)
                                    >
                                    > That's not counterculture, that's a cult! :)

                                    Ohhh yes.

                                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ