[midatlanticretro] Re: The VCFSE Press Release

  • Bill Sudbrink
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 7, 2013
      I find the hubris of the name to be off putting.
      I think I'll title my collection:

      The Western Hemisphere Computer Museum

      Bill S.
    • Stephen L
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 7, 2013
        > Do you know what parts of the SAGE system are in his collection? I
        > have a personal interest, having worked on the system.

        --- Hi Mike,

        Here is a link to a pic I took of Lonnie's SAGE artifacts:
        http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll430/shlafferty/photos%20for%20postings/SAGEartifactsMimms.jpg

        You can identify what's there, far better than I but it includes the light gun, a vacuum tube logic module and CRT select panel (for want of a better term). It's a rough snapshot, as I didn't discover it until we were leaving that building.

        Fascinating that you actually worked on the SAGE system. Really enjoyed your web pages on that. With modem networking, real time computing, analog-to-digital radar interfaces, core memory and high resolution computer graphic displays with interactive light guns, SAGE was a truly stunning achievement for its time. I guess what amazes me the most is that they actually got all that to work in that era!
      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 7, 2013
          On Thu, 7 Feb 2013, Stephen L wrote:

          >> Do you know what parts of the SAGE system are in his collection?
          >> have a personal interest, having worked on the system.
          >
          > --- Hi Mike,
          >
          > Here is a link to a pic I took of Lonnie's SAGE artifacts:
          > http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll430/shlafferty/photos%20for%20posti\
          > ngs/SAGEartifactsMimms.jpg
          > <http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll430/shlafferty/photos%20for%20post\
          > ings/SAGEartifactsMimms.jpg>
          >
          > You can identify what's there, far better than I but it includes the
          > light gun, a vacuum tube logic module and CRT select panel (for want of
          > a better term). It's a rough snapshot, as I didn't discover it until we
          > were leaving that building.
          >
          > Fascinating that you actually worked on the SAGE system. Really enjoyed
          > your web pages on that. With modem networking, real time computing,
          > analog-to-digital radar interfaces, core memory and high resolution
          > computer graphic displays with interactive light guns, SAGE was a truly
          > stunning achievement for its time. I guess what amazes me the most is
          > that they actually got all that to work in that era!

          Thanks, Steve. The light gun is a real treasure - there aren't many of
          those around. The gray switch modules are also from a display scope.
          The two with the large buttons were "off-centering" modules, and were used
          to select areas of the display to zoom in on. The module with the smaller
          buttons was either from an Input Data Selection panel (or "wing") which
          was attached to the side of some display scopes, or an Auxiliary Console.

          It took a dedicated team of technicians to keep those systems running,
          but by duplexing critical equipment they were able to maintain a high
          level of uptime. Preventive maintenance played a big part in that uptime
          figure.

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        • David Greelish
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 26, 2013
            Hey everyone,

            Do you think humor could bring more support to a Kickstarter campaign? The VCFSE Kickstarter campaign has a little over four days left, ending at 6 pm eastern on Sunday. At $1400 with an $800 goal, no doubt we've done great! So, I thought, "what the heck", I'll try and inject some comedy into it and just maybe it will garner more attention and more support. You can change the title any time and the URL stays the same.

            Oh, anyone coming out here then? Going to exhibit?

            Best,

            David Greelish
            - Computer Historian, Writer, Podcaster & Speaker
            - Founder of the Atlanta Historical Computing Society

            http://about.me/davidgreelish

            Director of the Vintage Computer Festival Southeast 1.0 - 4/20 & 4/21, 2013

            http://vintage.org/2013/southeast/

          • Christian Liendo
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 2, 2013
              Congrats to David on this..