OT - Does anyone have a DB-25 punch?

  • Bob Applegate
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 7, 2013
      I'm building a non-vintage computer project that has a single DB-25 connector on the back panel. Does someone have a DB-25 punch? I would be happy to mail my chassis along with money for return postage if someone could cut a single opening in the rear panel.

      Punches cost far more than a chassis, that's why I'm offering to send the chassis rather than ask to borrow the tool.

      Thanks,

      Bob
    • Bill Sudbrink
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 7, 2013
        Bob Applegate wrote:
        > I'm building a non-vintage computer project that has a single DB-25
        > connector on the back panel. Does someone have a DB-25 punch? I would
        > be happy to mail my chassis along with money for return postage if
        > someone could cut a single opening in the rear panel.
        >
        > Punches cost far more than a chassis, that's why I'm offering to send
        > the chassis rather than ask to borrow the tool.

        Let me check after work this evening. I bought a box full of punches
        at a hamfest a few years back. If I have more than one DB-25 punch, I'll
        sell or trade it to you. I know that there are two DB-9s a Centronics
        and a DB-25 in there, I bet there's an extra DB-25 too.

        Bill S.
      • corey986
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 7, 2013
          Are you not able to stencil it out and drill the corners, then use a jig saw to cut out the shape. That's what I did to put a serial connector on the back of my Briel Micro Altair's metal back.

          Cheers,
          Corey

          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Applegate" wrote:

          > I'm building a non-vintage computer project that has a single DB-25 connector on the back panel. Does someone have a DB-25 punch? I would be happy to mail my chassis along with money for return postage if someone could cut a single opening in the rear panel.
          >
          > Punches cost far more than a chassis, that's why I'm offering to send the chassis rather than ask to borrow the tool.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Bob

        • Bob Applegate
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 7, 2013
            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, corey986 wrote:

            > Are you not able to stencil it out and drill the corners, then use a jig saw to cut out the shape. That's what I did to put a serial connector on the back of my Briel Micro Altair's metal back.

            I could, but it's just a lot more work, a lot messier, and doesn't give as nice of a result.

            Bob
          • Bill Sudbrink
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 7, 2013
              Bill Sudbrink wrote:
              > Bob Applegate wrote:
              > > I'm building a non-vintage computer project that has a
              > > single DB-25 connector on the back panel. Does someone
              > > have a DB-25 punch? I would be happy to mail my chassis
              > > along with money for return postage if someone could cut
              > > a single opening in the rear panel.
              > >
              > > Punches cost far more than a chassis, that's why I'm
              > > offering to send the chassis rather than ask to borrow
              > > the tool.
              >
              > Let me check after work this evening. I bought a box full
              > of punches at a hamfest a few years back. If I have more
              > than one DB-25 punch, I'll sell or trade it to you. I know
              > that there are two DB-9s a Centronics and a DB-25 in there,
              > I bet there's an extra DB-25 too.

              You're in luck. I have a spare GREENLEE RS232 D-SUBMINITURE
              PANEL PUNCH. Complete with instructions and case. Let me
              know how you want to proceed. We should probably take this
              off list.

              Bill S.