Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: The VCFSE Press Release

  • ekoblentz
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 7, 2013
      >> True, but, from what I know and have heard, this person's collection is amazing.

      I understand why people collect multiples of specific models (as do we), but I don't understand the point of exhibiting such vast quantities of multiples. How does showing 20 of the same thing make it a better exhibit?
    • Stephen L
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 7, 2013
        > As I understand it, the new "Computer Museum of America" is one person's private collection.
        > I don't see how owning dozens/hundreds of redundant models of Macs is interesting to anyone.

        --- CMoA is the brainchild of Lonnie Mimms. He has been working for many years to find a way of creating a viable public computer history museum in the Southeast. It is to be based on his personal collection, which includes Cray I, Cray II, original working Apple I, Xerox Alto, parts of SAGE, NASA spacecraft computer and countless other notable machines. You can see a few pix here:

        http://atlhcs.org/2012/02/17/mimms-tour/

        and many more here:

        While CMoA will have a significant exhibit at VCFSE, of course it will only be only a small part of the entire collection, which is housed in three buildings. VCFSE may include an offsite tour of the CMoA collection. Check with VCFSE for details.

        By the way, the stacks of Macs illustration used by one of the media articles about VCFSE hardly represents the Apple exhibit which will be there. As you can see from the list of separate rooms in the VCFSE press release, it should offer a comprehensive overview of the Apple legacy, with an impressive display of historic Apple products.

        Note: I am not associated with VCFSE in any way. Just speaking from previous personal acquaintance with AHCS and the good people involved.

        Steve L.

      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 7, 2013
          On Thu, 7 Feb 2013, Stephen L wrote:

          > --- CMoA is the brainchild of Lonnie Mimms. He has been working for many
          > years to find a way of creating a viable public computer history museum
          > in the Southeast. It is to be based on his personal collection, which
          > includes Cray I, Cray II, original working Apple I, Xerox Alto, parts of
          > SAGE, NASA spacecraft computer and countless other notable machines. You
          > can see a few pix here:

          Steve:

          Do you know what parts of the SAGE system are in his collection? I
          have a personal interest, having worked on the system.

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        • Bill Sudbrink
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 7, 2013
            I find the hubris of the name to be off putting.
            I think I'll title my collection:

            The Western Hemisphere Computer Museum

            Bill S.
          • Stephen L
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 7, 2013
              > Do you know what parts of the SAGE system are in his collection? I
              > have a personal interest, having worked on the system.

              --- Hi Mike,

              Here is a link to a pic I took of Lonnie's SAGE artifacts:
              http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll430/shlafferty/photos%20for%20postings/SAGEartifactsMimms.jpg

              You can identify what's there, far better than I but it includes the light gun, a vacuum tube logic module and CRT select panel (for want of a better term). It's a rough snapshot, as I didn't discover it until we were leaving that building.

              Fascinating that you actually worked on the SAGE system. Really enjoyed your web pages on that. With modem networking, real time computing, analog-to-digital radar interfaces, core memory and high resolution computer graphic displays with interactive light guns, SAGE was a truly stunning achievement for its time. I guess what amazes me the most is that they actually got all that to work in that era!
            • Mike Loewen
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 7, 2013
                On Thu, 7 Feb 2013, Stephen L wrote:

                >> Do you know what parts of the SAGE system are in his collection?
                >> have a personal interest, having worked on the system.
                >
                > --- Hi Mike,
                >
                > Here is a link to a pic I took of Lonnie's SAGE artifacts:
                > http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll430/shlafferty/photos%20for%20posti\
                > ngs/SAGEartifactsMimms.jpg
                > <http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll430/shlafferty/photos%20for%20post\
                > ings/SAGEartifactsMimms.jpg>
                >
                > You can identify what's there, far better than I but it includes the
                > light gun, a vacuum tube logic module and CRT select panel (for want of
                > a better term). It's a rough snapshot, as I didn't discover it until we
                > were leaving that building.
                >
                > Fascinating that you actually worked on the SAGE system. Really enjoyed
                > your web pages on that. With modem networking, real time computing,
                > analog-to-digital radar interfaces, core memory and high resolution
                > computer graphic displays with interactive light guns, SAGE was a truly
                > stunning achievement for its time. I guess what amazes me the most is
                > that they actually got all that to work in that era!

                Thanks, Steve. The light gun is a real treasure - there aren't many of
                those around. The gray switch modules are also from a display scope.
                The two with the large buttons were "off-centering" modules, and were used
                to select areas of the display to zoom in on. The module with the smaller
                buttons was either from an Input Data Selection panel (or "wing") which
                was attached to the side of some display scopes, or an Auxiliary Console.

                It took a dedicated team of technicians to keep those systems running,
                but by duplexing critical equipment they were able to maintain a high
                level of uptime. Preventive maintenance played a big part in that uptime
                figure.

                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
              • David Greelish
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 26, 2013
                  Hey everyone,

                  Do you think humor could bring more support to a Kickstarter campaign? The VCFSE Kickstarter campaign has a little over four days left, ending at 6 pm eastern on Sunday. At $1400 with an $800 goal, no doubt we've done great! So, I thought, "what the heck", I'll try and inject some comedy into it and just maybe it will garner more attention and more support. You can change the title any time and the URL stays the same.

                  Oh, anyone coming out here then? Going to exhibit?

                  Best,

                  David Greelish
                  - Computer Historian, Writer, Podcaster & Speaker
                  - Founder of the Atlanta Historical Computing Society

                  http://about.me/davidgreelish

                  Director of the Vintage Computer Festival Southeast 1.0 - 4/20 & 4/21, 2013

                  http://vintage.org/2013/southeast/

                • Christian Liendo
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 2, 2013
                    Congrats to David on this..