Re: OT: "The Americans"

  • RonK
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 6, 2013
      I started watching "The Americans" on Hulu... too violent and gross for me! If you want to see old computers, I would suggest "The History of Silicon Valley" on NOVA at PBS. Lots of great memories there.

      RonK

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dave McGuire wrote:

      > On 02/04/2013 09:21 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
      > >> Finally watched "The Americans" pilot episode, on Hulu (Dave G. -- thank
      > >> you anyhow for recording it). Thought it was pretty good. L ooking
      > >> forward to see vintage computers in future episodes! I have no idea
      > >> what, if anything, they're doing to make the KGB terminal s nor the
      > >> travel agency PET look like they're running something. We shall see...
      > >
      > > Look closely to see if they have a cyrillic character set! ;)
      > >
      > > I have a Cyrillic DRCS (Downline loadable Character Set) for the VT200
      > > and later terminals. I don't recall if the VT100 accepts DRCS.
      >
      > There's no support for downloadable character sets in the VT100
      > family, even with an AVO installed. The VT220 was the first to support it.
      >
      > > It was
      > > always a hoot to install them on the terminals in the DoD labs when US
      > > dignitaries paid us a visit! :)
      >
      > I bet. ;)
      >
      > -Dave
      >
      > --
      > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      > New Kensington, PA

    • ekoblentz
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 6, 2013
        Commodore PET sighting! They show two of them in the spy's travel agency office. One was Jeff B.'s.

        I was told by the prop woman the tonight or next week will show the Russian embassy and the DEC terminals that were formerly ours. Probably miscellaneous printers, AS3-33, etc. too.
      • ekoblentz
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 6, 2013
          >> They show two of them

          Oops, I meant "showed" in the past tense, right at the start of tonight's episode. So go look on Hulu or iTunes.
        • ekoblentz
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 6, 2013
            >> violent and gross

            That's one of the things I like about it. Also the sex and politics.

            >> If you want to see old computers, I would suggest

            The thing is, they're not just any computers -- they're OUR computers (or they were before we sold them to the prop company.)
          • ekoblentz
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 6, 2013
              ...and we see our DEC terminals, right in the last few minutes! First in the main embassy office and then in a private office. Neat-o.

              They also showed the PETs and various printers multiple times.
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 11 4:07 AM
                Good news: FX ordered a second season (13 more episodes) of "The Americans". I guess it's because viewers love all computer gear. :)

                Kidding aside, it really is a good show. I recommend catching up via Hulu or iTunes before diving into the current episodes.