Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: "The Americans"

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 4, 2013
      On 02/04/2013 09:21 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
      >> Finally watched "The Americans" pilot episode, on Hulu (Dave G. -- thank
      >> you anyhow for recording it). Thought it was pretty good. L ooking
      >> forward to see vintage computers in future episodes! I have no idea
      >> what, if anything, they're doing to make the KGB terminal s nor the
      >> travel agency PET look like they're running something. We shall see...
      >
      > Look closely to see if they have a cyrillic character set! ;)
      >
      > I have a Cyrillic DRCS (Downline loadable Character Set) for the VT200
      > and later terminals. I don't recall if the VT100 accepts DRCS.

      There's no support for downloadable character sets in the VT100
      family, even with an AVO installed. The VT220 was the first to support it.

      > It was
      > always a hoot to install them on the terminals in the DoD labs when US
      > dignitaries paid us a visit! :)

      I bet. ;)

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • RonK
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 6, 2013
        I started watching "The Americans" on Hulu... too violent and gross for me! If you want to see old computers, I would suggest "The History of Silicon Valley" on NOVA at PBS. Lots of great memories there.

        RonK

        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dave McGuire wrote:

        > On 02/04/2013 09:21 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
        > >> Finally watched "The Americans" pilot episode, on Hulu (Dave G. -- thank
        > >> you anyhow for recording it). Thought it was pretty good. L ooking
        > >> forward to see vintage computers in future episodes! I have no idea
        > >> what, if anything, they're doing to make the KGB terminal s nor the
        > >> travel agency PET look like they're running something. We shall see...
        > >
        > > Look closely to see if they have a cyrillic character set! ;)
        > >
        > > I have a Cyrillic DRCS (Downline loadable Character Set) for the VT200
        > > and later terminals. I don't recall if the VT100 accepts DRCS.
        >
        > There's no support for downloadable character sets in the VT100
        > family, even with an AVO installed. The VT220 was the first to support it.
        >
        > > It was
        > > always a hoot to install them on the terminals in the DoD labs when US
        > > dignitaries paid us a visit! :)
        >
        > I bet. ;)
        >
        > -Dave
        >
        > --
        > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        > New Kensington, PA

      • ekoblentz
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 6, 2013
          Commodore PET sighting! They show two of them in the spy's travel agency office. One was Jeff B.'s.

          I was told by the prop woman the tonight or next week will show the Russian embassy and the DEC terminals that were formerly ours. Probably miscellaneous printers, AS3-33, etc. too.
        • ekoblentz
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 6, 2013
            >> They show two of them

            Oops, I meant "showed" in the past tense, right at the start of tonight's episode. So go look on Hulu or iTunes.
          • ekoblentz
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 6, 2013
              >> violent and gross

              That's one of the things I like about it. Also the sex and politics.

              >> If you want to see old computers, I would suggest

              The thing is, they're not just any computers -- they're OUR computers (or they were before we sold them to the prop company.)
            • ekoblentz
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 6, 2013
                ...and we see our DEC terminals, right in the last few minutes! First in the main embassy office and then in a private office. Neat-o.

                They also showed the PETs and various printers multiple times.
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 11, 2013
                  Good news: FX ordered a second season (13 more episodes) of "The Americans". I guess it's because viewers love all computer gear. :)

                  Kidding aside, it really is a good show. I recommend catching up via Hulu or iTunes before diving into the current episodes.