The VCFSE Press Release

  • David Greelish
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 4, 2013
      Hi there,

      If I might again please share with everyone on the list about our upcoming BIG show!

      Announcing the First Ever Vintage Computer Festival Southeast

      The original Vintage Computer Festival was founded by Sellam Ismail and held in Pleasanton, California during October, 1997. Now, finally, the southeast region of the US gets its very own!

      ROSWELL, Georgia – February 4, 2013 – Vintage Computer Festival Southeast – a public celebration of computer history and nostalgia – will be held on Saturday & Sunday, April 20 & 21. Our mission remains the same as that very first show:

      The main mission of the Vintage Computer Festival is to promote the preservation of "obsolete" computers by offering attendees a chance to experience the technologies, people and stories that embody the remarkable tale of the computer revolution.

      We will educate and entertain!

      - A large premier exhibit will welcome each attendee as they enter the festival - The Apple Pop-Up Museum which tells the story of how a small start-up company, founded in a garage by two young friends, became the leading consumer electronics and personal computer company in the world. The exhibit displays an exclusive collection of game-changing Apple personal computers and consumer electronic products while presenting the history of the company since its founding in 1976 to the present. An Apple I, the first disk ][ and controller card, original apple ][, original Lisa and even a Xerox Alto are among the rare artifacts to be displayed, plus much, much more.

      Within the 6,000 square feet of display space that this premier exhibit occupies will be the following rooms: Pre-Apple Room, Apple I Room, apple ][ Room, Turmoil Years Room, No Founders Left Room, Jobs’ Come Back Room, Ive’s Colors Room, iPod / iPhone / iPad Room, The Timeline Lounge and Apple’s Present to the Future Room.

      - Dozens of exhibitors will be present from all over the region, plus many from other parts of the country. A large variety of historic computers will be represented in the exhibit hall for live demonstrations by their owners.

      - A vintage game station will be available for children and adults to play classic games on classic computer and game console systems.

      - Two retrocomputing kit building classes will be held, plus continual, inexpensive introduction to soldering classes.

      - Many luminous speakers and special presenters are now being scheduled.

      The VCFSE is hosted and produced by the Computer Museum of America and the Atlanta Historical Computing Society.

      One-day adult tickets to the VCFSE are $10, with a two-day pass for $15. Children ages 17 and younger are admitted free when accompanied by a parent or guardian. For hours, location, and other details, please visit vintage.org/2013/southeast

      Contact:

      David Greelish, Director, Vintage Computer Festival Southeast 1.0

      david@... | 770-733-6702

      Best,

      David Greelish
      - Computer Historian, Writer, Podcaster & Speaker
      - Founder of the Atlanta Historical Computing Society

      http://about.me/davidgreelish

      Director of the Vintage Computer Festival Southeast 1.0 - 4/20 & 4/21, 2013

      http://vintage.org/2013/southeast/

    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 6, 2013
        On 2/4/2013 12:05 PM, David Greelish wrote:
        Hi there,

        If I might again please share with everyone on the list about our upcoming BIG show!

        Announcing the First Ever Vintage Computer Festival Southeast

        just saw this on ZDNet about VCFse
        http://www.zdnet.com/apple-museum-to-pop-up-at-vintage-computer-festival-outside-atlanta-7000010805/

      • Bill Sudbrink
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 6, 2013
          Ya' know, I've been meaning to ask... The last thing I can find
          about "The Computer Museum of America" was that it was in San
          Diego and it closed in 2005. What it this organization that is
          a coproducer of VCFSE?

          Bill S.
        • ekoblentz
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 6, 2013
            >> What it this organization that is a coproducer of VCFSE?

            As I understand it, the new "Computer Museum of America" is one person's private collection.

            I don't see how owning dozens/hundreds of redundant models of Macs is interesting to anyone.
          • Mike
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 7, 2013

              > >> What it this organization that is a coproducer of VCFSE?
              >
              > As I understand it, the new "Computer Museum of America" is one person's private collection.

              True, but, from what I know and have heard, this person's collection is amazing.

              Regards,
              Mike W.

              > I don't see how owning dozens/hundreds of redundant models of Macs is interesting to anyone.

            • corey986
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 7, 2013
                I don't know about that... I think it's kinda cool...

                http://s824.photobucket.com/albums/zz170/alker33/Lisa%20Collection/?action=view¤t=10.jpg

                Cheers,
                Corey

                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 7, 2013
                  and no this person is not the "computer museum of america", but I love this pic of all the Lisa's.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 7, 2013
                    >> True, but, from what I know and have heard, this person's collection is amazing.

                    I understand why people collect multiples of specific models (as do we), but I don't understand the point of exhibiting such vast quantities of multiples. How does showing 20 of the same thing make it a better exhibit?
                  • Stephen L
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 7, 2013
                      > As I understand it, the new "Computer Museum of America" is one person's private collection.
                      > I don't see how owning dozens/hundreds of redundant models of Macs is interesting to anyone.

                      --- CMoA is the brainchild of Lonnie Mimms. He has been working for many years to find a way of creating a viable public computer history museum in the Southeast. It is to be based on his personal collection, which includes Cray I, Cray II, original working Apple I, Xerox Alto, parts of SAGE, NASA spacecraft computer and countless other notable machines. You can see a few pix here:

                      http://atlhcs.org/2012/02/17/mimms-tour/

                      and many more here:

                      While CMoA will have a significant exhibit at VCFSE, of course it will only be only a small part of the entire collection, which is housed in three buildings. VCFSE may include an offsite tour of the CMoA collection. Check with VCFSE for details.

                      By the way, the stacks of Macs illustration used by one of the media articles about VCFSE hardly represents the Apple exhibit which will be there. As you can see from the list of separate rooms in the VCFSE press release, it should offer a comprehensive overview of the Apple legacy, with an impressive display of historic Apple products.

                      Note: I am not associated with VCFSE in any way. Just speaking from previous personal acquaintance with AHCS and the good people involved.

                      Steve L.

                    • Mike Loewen
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 7, 2013
                        On Thu, 7 Feb 2013, Stephen L wrote:

                        > --- CMoA is the brainchild of Lonnie Mimms. He has been working for many
                        > years to find a way of creating a viable public computer history museum
                        > in the Southeast. It is to be based on his personal collection, which
                        > includes Cray I, Cray II, original working Apple I, Xerox Alto, parts of
                        > SAGE, NASA spacecraft computer and countless other notable machines. You
                        > can see a few pix here:

                        Steve:

                        Do you know what parts of the SAGE system are in his collection? I
                        have a personal interest, having worked on the system.

                        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                      • Bill Sudbrink
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 7, 2013
                          I find the hubris of the name to be off putting.
                          I think I'll title my collection:

                          The Western Hemisphere Computer Museum

                          Bill S.
                        • Stephen L
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 7, 2013
                            > Do you know what parts of the SAGE system are in his collection? I
                            > have a personal interest, having worked on the system.

                            --- Hi Mike,

                            Here is a link to a pic I took of Lonnie's SAGE artifacts:
                            http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll430/shlafferty/photos%20for%20postings/SAGEartifactsMimms.jpg

                            You can identify what's there, far better than I but it includes the light gun, a vacuum tube logic module and CRT select panel (for want of a better term). It's a rough snapshot, as I didn't discover it until we were leaving that building.

                            Fascinating that you actually worked on the SAGE system. Really enjoyed your web pages on that. With modem networking, real time computing, analog-to-digital radar interfaces, core memory and high resolution computer graphic displays with interactive light guns, SAGE was a truly stunning achievement for its time. I guess what amazes me the most is that they actually got all that to work in that era!
                          • Mike Loewen
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 7, 2013
                              On Thu, 7 Feb 2013, Stephen L wrote:

                              >> Do you know what parts of the SAGE system are in his collection?
                              >> have a personal interest, having worked on the system.
                              >
                              > --- Hi Mike,
                              >
                              > Here is a link to a pic I took of Lonnie's SAGE artifacts:
                              > http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll430/shlafferty/photos%20for%20posti\
                              > ngs/SAGEartifactsMimms.jpg
                              > <http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll430/shlafferty/photos%20for%20post\
                              > ings/SAGEartifactsMimms.jpg>
                              >
                              > You can identify what's there, far better than I but it includes the
                              > light gun, a vacuum tube logic module and CRT select panel (for want of
                              > a better term). It's a rough snapshot, as I didn't discover it until we
                              > were leaving that building.
                              >
                              > Fascinating that you actually worked on the SAGE system. Really enjoyed
                              > your web pages on that. With modem networking, real time computing,
                              > analog-to-digital radar interfaces, core memory and high resolution
                              > computer graphic displays with interactive light guns, SAGE was a truly
                              > stunning achievement for its time. I guess what amazes me the most is
                              > that they actually got all that to work in that era!

                              Thanks, Steve. The light gun is a real treasure - there aren't many of
                              those around. The gray switch modules are also from a display scope.
                              The two with the large buttons were "off-centering" modules, and were used
                              to select areas of the display to zoom in on. The module with the smaller
                              buttons was either from an Input Data Selection panel (or "wing") which
                              was attached to the side of some display scopes, or an Auxiliary Console.

                              It took a dedicated team of technicians to keep those systems running,
                              but by duplexing critical equipment they were able to maintain a high
                              level of uptime. Preventive maintenance played a big part in that uptime
                              figure.

                              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                            • David Greelish
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 26, 2013
                                Hey everyone,

                                Do you think humor could bring more support to a Kickstarter campaign? The VCFSE Kickstarter campaign has a little over four days left, ending at 6 pm eastern on Sunday. At $1400 with an $800 goal, no doubt we've done great! So, I thought, "what the heck", I'll try and inject some comedy into it and just maybe it will garner more attention and more support. You can change the title any time and the URL stays the same.

                                Oh, anyone coming out here then? Going to exhibit?

                                Best,

                                David Greelish
                                - Computer Historian, Writer, Podcaster & Speaker
                                - Founder of the Atlanta Historical Computing Society

                                http://about.me/davidgreelish

                                Director of the Vintage Computer Festival Southeast 1.0 - 4/20 & 4/21, 2013

                                http://vintage.org/2013/southeast/

                              • Christian Liendo
                                Message 15 of 15 , Apr 2, 2013
                                  Congrats to David on this..