OT: "The Americans"

  • ekoblentz
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 4, 2013
      Finally watched "The Americans" pilot episode, on Hulu (Dave G. -- thank you anyhow for recording it). Thought it was pretty good. Looking forward to see vintage computers in future episodes! I have no idea what, if anything, they're doing to make the KGB terminals nor the travel agency PET look like they're running something. We shall see...
    • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 4, 2013
        <evan@...> writes:

        >Finally watched "The Americans" pilot episode, on Hulu (Dave G. -- thank
        >you anyhow for recording it). Thought it was pretty good. L ooking
        >forward to see vintage computers in future episodes! I have no idea
        >what, if anything, they're doing to make the KGB terminal s nor the
        >travel agency PET look like they're running something. We shall see...

        Look closely to see if they have a cyrillic character set! ;)

        I have a Cyrillic DRCS (Downline loadable Character Set) for the VT200
        and later terminals. I don't recall if the VT100 accepts DRCS. It was
        always a hoot to install them on the terminals in the DoD labs when US
        dignitaries paid us a visit! :)

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 4, 2013
          On 02/04/2013 09:21 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
          >> Finally watched "The Americans" pilot episode, on Hulu (Dave G. -- thank
          >> you anyhow for recording it). Thought it was pretty good. L ooking
          >> forward to see vintage computers in future episodes! I have no idea
          >> what, if anything, they're doing to make the KGB terminal s nor the
          >> travel agency PET look like they're running something. We shall see...
          >
          > Look closely to see if they have a cyrillic character set! ;)
          >
          > I have a Cyrillic DRCS (Downline loadable Character Set) for the VT200
          > and later terminals. I don't recall if the VT100 accepts DRCS.

          There's no support for downloadable character sets in the VT100
          family, even with an AVO installed. The VT220 was the first to support it.

          > It was
          > always a hoot to install them on the terminals in the DoD labs when US
          > dignitaries paid us a visit! :)

          I bet. ;)

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
        • RonK
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 6, 2013
            I started watching "The Americans" on Hulu... too violent and gross for me! If you want to see old computers, I would suggest "The History of Silicon Valley" on NOVA at PBS. Lots of great memories there.

            RonK

            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dave McGuire wrote:

            > On 02/04/2013 09:21 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
            > >> Finally watched "The Americans" pilot episode, on Hulu (Dave G. -- thank
            > >> you anyhow for recording it). Thought it was pretty good. L ooking
            > >> forward to see vintage computers in future episodes! I have no idea
            > >> what, if anything, they're doing to make the KGB terminal s nor the
            > >> travel agency PET look like they're running something. We shall see...
            > >
            > > Look closely to see if they have a cyrillic character set! ;)
            > >
            > > I have a Cyrillic DRCS (Downline loadable Character Set) for the VT200
            > > and later terminals. I don't recall if the VT100 accepts DRCS.
            >
            > There's no support for downloadable character sets in the VT100
            > family, even with an AVO installed. The VT220 was the first to support it.
            >
            > > It was
            > > always a hoot to install them on the terminals in the DoD labs when US
            > > dignitaries paid us a visit! :)
            >
            > I bet. ;)
            >
            > -Dave
            >
            > --
            > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            > New Kensington, PA

          • ekoblentz
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 6, 2013
              Commodore PET sighting! They show two of them in the spy's travel agency office. One was Jeff B.'s.

              I was told by the prop woman the tonight or next week will show the Russian embassy and the DEC terminals that were formerly ours. Probably miscellaneous printers, AS3-33, etc. too.
            • ekoblentz
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 6, 2013
                >> They show two of them

                Oops, I meant "showed" in the past tense, right at the start of tonight's episode. So go look on Hulu or iTunes.
              • ekoblentz
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 6, 2013
                  >> violent and gross

                  That's one of the things I like about it. Also the sex and politics.

                  >> If you want to see old computers, I would suggest

                  The thing is, they're not just any computers -- they're OUR computers (or they were before we sold them to the prop company.)
                • ekoblentz
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 6, 2013
                    ...and we see our DEC terminals, right in the last few minutes! First in the main embassy office and then in a private office. Neat-o.

                    They also showed the PETs and various printers multiple times.
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 11, 2013
                      Good news: FX ordered a second season (13 more episodes) of "The Americans". I guess it's because viewers love all computer gear. :)

                      Kidding aside, it really is a good show. I recommend catching up via Hulu or iTunes before diving into the current episodes.