Re: IMSAI 8080

  • corey986
    Message 1 of 61 , Feb 1, 2013
      Here are the scans...
      http://www.myapplecomputer.net/Sol-20/z80_upgrade/index.html

      they are pretty big at 1200dpi, so don't open them on a mobile connection the page is about 10+mb

      And don't mind the dust, I haven't cleaned the card yet...

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "DanielB" wrote:

      > I was wondering about that loose wire also. It's possible that it's not supposed to be connected to something permanently. On mine it's a stranded white with a piece of solid wire soldered on to the end. Someone also appears to have made a cap out of electrical tape to go on the end.
      >
      > I am probably going to stick with the Z80 CPU since I also got some disks of software that were originally used with this unit. Hopefully I will be able to get to the point where I can load from these disks.
      >
      > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, corey986 wrote:
      > >
      > > You don't happen to have documentation for the Dutronics board? I have one and have no clue how it hooks up. I only see where you plug it into the 8080a slot and a single wire that comes out that is supposed to hook up to something...
      > > email me directly at corey@ so I can ask you more questions about it.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Corey
      > >
      > > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, joshbensadon wrote:

      > > > A trade for a Ceramic 8080A + 8212 chip for the Dutronics board IMHO would be fair. It would let Daniel experience an original IMSAI 8080.
      > > >
      > > > The problem with the Dutronics board is when you hit STOP, you might not always land on an M1 cycle, so the EXAMINE & DEPOSIT buttons won't work until you are on an M1 cycle. You have to manually advance the processor with SINGLE STEP to the next M1.
      > > > And then there's the problem of running some software designed for the 8080A (4K BASIC is the common example). The Z80A is not a perfect replacement for the 8080A. The Dutronics board (with all it's extra logic chips) does a good job at coming *close* to mimic the 8080A.

    • DanielB
      Message 61 of 61 , May 14 1:24 PM
        Yep, front panel is working good now. One odd thing I have run into is that from the Zapple monitor I can write to the SMB's onboard RAM, but I cannot write to the RAM on the memory board but I can write to the memory board from the front panel.

        Dan