Re: IMSAI 8080

  • joshbensadon
    Message 1 of 61 , Jan 29, 2013
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, William Donzelli wrote:

      > > I don't like the part about going 10% over the cap's rated voltage, not
      > > for vintage stuff. Perhaps it's ok for rough testing new circuits/caps.
      >
      > Margin testing, as this is called, is the best thing you can do to
      > suspect capacitors like electrolytics.
      >
      > All caps fail. Would you rather caps fail under controlled conditions,
      > so other parts of the circuit are unharmed? Or would you rather have
      > them fail in circuit while you are upstairs, heating up some pizza?
      >
      > --
      > Will

      Can I have Pizza either way?

      Perhaps it's best to replace all the tantalum and electrolytic caps now before they fail? You can't be testing them prior to every start up of a vintage computer. We all know it's a matter of "when" and not "if" they will fail.
    • DanielB
      Message 61 of 61 , May 14, 2013
        Yep, front panel is working good now. One odd thing I have run into is that from the Zapple monitor I can write to the SMB's onboard RAM, but I cannot write to the RAM on the memory board but I can write to the memory board from the front panel.

        Dan