Original Mac introduction question

  • Richard Cini
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 29, 2013
      All --

      Last week was the 29th anniversary of the introduction of the original Macintosh. So, in a fit of nostalgia, I re-watched the video on YouTube from the "show" Steve Jobs did to introduce it. In it, he whips out a diskette and runs the demo which does a slide show of different screen shots and plays Chariots of Fire (I assume the Mac played it, but it could have been the audio feed from the conference center). Then, it "talks" to the crowd and turns the presentation back to Steve.

      Does anyone know anything about the mechanics of this demo? It appears to show static screens so I'm assuming it's a slide show? Has it ever been released into the wild?

      Rich

      --
      Rich Cini
      Collector of Classic Computers

    • David Greelish
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 29, 2013

        Does anyone know anything about the mechanics of this demo? It appears to
        show static screens so I'm assuming it's a slide show? Has it ever been
        released into the wild?

        Hi Rich,

        Here's the story as told by Andy Hertzfeld, "It Sure Is Great To Get Out Of That Bag!" http://folklore.org/StoryView.py?project=Macintosh&story=Intro_Demo.txt&topic=The%20Launch&sortOrder=Sort%20by%20Date&detail=medium

        Best,

        David Greelish
        - Computer Historian, Writer, Podcaster & Speaker
        - Founder of the Atlanta Historical Computing Society

        Producer of the Vintage Computer Festival Southeast 1.0 - 4/20 & 4/21, 2013

        http://about.me/davidgreelish

      • Rich Cini
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 30, 2013
          Thanks Dave. I had forgotten about Andy's folklore.org. IMHO the slide show demo is something that should be located and preserved. I have a Fat Mac at home and it would be awesome to run the demo on it.

          Rich Cini
          Sent from my iPhone

          On Jan 29, 2013, at 11:55 PM, David Greelish <dgreelish@...> wrote:

          Does anyone know anything about the mechanics of this demo? It appears to
          show static screens so I'm assuming it's a slide show? Has it ever been
          released into the wild?

          Hi Rich,

          Here's the story as told by Andy Hertzfeld, "It Sure Is Great To Get Out Of That Bag!" http://folklore.org/StoryView.py?project=Macintosh&story=Intro_Demo.txt&topic=The%20Launch&sortOrder=Sort%20by%20Date&detail=medium

          Best,

          David Greelish
          - Computer Historian, Writer, Podcaster & Speaker
          - Founder of the Atlanta Historical Computing Society

          Producer of the Vintage Computer Festival Southeast 1.0 - 4/20 & 4/21, 2013

          http://about.me/davidgreelish

        • joshbensadon
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 30, 2013
            Does anyone know anything about the "u SOKiT 68" ? (u=micro)
            from CompuKits? Circa 1982. York Museum has a manual for this educational kit computer, but I'm looking for pictures and origin.
            The manual shows schematics of the 6800 computer, using 2 boards. Schematics date back to 1976, board versions date 1980 to 1982.

            Thanks,
            Josh