Re: IMSAI 8080

  • corey986
    Message 1 of 61 , Jan 29, 2013
      I will add one more thing to all of this....

      Visually inspect the system and all the cards for anything loose.... Make sure there aren't any broken wires before you start anything. I can't tell you how many times I have just looked at a system and said, well that can't be right and sure enough a google search of some hires pictures says, hey correct that before you move on....

      Cheers,
      Corey

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Sudbrink" wrote:

      > DanielB wrote:
      > > Any recommendations on what I should check before attempting
      > > a power up? Any advice would be much appreciated.
      >
      > I would recommend:
      >
      > 1) Photograph the unit, inside and out.
      > 2) Confirm that it still has the original unregulated, linear
      > power supply. If not, stop here and post your findings.
      > 3) Remove all cards, including the front panel.
      > 4) Create, if you don't already have one, a "dim bulb variac".
      > 5) Create, if you don't already have, four "automobile bulb"
      > dummy loads.
      > 6) Attach the dummy loads to the power supply board at the
      > locations where the wires run from the PS to the backplane.
      > 7) When you removed the front panel board, you should have also
      > removed the wire connecting the power switch. Short the
      > connector with a jumper made from heavy gauge wire.
      > 8) Plug it in. If the "variac" bulb lights brightly or you
      > smell or see smoke, immediately unplug.
      > 9) Note the condition of your dummy load lights. If unlit,
      > you could have a blown fuse or maybe you did not correctly
      > connect them. Unplug and check.
      > 10) If the dummy bulbs are lit, check the DC voltage across each
      > bulb.
      > 11) If the DC voltages seem to be in spec, check for ripple with
      > an oscilloscope.
      >
      > That should get you started. Once you get to step 11, you have a
      > good power supply. Next, start testing the boards, one at a time,
      > in the backplane, looking for good regulated power on each board.
      >
      > Bill S.

    • DanielB
      Message 61 of 61 , May 14, 2013
        Yep, front panel is working good now. One odd thing I have run into is that from the Zapple monitor I can write to the SMB's onboard RAM, but I cannot write to the RAM on the memory board but I can write to the memory board from the front panel.

        Dan