Re: I am definitely going to have to start a SOL restoration blog...

  • joshbensadon
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 23, 2013
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, David Gesswein wrote:

      > On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 10:35:57PM -0000, corey986 wrote:
      > > >From a power supply perspective the power supply puts out about 4.7 volts
      > > on the 5v when not plugged into the motherboard, but 3.7 volts when plugged
      > > in, so something is drawing it down.
      > > so I can pull all the chips and perform the check out procedure
      > >
      > Not knowing anything about what type of supply this is...
      > Since its low unloaded you may want to test it with a load resistor of
      > the expected draw to see if the power supply is bad and its not a loading
      > problem.

      Is the voltage regulator getting very hot when plugged in (at 3.7V) ?
      If so, then you might be right. Otherwise, 4.7V no load is an unusual voltage for a standard 5V regulator. Does it use a standard regulator or is it like a LM723/2N3055 design? If it's a standard regulator, then the chip might have failed OR it could be the input filter cap (too much ripple on the input pin) or the output decoupling capacitor could be bad (check for oscillation on output).
    • corey986
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 23, 2013
        Wow I still can't get over how clean that system is from your pics. How did you clean the board and actually the whole system what well?

        Thanks,
        Corey

        http://www.vintagecomputer.net/processor_tech/sol-20/

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 23, 2013
          Thanks. I clean everything before I work on it. This SOL was in nice shape
          when I got it

          Wow I still can't get over how clean that system is from your pics. How did
          you clean the board and actually the whole system what well?

          Thanks,
          Corey

          http://www.vintagecomputer.net/processor_tech/sol-20/

        • Systems Glitch
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 24, 2013
            On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 22:35:57 -0000
            > Someone on the Altair forum is planning an mm5204 programmer so I may have to buy one if I can't get a 2708 personality module and I'm not paying $100 to that guy on ebay, it's overpriced and the card is missing a chunk (I guess someone's dog got hungry)

            Do you need a SOLOS mask ROM? I've got one that works. I don't own a SOL-20 so it's unlikely to ever do me good.

            Thanks,
            Jonathan
          • corey986
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 24, 2013
              Is it in a personality module PCB or is it just an eprom?
              Thanks,
              Corey

              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Systems Glitch wrote:

              > On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 22:35:57 -0000
              > > Someone on the Altair forum is planning an mm5204 programmer so I may have to buy one if I can't get a 2708 personality module and I'm not paying $100 to that guy on ebay, it's overpriced and the card is missing a chunk (I guess someone's dog got hungry)
              >
              > Do you need a SOLOS mask ROM? I've got one that works. I don't own a SOL-20 so it's unlikely to ever do me good.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Jonathan

            • Systems Glitch
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 24, 2013
                > Is it in a personality module PCB or is it just an eprom?

                Just the ROM. It's a mask ROM, not a PROM/EPROM.

                Thanks,
                Jonathan
              • Christian Liendo
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 25, 2013
                  Corey..
                  I have a blog and I haven't had time to update it.
                  if you want I can add you as a writer and you can add articles about the SOL restoration.

                • corey986
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 25, 2013
                    Thanks, but I have a website also. I never set the blog stuff up. Maybe this will force me to update it more often.

                    Thanks anyway,
                    Cheers,
                    Corey