I am definitely going to have to start a SOL restoration blog...

  • corey986
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 23, 2013
      So the unhacking continues....

      It looks the resistor at R14 is missing, it's a 1.5k
      and there is a 1.5k resistor attached to a via near u47 that appears to be hanging in mid air (there isn't a silk screen so I assume its a hack unless it was used to pull a signal down/up as per a fix that is broken)

      Also it appears someone tied the serial port RTS signal to a 5v trace.

      I haven't removed the board yet from the machine, so there might be more underneath. I just need to make more room for parts on my bench as I remove them (i.e. wood sides and stuff) so they don't get damaged. Since this is a long term project I can 't just use my soldering table as I will be starting my Scelbi soon...

      From a power supply perspective the power supply puts out about 4.7 volts on the 5v when not plugged into the motherboard, but 3.7 volts when plugged in, so something is drawing it down. I removed and reseated all the chips and I just ordered a large sheet of antistatic foam so I can pull all the chips and perform the check out procedure from the manual for the video, then processor. Hopefully I can find it that way.

      It would help if at some point I can play with someone else's Sol to see what I should see when there is no personality module or Ram and then what it looks like when I start to plug them in. Also it would be helpful to see if my personality module even works, it's a mm5204 kind so I can't easily reprogram it or test it. I guess I could throw Solos on my 8k bytesaver and use it for now at the same address the personality module should be at, but I don't know if that will mess me up.

      Someone on the Altair forum is planning an mm5204 programmer so I may have to buy one if I can't get a 2708 personality module and I'm not paying $100 to that guy on ebay, it's overpriced and the card is missing a chunk (I guess someone's dog got hungry)

      Cheers,
      Corey
    • corey986
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 23, 2013
        I should also mention my Sol-20 is a rev D motherboard.

        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, corey986 wrote:

        > So the unhacking continues....
        >
        > It looks the resistor at R14 is missing, it's a 1.5k
        > and there is a 1.5k resistor attached to a via near u47 that appears to be hanging in mid air (there isn't a silk screen so I assume its a hack unless it was used to pull a signal down/up as per a fix that is broken)
        >
        > Also it appears someone tied the serial port RTS signal to a 5v trace.
        >
        > I haven't removed the board yet from the machine, so there might be more underneath. I just need to make more room for parts on my bench as I remove them (i.e. wood sides and stuff) so they don't get damaged. Since this is a long term project I can 't just use my soldering table as I will be starting my Scelbi soon...
        >
        > From a power supply perspective the power supply puts out about 4.7 volts on the 5v when not plugged into the motherboard, but 3.7 volts when plugged in, so something is drawing it down. I removed and reseated all the chips and I just ordered a large sheet of antistatic foam so I can pull all the chips and perform the check out procedure from the manual for the video, then processor. Hopefully I can find it that way.
        >
        > It would help if at some point I can play with someone else's Sol to see what I should see when there is no personality module or Ram and then what it looks like when I start to plug them in. Also it would be helpful to see if my personality module even works, it's a mm5204 kind so I can't easily reprogram it or test it. I guess I could throw Solos on my 8k bytesaver and use it for now at the same address the personality module should be at, but I don't know if that will mess me up.
        >
        > Someone on the Altair forum is planning an mm5204 programmer so I may have to buy one if I can't get a 2708 personality module and I'm not paying $100 to that guy on ebay, it's overpriced and the card is missing a chunk (I guess someone's dog got hungry)
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Corey

      • David Gesswein
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 23, 2013
          On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 10:35:57PM -0000, corey986 wrote:
          > >From a power supply perspective the power supply puts out about 4.7 volts
          > on the 5v when not plugged into the motherboard, but 3.7 volts when plugged
          > in, so something is drawing it down.
          > so I can pull all the chips and perform the check out procedure

          Not knowing anything about what type of supply this is...
          Since its low unloaded you may want to test it with a load resistor of
          the expected draw to see if the power supply is bad and its not a loading
          problem.
        • corey986
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 23, 2013
            Good point. It's a linear type supply.

            I can hook one up tomorrow I have one I use for testing switching supplies.

            Thanks,
            Corey

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 23, 2013
              On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 10:35:57PM -0000, corey986 wrote:
              > >From a power supply perspective the power supply puts out about 4.7
              > >volts
              > on the 5v when not plugged into the motherboard, but 3.7 volts when
              > plugged in, so something is drawing it down.
              > so I can pull all the chips and perform the check out procedure

              Not knowing anything about what type of supply this is...
              Since its low unloaded you may want to test it with a load resistor of the
              expected draw to see if the power supply is bad and its not a loading
              problem.

              ---

              Both Herb's working and my partially-working SOLs have ~4.75 volts on the
              motherboard rather than 5V. We tested thoroughly, it seems to be "the way
              it was". Given Herb's system works, fyi.

              Also, most people chipped off the last two pins of the edge connector of the
              personality module. This is normal.
              http://www.vintagecomputer.net/processor_tech/sol-20/sol-20_SOLOS-connectors
              -cut.jpg

              Bill
            • joshbensadon
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 23, 2013
                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, David Gesswein wrote:

                > On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 10:35:57PM -0000, corey986 wrote:
                > > >From a power supply perspective the power supply puts out about 4.7 volts
                > > on the 5v when not plugged into the motherboard, but 3.7 volts when plugged
                > > in, so something is drawing it down.
                > > so I can pull all the chips and perform the check out procedure
                > >
                > Not knowing anything about what type of supply this is...
                > Since its low unloaded you may want to test it with a load resistor of
                > the expected draw to see if the power supply is bad and its not a loading
                > problem.

                Is the voltage regulator getting very hot when plugged in (at 3.7V) ?
                If so, then you might be right. Otherwise, 4.7V no load is an unusual voltage for a standard 5V regulator. Does it use a standard regulator or is it like a LM723/2N3055 design? If it's a standard regulator, then the chip might have failed OR it could be the input filter cap (too much ripple on the input pin) or the output decoupling capacitor could be bad (check for oscillation on output).
              • corey986
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 23, 2013
                  Wow I still can't get over how clean that system is from your pics. How did you clean the board and actually the whole system what well?

                  Thanks,
                  Corey

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 23, 2013
                    Thanks. I clean everything before I work on it. This SOL was in nice shape
                    when I got it

                    Wow I still can't get over how clean that system is from your pics. How did
                    you clean the board and actually the whole system what well?

                    Thanks,
                    Corey

                    http://www.vintagecomputer.net/processor_tech/sol-20/

                  • Systems Glitch
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 24, 2013
                      On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 22:35:57 -0000
                      > Someone on the Altair forum is planning an mm5204 programmer so I may have to buy one if I can't get a 2708 personality module and I'm not paying $100 to that guy on ebay, it's overpriced and the card is missing a chunk (I guess someone's dog got hungry)

                      Do you need a SOLOS mask ROM? I've got one that works. I don't own a SOL-20 so it's unlikely to ever do me good.

                      Thanks,
                      Jonathan
                    • corey986
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 24, 2013
                        Is it in a personality module PCB or is it just an eprom?
                        Thanks,
                        Corey

                        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Systems Glitch wrote:

                        > On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 22:35:57 -0000
                        > > Someone on the Altair forum is planning an mm5204 programmer so I may have to buy one if I can't get a 2708 personality module and I'm not paying $100 to that guy on ebay, it's overpriced and the card is missing a chunk (I guess someone's dog got hungry)
                        >
                        > Do you need a SOLOS mask ROM? I've got one that works. I don't own a SOL-20 so it's unlikely to ever do me good.
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        > Jonathan

                      • Systems Glitch
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 24, 2013
                          > Is it in a personality module PCB or is it just an eprom?

                          Just the ROM. It's a mask ROM, not a PROM/EPROM.

                          Thanks,
                          Jonathan
                        • Christian Liendo
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 25, 2013
                            Corey..
                            I have a blog and I haven't had time to update it.
                            if you want I can add you as a writer and you can add articles about the SOL restoration.

                          • corey986
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 25, 2013
                              Thanks, but I have a website also. I never set the blog stuff up. Maybe this will force me to update it more often.

                              Thanks anyway,
                              Cheers,
                              Corey