Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Bad news, good news: VCF East 9.0 cancelled due to Sandy

  • Systems Glitch
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 22, 2013
      Well, if we want to do a workshop sometime this spring/summer AND ensure there is power, I'll be buying an army surplus MEP-003A generator upstate and lugging it down to WV for my parents. It puts out 13 kW, runs on diesel, and it hot-switchable between 120 1ph, 240 1ph and 208 3ph. It'd be a good workout, to load it down with some non-resistive equipment. The MEP-003A is intended for comms huts, so the power is better regulated and cleaner than usual army light plant generators.

      If MARCH/InfoAge is seriously considering backup power, the MEP-003As (and the smaller MEP-002) are regularly available for under $4000 with a warranty.

      Thanks,
      Jonathan

      On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 11:07:22 -0500
      David Greelish <dgreelish@...> wrote:

      > Very sorry to hear this everyone, and needless to say, I'm shocked.
      >
      > We're working very hard to have a great first show, which will then hopefully bolster ours and yours for next year.
      >
      > Only just announced this on the Retro Computing Roundtable Sunday, but we have our keynote speaker - Robert Tinney, famous artist of the classic Byte magazine covers.
      >
      > If anyone would like to try and instead join us "down here" in the Atlanta area this year, we'd love to have ya.
      >
      > I certainly hope our two groups, MARCH & AHCS, plus our two shows, VCF East & VCFSE, can be partners in any way possible.
      >
      > Best,
      >
      > David Greelish
      > - Computer Historian, Writer, Podcaster & Speaker
      > - Founder of the Atlanta Historical Computing Society
      >
      > Producer of the Vintage Computer Festival Southeast 1.0 - 4/20 & 4/21, 2013
      >
      > http://about.me/davidgreelish

    • David Greelish
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 29, 2013
        Thank you for all of the support everyone, and 2014 will be a great year for VCFs!

        Gearing up now for the VCFSE - lots of stuff is about to happen, lots of fast!

        We now have a VCFSE Twitter account - https://twitter.com/VCFSE

        Best,

        David Greelish
        - Computer Historian, Writer, Podcaster & Speaker
        - Founder of the Atlanta Historical Computing Society

        Producer of the Vintage Computer Festival Southeast 1.0 - 4/20 & 4/21, 2013

        http://about.me/davidgreelish

      • s100doctor
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 29, 2013
          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Systems Glitch wrote:

          > Well, if we want to do a workshop sometime this spring/summer AND ensure there is power, I'll be buying an army surplus MEP-003A generator upstate and lugging it down to WV for my parents. It puts out 13 kW, runs on diesel,.....

          This is out of my experience, but a bit of Web-reading tells me these can use a lot of diesel, and diesel is probably $4 a gallon by now in NJ. Someone who knows, will know the math on this for a few or several KW load per hour. Natural gas may be a better deal, for KW per dollar, these days.

          But it seems to me, such things ought to be discussed privately with Evan, as "infoage business". Myself, I'd be curious to find out your operating costs.

          Herb Johnson
        • Bob Schwier
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 30, 2013

            --- In mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com, Systems Glitch wrote:

            > Well, if we want to do a workshop sometime this spring/summer AND ensure there is power, I'll be buying an army surplus MEP-003A generator upstate and lugging it down to WV for my parents. It puts out 13 kW, runs on diesel,.....

            This is out of my experience, but a bit of Web-reading tells me these can use a lot of diesel, and diesel is probably $4 a gallon by now in NJ. Someone who knows, will know the math on this for a few or several KW load per hour. Natural gas may be a better deal, for KW per dollar, these days.

            But it seems to me, such things ought to be discussed privately with Evan, as "infoage business". Myself, I'd be curious to find out your operating costs.

            Herb Johnson

            I'll throw my two cents in.  The virtue of diesel is that it is possible to render alternatives to same which may be useful down
            the road.
            bs
          • Bob Schwier
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 30, 2013