Re: [midatlanticretro] Bad news, good news: VCF East 9.0 cancelled due to Sandy; but ....

    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 21, 2013

        I'm planning on it and have been discussing it with Dave Greelish.  I'm just not yet sure of what to exhibit.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA

      On Jan 21, 2013, at 10:49 PM, Kyle Owen <kylevowen@...> wrote:

      Maybe this could be a good excuse for some travel down south to Atlanta for the VCF-SE 1.0! :)

    • David
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 22, 2013
        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dave McGuire wrote:

        > I'm planning on it and have been discussing it with Dave Greelish. I'm just not yet sure of what to exhibit.
        >
        > -Dave
        >
        > --
        > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        > New Kensington, PA

        I am still looking into the three phase electrical request too Dave.

        Best,

        David Greelish
        - Computer Historian, Writer, Podcaster & Speaker
        - Founder of the Atlanta Historical Computing Society

        Producer of the Vintage Computer Festival Southeast 1.0 - 4/20 & 4/21, 2013

        http://about.me/davidgreelish
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 22, 2013
          On 01/22/2013 11:20 AM, David wrote:
          >> I'm planning on it and have been discussing it with Dave Greelish.
          >> I'm just not yet sure of what to exhibit.
          >
          > I am still looking into the three phase electrical request too Dave.

          Thanks! But actually, don't worry about the three-phase...I've
          eliminated those systems from consideration. The worst I'd need is
          single-phase 240, standard hot-neutral-hot.

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
        • s100doctor
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 27, 2013
            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Kyle Owen wrote:

            > Maybe this could be a good excuse for some travel down south to Atlanta for
            > the VCF-SE 1.0! :)

            The following opinions are mine, I do not represent MARCH.

            I'm glad Kyle and others mentioned the Atlanta event. It occurs in April, before the VCF-E in May; and is hundreds of miles from central NJ, and from me. I'm not doing two events in 30 days, so the previously-clear choice for me as an exhibitor was VCF-E.

            Evan made a good decision to cancel VCF-E at the end of January, because that gives time for me and other VCF-E participants to 1) avoid planing travel and lodging to Wall NJ, completing exhibits, etc. and 2) time to consider the same A MONTH EARLIER to Atlanta.

            Given VCF support to MARCH for its events, I think Evan should extend a courtesy to VCF-SE and encourage/invite posts by the Atlanta group about their event. They may be shy about seeming to take advantage of InfoAge's unfortunate situation. I've not made a decision and I would appreciate more information;. Also, I'd consider car-pooling and related shared planning, with my local colleagues.

            As for planning an alternate event by MARCH/InfoAge on the VCF-E weekend, that's fine as well. Many local people would not likely make a choice, or even be aware of the other venue, or might attend both. A MARCH event which calls for little planning and only modest services, essentially makes promises that if "broken" (say Wall Township prohibits public events) would cause little grief, under these catastrophic circumstances.

            Herb Johnson
          • Jeff Galinat
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 13, 2013
              On 1/21/2013 12:24 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:

              Hi all --

              Very sorry, but we're cancelling East 9.0 because of the uncertain power
              situation at InfoAge.

              -

              Now for THE GOOD NEWS!

              - VCF East 9.0 will be back, and awesome, in 2014. I promise!!!!

              - This year, we will probably have an alternate event, at InfoAge, on
              the same weekend originally announced for VCF East (May 18-19). As we
              said, there "probably" will be power, and our "probable" event will be a
              MARCH swap meet on 5/18, with some kind of to-be-determined
              cross-pollination re: OMARC's hamfest down the street that same day.

              - We have not yet figured out details for the swap meet. When we do,
              we'll give it a unique name, and we'll announce it widely.

              - Evan (evan@... / 646-546-9999)

              Hi Evan,
                I do realize that you are currently planning for the TCF exhibit but I was wondering, do you feel that there will be a MARCH swap meet in May?  The reason I was asking is that I have some surplus vintage gear that I would normally sell through eBay but I would hold on to it until May if there is a swap meet event.  I would rather sell locally and avoid the hassle of eBay fees, PayPal fees, shipping, etc. and at the same time support a MARCH event.
              Regards,
              Jeff Galinat

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 13, 2013
                >> do you feel that there will be a MARCH swap meet in May?

                Yes, we'll start planning that after things settle down from Trenton.
              • Jeff Galinat
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 13, 2013
                  On 3/13/2013 5:07 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                  >> do you feel that there will be a MARCH swap meet in May?

                  Yes, we'll start planning that after things settle down from Trenton.

                  Hi Evan,
                    Thanks for the quick reply.  Great!  Looking forward to the swap meet.  I hope to stop by & visit MARCH at TCF if I can get away from my tables.  This will be my 35th year selling at TCF.  These days at TCF, I mainly sell microcontroller stuff like Arduinos, serial character LCDs, Raspberry Pi and stuff like that but rest assured the stuff I sell at the MARCH swap meet will be mid 70's to mid 80's vintage stuff.
                  Regards,
                  Jeff