Bad news, good news: VCF East 9.0 cancelled due to Sandy; but ....

    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 21, 2013
      Hi all --

      Very sorry, but we're cancelling East 9.0 because of the uncertain power
      situation at InfoAge.

      The MARCH board put a lot of thought into this decision. Our reasoning is:

      - InfoAge will * probably * have power restored within a month or two
      .... but we can't plan an event as complicated as VCF on a "probably".
      There is too much risk involved. To pull off a top-notch VCF East, we
      needed to start serious planning NOW.

      - We considered bringing in a large generator, or moving the event
      elsewhere, or postponing it by a couple of months. We decided that a
      large generator is too expensive (thousands of dollars); going elsewhere
      would also be pricey and we'd lose the museum attractions (along with
      controlling the power, security, etc.); while postponing the event
      messes with a whole other variety of logistics (school years, holidays,
      other InfoAge events, etc.)

      - Even if the power is brought back next week (it won't be, but I'm just
      making a point), we had to draw a decision-making deadline somewhere.

      - We know from experience that simply skipping one year won't hurt us
      too badly, marketing-wise. We skipped 2010, and VCF West skipped a year
      once, with no ill effects.

      - We had two or three cool speakers / panels being arranged for this
      year, but we didn't have any "killer" speakers lined up, unlike last year.

      Now for THE GOOD NEWS!

      - VCF East 9.0 will be back, and awesome, in 2014. I promise!!!!

      - This year, we will probably have an alternate event, at InfoAge, on
      the same weekend originally announced for VCF East (May 18-19). As we
      said, there "probably" will be power, and our "probable" event will be a
      MARCH swap meet on 5/18, with some kind of to-be-determined
      cross-pollination re: OMARC's hamfest down the street that same day.

      - We have not yet figured out details for the swap meet. When we do,
      we'll give it a unique name, and we'll announce it widely.

      SILVER LININGS:

      - Planning a full-fledged VCF East, for me, is like having a part-time
      job for six months. By taking a year off, I'll be much more relaxed in
      2013. :)

      - It gives everyone an extra year to work on their collections and
      develop kick-ass exhibits for 2014.

      - Without the pressure of VCF East this year, we as a club can focus
      more on organizing our warehouse, having tech weekends, etc.

      - We're doing well, money-wise, so we can afford to skip VCF East this
      year without worrying about next year's budget.

      Again, I'm very sorry for letting people down about the VCF East. I know
      how much everyone enjoys the event, hearing the speakers, putting
      together exhibits, and getting immense satisfaction in showing your work
      to the public. Unfortunately this year it was not to be.

      Anyone with questions/concerns is welcome to post in reply to this
      message and/or to contact me privately if you wish. I'm sad about the
      decision, but glad to explain it as much as necessary.

      - Evan (evan@... / 646-546-9999)
    • Kelly D. Leavitt
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 21, 2013
        > Very sorry, but we're cancelling East 9.0 because of the uncertain power
        > situation at InfoAge.
        Not that you need my validation, but this seems to be a very wise move. I am disappointed and will miss the event, but I will force myself to come to the swapmeet when it is scheduled. I have a lot of stuff I want to unload...

        Thanks for the heads up,
        Kelly
      • corey986
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 21, 2013
          I'm sad to hear the news, but maybe we can have a few "workshop" events when the power is back that we can try to get the "crowd" together.

          VCF isn't just about us showing off an exhibit to the public, but the networking and asking each other questions that come up out of conversations that make the VCF weekend special.

          ---Corey

          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Evan Koblentz wrote:

> [...]
          > 2013. :)
          >
          > - It gives everyone an extra year to work on their collections and
          > develop kick-ass exhibits for 2014.
          >
          > - Without the pressure of VCF East this year, we as a club can focus
          > more on organizing our warehouse, having tech weekends, etc.
          >
          > - We're doing well, money-wise, so we can afford to skip VCF East this
          > year without worrying about next year's budget.
          >
          > Again, I'm very sorry for letting people down about the VCF East. I know
          > how much everyone enjoys the event, hearing the speakers, putting
          > together exhibits, and getting immense satisfaction in showing your work
          > to the public. Unfortunately this year it was not to be.
          >
          > Anyone with questions/concerns is welcome to post in reply to this
          > message and/or to contact me privately if you wish. I'm sad about the
          > decision, but glad to explain it as much as necessary.

        • DougCrawford
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 21, 2013
> [...]
            > 2013. :)
            >
            > - It gives everyone an extra year to work on their collections and
            > develop kick-ass exhibits for 2014.
            >
            > - Without the pressure of VCF East this year, we as a club can focus
            > more on organizing our warehouse, having tech weekends, etc.
            >
            > - We're doing well, money-wise, so we can afford to skip VCF East this
            > year without worrying about next year's budget.
            >
            > Again, I'm very sorry for letting people down about the VCF East. I know
            > how much everyone enjoys the event, hearing the speakers, putting
            > together exhibits, and getting immense satisfaction in showing your work
            > to the public. Unfortunately this year it was not to be.
            >
            > Anyone with questions/concerns is welcome to post in reply to this
            > message and/or to contact me privately if you wish. I'm sad about the
            > decision, but glad to explain it as much as necessary.

            Sounds like a very wise move. Looking forward to the alternatives.
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 21, 2013

              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 21, 2013

                --

                Hopefully we'll have an event that weekend, but it will be less formal.
                Consider it an "open format" MARCH event.
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 21, 2013
                  A workshop in emergency power management might be in order.
                  bs

                  > I'm sad to hear the news, but maybe we can have a few "workshop" events
                  when the power is back that we can try to get the "crowd" together.

                  Yes .... as I wrote in the first email. :)

                  --

                  Hopefully we'll have an event that weekend, but it will be less formal.
                  Consider it an "open format" MARCH event.

                • Kyle Owen
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 21, 2013
                    Maybe this could be a good excuse for some travel down south to Atlanta for the VCF-SE 1.0! :)

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 21, 2013

                        I'm planning on it and have been discussing it with Dave Greelish.  I'm just not yet sure of what to exhibit.

                      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                      New Kensington, PA

                      On Jan 21, 2013, at 10:49 PM, Kyle Owen <kylevowen@...> wrote:

                      Maybe this could be a good excuse for some travel down south to Atlanta for the VCF-SE 1.0! :)

                    • David
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 22, 2013
                        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dave McGuire wrote:

                        > I'm planning on it and have been discussing it with Dave Greelish. I'm just not yet sure of what to exhibit.
                        >
                        > -Dave
                        >
                        > --
                        > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                        > New Kensington, PA

                        I am still looking into the three phase electrical request too Dave.

                        Best,

                        David Greelish
                        - Computer Historian, Writer, Podcaster & Speaker
                        - Founder of the Atlanta Historical Computing Society

                        Producer of the Vintage Computer Festival Southeast 1.0 - 4/20 & 4/21, 2013

                        http://about.me/davidgreelish
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 22, 2013
                          On 01/22/2013 11:20 AM, David wrote:
                          >> I'm planning on it and have been discussing it with Dave Greelish.
                          >> I'm just not yet sure of what to exhibit.
                          >
                          > I am still looking into the three phase electrical request too Dave.

                          Thanks! But actually, don't worry about the three-phase...I've
                          eliminated those systems from consideration. The worst I'd need is
                          single-phase 240, standard hot-neutral-hot.

                          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                          New Kensington, PA
                        • s100doctor
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 27, 2013
                            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Kyle Owen wrote:

                            > Maybe this could be a good excuse for some travel down south to Atlanta for
                            > the VCF-SE 1.0! :)

                            The following opinions are mine, I do not represent MARCH.

                            I'm glad Kyle and others mentioned the Atlanta event. It occurs in April, before the VCF-E in May; and is hundreds of miles from central NJ, and from me. I'm not doing two events in 30 days, so the previously-clear choice for me as an exhibitor was VCF-E.

                            Evan made a good decision to cancel VCF-E at the end of January, because that gives time for me and other VCF-E participants to 1) avoid planing travel and lodging to Wall NJ, completing exhibits, etc. and 2) time to consider the same A MONTH EARLIER to Atlanta.

                            Given VCF support to MARCH for its events, I think Evan should extend a courtesy to VCF-SE and encourage/invite posts by the Atlanta group about their event. They may be shy about seeming to take advantage of InfoAge's unfortunate situation. I've not made a decision and I would appreciate more information;. Also, I'd consider car-pooling and related shared planning, with my local colleagues.

                            As for planning an alternate event by MARCH/InfoAge on the VCF-E weekend, that's fine as well. Many local people would not likely make a choice, or even be aware of the other venue, or might attend both. A MARCH event which calls for little planning and only modest services, essentially makes promises that if "broken" (say Wall Township prohibits public events) would cause little grief, under these catastrophic circumstances.

                            Herb Johnson
                          • Jeff Galinat
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 13, 2013

                              -

                              Now for THE GOOD NEWS!

                              - VCF East 9.0 will be back, and awesome, in 2014. I promise!!!!

                              - This year, we will probably have an alternate event, at InfoAge, on
                              the same weekend originally announced for VCF East (May 18-19). As we
                              said, there "probably" will be power, and our "probable" event will be a
                              MARCH swap meet on 5/18, with some kind of to-be-determined
                              cross-pollination re: OMARC's hamfest down the street that same day.

                              - We have not yet figured out details for the swap meet. When we do,
                              we'll give it a unique name, and we'll announce it widely.

                              - Evan (evan@... / 646-546-9999)

                              Hi Evan,
                                I do realize that you are currently planning for the TCF exhibit but I was wondering, do you feel that there will be a MARCH swap meet in May?  The reason I was asking is that I have some surplus vintage gear that I would normally sell through eBay but I would hold on to it until May if there is a swap meet event.  I would rather sell locally and avoid the hassle of eBay fees, PayPal fees, shipping, etc. and at the same time support a MARCH event.
                              Regards,
                              Jeff Galinat

                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 13, 2013
                                >> do you feel that there will be a MARCH swap meet in May?

                                Yes, we'll start planning that after things settle down from Trenton.
                              • Jeff Galinat
                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 13, 2013
                                  On 3/13/2013 5:07 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                                  >> do you feel that there will be a MARCH swap meet in May?

                                  Yes, we'll start planning that after things settle down from Trenton.

                                  Hi Evan,
                                    Thanks for the quick reply.  Great!  Looking forward to the swap meet.  I hope to stop by & visit MARCH at TCF if I can get away from my tables.  This will be my 35th year selling at TCF.  These days at TCF, I mainly sell microcontroller stuff like Arduinos, serial character LCDs, Raspberry Pi and stuff like that but rest assured the stuff I sell at the MARCH swap meet will be mid 70's to mid 80's vintage stuff.
                                  Regards,
                                  Jeff