Re: NCR chips?

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 11, 2013
      My guess is that they are custom chips or at best, in house designs that were later productized. You might find them or something very similar in this 1977 NCR data book.

      http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/national/_dataBooks/1977_MOS_LSI_databook.pdf

      based on what I can find in the book, 6 is probably the package type indicator

      Regards,
      MIke Willegal

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" wrote:

      > > 1) I have a NCR panel with fluorescent displays
      > > http://ferretronix.com/tech/vfd/
      > > the NCR chips:
      > > NCR 6-51146
      > > NCR 6-51055
      > > NCR 6-51056
      > > NCR 6-51057
      > >
      > > 2) 34c227 is a 48 pin DIP. Some sort of microcontroller.
      > > Of course, Google only finds the parts-pimps,
      > > no real specs.

      > > start
      > > >
      > > > NCR is National Cash Register. The purple chips look very mid-1970s
      > > > Motorola. They probably made them for NCR.
      > > >

      > > Whoa I totally missed that one. I will check the Motorola books. Duh
      > me.
      > >
      > > Bill
      > >

      > Replying to myself. I could not find anything in the Motorola books, but I
      > am guessing now that these are equivalent part numbers, not original
      > Motorola part numbers. Sorry I can't help.
      > bd

    • Mike
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 11, 2013
        My guess is that they are custom chips or at best, in house designs that were later productized. You might find them or something very similar in this 1977 NCR data book.

        http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/national/_dataBooks/1977_MOS_LSI_databook.pdf

        based on what I can find in the book, 6 is probably the package type indicator

        Regards,
        MIke Willegal

        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" wrote:

        > > 1) I have a NCR panel with fluorescent displays
        > > http://ferretronix.com/tech/vfd/
        > > the NCR chips:
        > > NCR 6-51146
        > > NCR 6-51055
        > > NCR 6-51056
        > > NCR 6-51057
        > >
        > > 2) 34c227 is a 48 pin DIP. Some sort of microcontroller.
        > > Of course, Google only finds the parts-pimps,
        > > no real specs.

        > > start
        > > >
        > > > NCR is National Cash Register. The purple chips look very mid-1970s
        > > > Motorola. They probably made them for NCR.
        > > >

        > > Whoa I totally missed that one. I will check the Motorola books. Duh
        > me.
        > >
        > > Bill
        > >

        > Replying to myself. I could not find anything in the Motorola books, but I
        > am guessing now that these are equivalent part numbers, not original
        > Motorola part numbers. Sorry I can't help.
        > bd

      • Mike
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 11, 2013
          Take a look at this book and see if you can find something similar.
          http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/national/_dataBooks/1977_MOS_LSI_databook.pdf

          I'm guessing that they are either custom chips or (best case) in house designs that were later productized, in which case you should be able to find a close match in the manual.

          I'm thinking that the leading 6 is package type, as it matches the type 6 package in the manual.

          Regards,
          Mike Willegal

          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Jonas" wrote:

          > Does anyone have NCR chip databooks?
          >
          > 1) I have a NCR panel with fluorescent displays
          > http://ferretronix.com/tech/vfd/
          > the NCR chips:
          > NCR 6-51146
          > NCR 6-51055
          > NCR 6-51056
          > NCR 6-51057
          >
          > 2) 34c227 is a 48 pin DIP. Some sort of microcontroller.
          > Of course, Google only finds the parts-pimps,
          > no real specs.
          >
          > thanks!
          > -- jeffj

        • mwillega
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 11, 2013
            my reply to this thread keeps getting dropped, so if three copies suddenly show up, you will know why

            I'm guessing that these are custom/in-house NCR chips. Best case might be that NCR later productized them. Maybe you can find something like them in this NCR data book.

            http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/national/_dataBooks/1977_MOS_LSI_databook.pdf

            the 6- appears to be package type as it matches the 24 pin DIP package at the end of this book described as type "6".

            regards,
            Mike W.
          • Mike
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 21, 2013
              sorry about all these posts and yes, I realized after trying to post a bunch of times, that NCR is not the same as National Semiconductor - I wish the posts had gone into internet oblivion

              Regards,
              Mike W.

              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" wrote:

              > My guess is that they are custom chips or at best, in house designs that were later productized. You might find them or something very similar in this 1977 NCR data book.
              >
              > http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/national/_dataBooks/1977_MOS_LSI_databook.pdf
              >
              > based on what I can find in the book, 6 is probably the package type indicator
              >
              > Regards,
              > MIke Willegal
              >

              > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" wrote:
              > >
              > > > 1) I have a NCR panel with fluorescent displays
              > > > http://ferretronix.com/tech/vfd/
              > > > the NCR chips:
              > > > NCR 6-51146
              > > > NCR 6-51055
              > > > NCR 6-51056
              > > > NCR 6-51057
              > > >
              > > > 2) 34c227 is a 48 pin DIP. Some sort of microcontroller.
              > > > Of course, Google only finds the parts-pimps,
              > > > no real specs.

              > > > start

              > > > Whoa I totally missed that one. I will check the Motorola books. Duh
              > > me.
              > > >
              > > > Bill
              > > >

              > > Replying to myself. I could not find anything in the Motorola books, but I
              > > am guessing now that these are equivalent part numbers, not original
              > > Motorola part numbers. Sorry I can't help.
              > > bd

            • Jeff Jonas
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 3, 2013
                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" wrote:
                > ... I realized after trying to post a bunch of times, that NCR is not the same as National Semiconductor - I wish the posts had gone into internet oblivion

                No regrets! I have some lovely vintage Natinoal Semi chips that were in that catalogue with full spec sheets, not the abbreviated ones usually found on the Internet spam/// search sites for "datasheet".