Looking for any information on the Sol Graphic-Add option

  • corey986
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 21, 2013
      My Sol has a "graphic-add" daughter board which plugs into the character generator socket and allows graphics. It looks like its from processor tech, but I can't be sure.

      A google search doesn't provide much information and the board is made specifically for the Sol or VDM-1 card.

      This was all I could find was this stuff...
      http://weblog.ceicher.com/archives/2007/08/sol20_restoration_phase_1_comp.html
      http://weblog.ceicher.com/archives/2003/05/computer_graphics_circa_1975.html

      Anyone have a clue on this? I hope to find some documentation...

      Thanks,
      Corey
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 21, 2013
        I checked Byte mags from 1977-1980. No ads for this product in Processor
        Technologies' ad pages. May be a 3rd party deal, back then you could put
        another company's name on a product to imply what it was for, without
        getting sued. I feel like I have seen an adv. for this product once, but I
        saw nothing in my search. I would check for later SOL ads in other mags
        than Byte. This would not have been an early SOL product, and may be as new
        as 1981.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 21, 2013
          No documentation, but from the second link, which says it gives 64 x 128 resolution graphics, I surmise it switches the normal CG for a CG that divides the character into 8 blocks (4 x 2), allowing the character to represent all 256 combinations. A photo of the board, and a dump of the ROM would go a long way to figuring out exactly what it's doing and how to program it. If you can, post those here and let's have a look.

          Dave