Re: [midatlanticretro] Anyone have a copy of CPM for a Jade Double-D disk controller

    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
      On 01/19/2013 08:43 AM, Dave wrote:
      > From what I remember, all CPM's are "special". There is not a standard
      > BIOS so each CPM is tailored to suit the hardware or "ROM Monitor" I/O
      > routines. Having a secondary processor may make the customization easier
      > or harder, depending on the interface.

      This is correct. I wholeheartedly recommend Andy Johnson-Laird's "The
      Programmer's CP/M Handbook", which gives the best treatment of this that
      I've ever seen, including lots of neat ideas for high-performance
      BIOSes. He guides the reader through not only the installation of a
      BIOS and bringup of a CP/M system, but all the considerations involved
      in *writing* a BIOS from scratch. I did it as a teenager from that book
      alone, with no Google to help me...it's a fantastic book.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
        On 01/19/2013 09:27 AM, joshbensadon wrote:
        > Perfect, the DDBIOS.ASM file looks like the right stuff. Just
        > assemble it where the BIOS jump table is suppose to be (according the
        > the memory size of CP/M), then cut and paste it over the BIOS section
        > of CP/M.

        Be careful here. You will most likely need to use MOVCPM to change
        the jump addresses in the BDOS to adjust for a (likely) different TPA
        size. Moving CP/M to a different machine isn't quite THAT simple.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
      • joshbensadon
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dave McGuire wrote:

          > On 01/19/2013 09:27 AM, joshbensadon wrote:
          > > Perfect, the DDBIOS.ASM file looks like the right stuff. Just
          > > assemble it where the BIOS jump table is suppose to be (according the
          > > the memory size of CP/M), then cut and paste it over the BIOS section
          > > of CP/M.
          >
          > Be careful here. You will most likely need to use MOVCPM to change
          > the jump addresses in the BDOS to adjust for a (likely) different TPA
          > size. Moving CP/M to a different machine isn't quite THAT simple.
          >
          > -Dave
          >
          > --
          > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          > New Kensington, PA

        • joshbensadon
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
            Please ignore previous message, I got trigger happy with the <Enter> Key.

            Hi All,

            I've got an Intertek Super Brain computer on my bench at the moment and my worse nightmare has just begun. The 2716 Eprom Chip is blank! All FF's. I tested my Eprom programmer to verify reading another 2716 chip, it's not my programmer.

            Does anyone have one of these computers where they can send me a binary image of the Eprom? Please.

            Cheers,
            Josh <--- crossing my fingers
          • Jeffrey Brace
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 20, 2013
              >Hi All,
              >I've got an Intertek Super Brain computer on my bench at the moment and my
              >worse nightmare has just begun. The 2716 Eprom Chip is blank! All FF's. I
              >tested my Eprom programmer to verify reading another 2716 chip, it's >not
              >my programmer.

              >Does anyone have one of these computers where they can send me a binary
              >image of the Eprom? Please.

              >Cheers,
              >Josh <--- crossing my fingers

              Josh,

              You may want to try contacting Brian Cirulnick. He has two SuperBrains.

              Jeff B
            • joshbensadon
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 21, 2013
                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Brace" wrote:

                > >worse nightmare has just begun. The 2716 Eprom Chip is blank! All > >Does anyone have one of these computers where they can send me a binary
                > >image of the Eprom? Please.
                >
                > Josh,
                >
                > You may want to try contacting Brian Cirulnick. He has two SuperBrains.
                >
                > Jeff B

                Excellent! Thanks Jeff! Now, how can I get in touch with Brian?
                Please feel free to send him my email joshbensadon@...

                Thanks!
                Josh
              • joshbensadon
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 23, 2013
                  I need to get an image of the Boot ROM for the Super Brain.

                  Jeff recommended Brian Cirulnick, but I can't reach him.
                  I can only find 1 email address on his website (Techrat@...) but it is not working.

                  Anyone know how to reach Brian?

                  Thanks,
                  Josh