Re: Anyone have a copy of CPM for a Jade Double-D disk controller

  • joshbensadon
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Mike Loewen wrote:

      > On Sat, 19 Jan 2013, corey986 wrote:
      >
      > > I need to test a jade disk controller. From what I understand, I may be
      > > wrong, the Jade needs a special copy of CPM since it has a z80 processor
      > > onboard to handle the IO.
      >
      > I also have a DD controller which I will eventually have to test, but
      > no bootable disks for it. There is a collection of software here, which
      > may help in creating a boot disk:
      >
      > http://www.classiccmp.org/cpmarchives/cpm/Software/rlee/J/JADE/
      >

      > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

      Perfect, the DDBIOS.ASM file looks like the right stuff. Just assemble it where the BIOS jump table is suppose to be (according the the memory size of CP/M), then cut and paste it over the BIOS section of CP/M.
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
        On 01/19/2013 08:43 AM, Dave wrote:
        > From what I remember, all CPM's are "special". There is not a standard
        > BIOS so each CPM is tailored to suit the hardware or "ROM Monitor" I/O
        > routines. Having a secondary processor may make the customization easier
        > or harder, depending on the interface.

        This is correct. I wholeheartedly recommend Andy Johnson-Laird's "The
        Programmer's CP/M Handbook", which gives the best treatment of this that
        I've ever seen, including lots of neat ideas for high-performance
        BIOSes. He guides the reader through not only the installation of a
        BIOS and bringup of a CP/M system, but all the considerations involved
        in *writing* a BIOS from scratch. I did it as a teenager from that book
        alone, with no Google to help me...it's a fantastic book.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
          On 01/19/2013 09:27 AM, joshbensadon wrote:
          > Perfect, the DDBIOS.ASM file looks like the right stuff. Just
          > assemble it where the BIOS jump table is suppose to be (according the
          > the memory size of CP/M), then cut and paste it over the BIOS section
          > of CP/M.

          Be careful here. You will most likely need to use MOVCPM to change
          the jump addresses in the BDOS to adjust for a (likely) different TPA
          size. Moving CP/M to a different machine isn't quite THAT simple.

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
        • joshbensadon
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dave McGuire wrote:

            > On 01/19/2013 09:27 AM, joshbensadon wrote:
            > > Perfect, the DDBIOS.ASM file looks like the right stuff. Just
            > > assemble it where the BIOS jump table is suppose to be (according the
            > > the memory size of CP/M), then cut and paste it over the BIOS section
            > > of CP/M.
            >
            > Be careful here. You will most likely need to use MOVCPM to change
            > the jump addresses in the BDOS to adjust for a (likely) different TPA
            > size. Moving CP/M to a different machine isn't quite THAT simple.
            >
            > -Dave
            >
            > --
            > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            > New Kensington, PA

          • joshbensadon
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
              Please ignore previous message, I got trigger happy with the <Enter> Key.

              Hi All,

              I've got an Intertek Super Brain computer on my bench at the moment and my worse nightmare has just begun. The 2716 Eprom Chip is blank! All FF's. I tested my Eprom programmer to verify reading another 2716 chip, it's not my programmer.

              Does anyone have one of these computers where they can send me a binary image of the Eprom? Please.

              Cheers,
              Josh <--- crossing my fingers
            • Jeffrey Brace
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 20, 2013
                >Hi All,
                >I've got an Intertek Super Brain computer on my bench at the moment and my
                >worse nightmare has just begun. The 2716 Eprom Chip is blank! All FF's. I
                >tested my Eprom programmer to verify reading another 2716 chip, it's >not
                >my programmer.

                >Does anyone have one of these computers where they can send me a binary
                >image of the Eprom? Please.

                >Cheers,
                >Josh <--- crossing my fingers

                Josh,

                You may want to try contacting Brian Cirulnick. He has two SuperBrains.

                Jeff B
              • joshbensadon
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 21, 2013
                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Brace" wrote:

                  > >worse nightmare has just begun. The 2716 Eprom Chip is blank! All > >Does anyone have one of these computers where they can send me a binary
                  > >image of the Eprom? Please.
                  >
                  > Josh,
                  >
                  > You may want to try contacting Brian Cirulnick. He has two SuperBrains.
                  >
                  > Jeff B

                  Excellent! Thanks Jeff! Now, how can I get in touch with Brian?
                  Please feel free to send him my email joshbensadon@...

                  Thanks!
                  Josh
                • joshbensadon
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 23, 2013
                    I need to get an image of the Boot ROM for the Super Brain.

                    Jeff recommended Brian Cirulnick, but I can't reach him.
                    I can only find 1 email address on his website (Techrat@...) but it is not working.

                    Anyone know how to reach Brian?

                    Thanks,
                    Josh