Re: [midatlanticretro] Anyone have a copy of CPM for a Jade Double-D disk controller

    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
      We covered this in detail at the cp/m workshop run by rich cini and dan roganti at my old office building a few years back. Search my site for the class materials "cp/m class". You'll need to find a base cp/m 2.2. You can then edit to match the i/o and drive ports and so on. Compile the custom version. If you search my site for "move it" you might find some common i/o values but I am not confident you'll find Jade. Jade may be xyz-compatible, you gave to find which xyz it is.
      Sent from my PDP 8/e.
    • joshbensadon
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Mike Loewen wrote:

        > On Sat, 19 Jan 2013, corey986 wrote:
        >
        > > I need to test a jade disk controller. From what I understand, I may be
        > > wrong, the Jade needs a special copy of CPM since it has a z80 processor
        > > onboard to handle the IO.
        >
        > I also have a DD controller which I will eventually have to test, but
        > no bootable disks for it. There is a collection of software here, which
        > may help in creating a boot disk:
        >
        > http://www.classiccmp.org/cpmarchives/cpm/Software/rlee/J/JADE/
        >

        > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

        Perfect, the DDBIOS.ASM file looks like the right stuff. Just assemble it where the BIOS jump table is suppose to be (according the the memory size of CP/M), then cut and paste it over the BIOS section of CP/M.
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
          On 01/19/2013 08:43 AM, Dave wrote:
          > From what I remember, all CPM's are "special". There is not a standard
          > BIOS so each CPM is tailored to suit the hardware or "ROM Monitor" I/O
          > routines. Having a secondary processor may make the customization easier
          > or harder, depending on the interface.

          This is correct. I wholeheartedly recommend Andy Johnson-Laird's "The
          Programmer's CP/M Handbook", which gives the best treatment of this that
          I've ever seen, including lots of neat ideas for high-performance
          BIOSes. He guides the reader through not only the installation of a
          BIOS and bringup of a CP/M system, but all the considerations involved
          in *writing* a BIOS from scratch. I did it as a teenager from that book
          alone, with no Google to help me...it's a fantastic book.

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
            On 01/19/2013 09:27 AM, joshbensadon wrote:
            > Perfect, the DDBIOS.ASM file looks like the right stuff. Just
            > assemble it where the BIOS jump table is suppose to be (according the
            > the memory size of CP/M), then cut and paste it over the BIOS section
            > of CP/M.

            Be careful here. You will most likely need to use MOVCPM to change
            the jump addresses in the BDOS to adjust for a (likely) different TPA
            size. Moving CP/M to a different machine isn't quite THAT simple.

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            New Kensington, PA
          • joshbensadon
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dave McGuire wrote:

              > On 01/19/2013 09:27 AM, joshbensadon wrote:
              > > Perfect, the DDBIOS.ASM file looks like the right stuff. Just
              > > assemble it where the BIOS jump table is suppose to be (according the
              > > the memory size of CP/M), then cut and paste it over the BIOS section
              > > of CP/M.
              >
              > Be careful here. You will most likely need to use MOVCPM to change
              > the jump addresses in the BDOS to adjust for a (likely) different TPA
              > size. Moving CP/M to a different machine isn't quite THAT simple.
              >
              > -Dave
              >
              > --
              > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              > New Kensington, PA

            • joshbensadon
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
                Please ignore previous message, I got trigger happy with the <Enter> Key.

                Hi All,

                I've got an Intertek Super Brain computer on my bench at the moment and my worse nightmare has just begun. The 2716 Eprom Chip is blank! All FF's. I tested my Eprom programmer to verify reading another 2716 chip, it's not my programmer.

                Does anyone have one of these computers where they can send me a binary image of the Eprom? Please.

                Cheers,
                Josh <--- crossing my fingers
              • Jeffrey Brace
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 20, 2013
                  >Hi All,
                  >I've got an Intertek Super Brain computer on my bench at the moment and my
                  >worse nightmare has just begun. The 2716 Eprom Chip is blank! All FF's. I
                  >tested my Eprom programmer to verify reading another 2716 chip, it's >not
                  >my programmer.

                  >Does anyone have one of these computers where they can send me a binary
                  >image of the Eprom? Please.

                  >Cheers,
                  >Josh <--- crossing my fingers

                  Josh,

                  You may want to try contacting Brian Cirulnick. He has two SuperBrains.

                  Jeff B
                • joshbensadon
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 21, 2013
                    --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Brace" wrote:

                    > >worse nightmare has just begun. The 2716 Eprom Chip is blank! All > >Does anyone have one of these computers where they can send me a binary
                    > >image of the Eprom? Please.
                    >
                    > Josh,
                    >
                    > You may want to try contacting Brian Cirulnick. He has two SuperBrains.
                    >
                    > Jeff B

                    Excellent! Thanks Jeff! Now, how can I get in touch with Brian?
                    Please feel free to send him my email joshbensadon@...

                    Thanks!
                    Josh
                  • joshbensadon
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 23, 2013
                      I need to get an image of the Boot ROM for the Super Brain.

                      Jeff recommended Brian Cirulnick, but I can't reach him.
                      I can only find 1 email address on his website (Techrat@...) but it is not working.

                      Anyone know how to reach Brian?

                      Thanks,
                      Josh