Re: Anyone have a copy of CPM for a Jade Double-D disk controller

  • joshbensadon
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dave wrote:

> [...]

      I recently got CP/M running on the IMSAI.

      You can just cut and paste CP/M, that's what I did.

      2 things to consider.

      1. Where in RAM this copy of CP/M is to reside (How much RAM is available?)

      2. The BIOS. The BIOS jump table has to be where CP/M expects it to be (as per #1), the routines in BIOS just match your hardware.

      The routines just do the basic things:
      -send/receive characters to the console,
      -Select a drive, a track, a sector.
      -Translate a sector number with it's skewed (interleaved) sector
      -Designate a memory buffer to transfer data with the disk
      -Read/Write the selected sector with data

      Rich Cini has a very detailed write up on this and helped me a great deal. Check his website, look in the IMSAI section.

      J.
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
        We covered this in detail at the cp/m workshop run by rich cini and dan roganti at my old office building a few years back. Search my site for the class materials "cp/m class". You'll need to find a base cp/m 2.2. You can then edit to match the i/o and drive ports and so on. Compile the custom version. If you search my site for "move it" you might find some common i/o values but I am not confident you'll find Jade. Jade may be xyz-compatible, you gave to find which xyz it is.
        Sent from my PDP 8/e.
      • joshbensadon
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Mike Loewen wrote:

          > On Sat, 19 Jan 2013, corey986 wrote:
          >
          > > I need to test a jade disk controller. From what I understand, I may be
          > > wrong, the Jade needs a special copy of CPM since it has a z80 processor
          > > onboard to handle the IO.
          >
          > I also have a DD controller which I will eventually have to test, but
          > no bootable disks for it. There is a collection of software here, which
          > may help in creating a boot disk:
          >
          > http://www.classiccmp.org/cpmarchives/cpm/Software/rlee/J/JADE/
          >

          > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

          Perfect, the DDBIOS.ASM file looks like the right stuff. Just assemble it where the BIOS jump table is suppose to be (according the the memory size of CP/M), then cut and paste it over the BIOS section of CP/M.
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
            On 01/19/2013 08:43 AM, Dave wrote:
            > From what I remember, all CPM's are "special". There is not a standard
            > BIOS so each CPM is tailored to suit the hardware or "ROM Monitor" I/O
            > routines. Having a secondary processor may make the customization easier
            > or harder, depending on the interface.

            This is correct. I wholeheartedly recommend Andy Johnson-Laird's "The
            Programmer's CP/M Handbook", which gives the best treatment of this that
            I've ever seen, including lots of neat ideas for high-performance
            BIOSes. He guides the reader through not only the installation of a
            BIOS and bringup of a CP/M system, but all the considerations involved
            in *writing* a BIOS from scratch. I did it as a teenager from that book
            alone, with no Google to help me...it's a fantastic book.

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
              On 01/19/2013 09:27 AM, joshbensadon wrote:
              > Perfect, the DDBIOS.ASM file looks like the right stuff. Just
              > assemble it where the BIOS jump table is suppose to be (according the
              > the memory size of CP/M), then cut and paste it over the BIOS section
              > of CP/M.

              Be careful here. You will most likely need to use MOVCPM to change
              the jump addresses in the BDOS to adjust for a (likely) different TPA
              size. Moving CP/M to a different machine isn't quite THAT simple.

              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              New Kensington, PA
            • joshbensadon
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dave McGuire wrote:

                > On 01/19/2013 09:27 AM, joshbensadon wrote:
                > > Perfect, the DDBIOS.ASM file looks like the right stuff. Just
                > > assemble it where the BIOS jump table is suppose to be (according the
                > > the memory size of CP/M), then cut and paste it over the BIOS section
                > > of CP/M.
                >
                > Be careful here. You will most likely need to use MOVCPM to change
                > the jump addresses in the BDOS to adjust for a (likely) different TPA
                > size. Moving CP/M to a different machine isn't quite THAT simple.
                >
                > -Dave
                >
                > --
                > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                > New Kensington, PA

              • joshbensadon
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
                  Please ignore previous message, I got trigger happy with the <Enter> Key.

                  Hi All,

                  I've got an Intertek Super Brain computer on my bench at the moment and my worse nightmare has just begun. The 2716 Eprom Chip is blank! All FF's. I tested my Eprom programmer to verify reading another 2716 chip, it's not my programmer.

                  Does anyone have one of these computers where they can send me a binary image of the Eprom? Please.

                  Cheers,
                  Josh <--- crossing my fingers
                • Jeffrey Brace
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 20, 2013
                    >Hi All,
                    >I've got an Intertek Super Brain computer on my bench at the moment and my
                    >worse nightmare has just begun. The 2716 Eprom Chip is blank! All FF's. I
                    >tested my Eprom programmer to verify reading another 2716 chip, it's >not
                    >my programmer.

                    >Does anyone have one of these computers where they can send me a binary
                    >image of the Eprom? Please.

                    >Cheers,
                    >Josh <--- crossing my fingers

                    Josh,

                    You may want to try contacting Brian Cirulnick. He has two SuperBrains.

                    Jeff B
                  • joshbensadon
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 21, 2013
                      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Brace" wrote:

                      > >worse nightmare has just begun. The 2716 Eprom Chip is blank! All > >Does anyone have one of these computers where they can send me a binary
                      > >image of the Eprom? Please.
                      >
                      > Josh,
                      >
                      > You may want to try contacting Brian Cirulnick. He has two SuperBrains.
                      >
                      > Jeff B

                      Excellent! Thanks Jeff! Now, how can I get in touch with Brian?
                      Please feel free to send him my email joshbensadon@...

                      Thanks!
                      Josh
                    • joshbensadon
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 23, 2013
                        I need to get an image of the Boot ROM for the Super Brain.

                        Jeff recommended Brian Cirulnick, but I can't reach him.
                        I can only find 1 email address on his website (Techrat@...) but it is not working.

                        Anyone know how to reach Brian?

                        Thanks,
                        Josh