Re: [midatlanticretro] Anyone have a copy of CPM for a Jade Double-D disk controller

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
      On Sat, 19 Jan 2013, corey986 wrote:

      > I need to test a jade disk controller. From what I understand, I may be
      > wrong, the Jade needs a special copy of CPM since it has a z80 processor
      > onboard to handle the IO.

      I also have a DD controller which I will eventually have to test, but
      no bootable disks for it. There is a collection of software here, which
      may help in creating a boot disk:

      http://www.classiccmp.org/cpmarchives/cpm/Software/rlee/J/JADE/

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
    • joshbensadon
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dave wrote:

> [...]

        I recently got CP/M running on the IMSAI.

        You can just cut and paste CP/M, that's what I did.

        2 things to consider.

        1. Where in RAM this copy of CP/M is to reside (How much RAM is available?)

        2. The BIOS. The BIOS jump table has to be where CP/M expects it to be (as per #1), the routines in BIOS just match your hardware.

        The routines just do the basic things:
        -send/receive characters to the console,
        -Select a drive, a track, a sector.
        -Translate a sector number with it's skewed (interleaved) sector
        -Designate a memory buffer to transfer data with the disk
        -Read/Write the selected sector with data

        Rich Cini has a very detailed write up on this and helped me a great deal. Check his website, look in the IMSAI section.

        J.
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
          We covered this in detail at the cp/m workshop run by rich cini and dan roganti at my old office building a few years back. Search my site for the class materials "cp/m class". You'll need to find a base cp/m 2.2. You can then edit to match the i/o and drive ports and so on. Compile the custom version. If you search my site for "move it" you might find some common i/o values but I am not confident you'll find Jade. Jade may be xyz-compatible, you gave to find which xyz it is.
          Sent from my PDP 8/e.
        • joshbensadon
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Mike Loewen wrote:

            > On Sat, 19 Jan 2013, corey986 wrote:
            >
            > > I need to test a jade disk controller. From what I understand, I may be
            > > wrong, the Jade needs a special copy of CPM since it has a z80 processor
            > > onboard to handle the IO.
            >
            > I also have a DD controller which I will eventually have to test, but
            > no bootable disks for it. There is a collection of software here, which
            > may help in creating a boot disk:
            >
            > http://www.classiccmp.org/cpmarchives/cpm/Software/rlee/J/JADE/
            >

            > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

            Perfect, the DDBIOS.ASM file looks like the right stuff. Just assemble it where the BIOS jump table is suppose to be (according the the memory size of CP/M), then cut and paste it over the BIOS section of CP/M.
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
              On 01/19/2013 08:43 AM, Dave wrote:
              > From what I remember, all CPM's are "special". There is not a standard
              > BIOS so each CPM is tailored to suit the hardware or "ROM Monitor" I/O
              > routines. Having a secondary processor may make the customization easier
              > or harder, depending on the interface.

              This is correct. I wholeheartedly recommend Andy Johnson-Laird's "The
              Programmer's CP/M Handbook", which gives the best treatment of this that
              I've ever seen, including lots of neat ideas for high-performance
              BIOSes. He guides the reader through not only the installation of a
              BIOS and bringup of a CP/M system, but all the considerations involved
              in *writing* a BIOS from scratch. I did it as a teenager from that book
              alone, with no Google to help me...it's a fantastic book.

              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
                On 01/19/2013 09:27 AM, joshbensadon wrote:
                > Perfect, the DDBIOS.ASM file looks like the right stuff. Just
                > assemble it where the BIOS jump table is suppose to be (according the
                > the memory size of CP/M), then cut and paste it over the BIOS section
                > of CP/M.

                Be careful here. You will most likely need to use MOVCPM to change
                the jump addresses in the BDOS to adjust for a (likely) different TPA
                size. Moving CP/M to a different machine isn't quite THAT simple.

                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                New Kensington, PA
              • joshbensadon
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dave McGuire wrote:

                  > On 01/19/2013 09:27 AM, joshbensadon wrote:
                  > > Perfect, the DDBIOS.ASM file looks like the right stuff. Just
                  > > assemble it where the BIOS jump table is suppose to be (according the
                  > > the memory size of CP/M), then cut and paste it over the BIOS section
                  > > of CP/M.
                  >
                  > Be careful here. You will most likely need to use MOVCPM to change
                  > the jump addresses in the BDOS to adjust for a (likely) different TPA
                  > size. Moving CP/M to a different machine isn't quite THAT simple.
                  >
                  > -Dave
                  >
                  > --
                  > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                  > New Kensington, PA

                • joshbensadon
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
                    Please ignore previous message, I got trigger happy with the <Enter> Key.

                    Hi All,

                    I've got an Intertek Super Brain computer on my bench at the moment and my worse nightmare has just begun. The 2716 Eprom Chip is blank! All FF's. I tested my Eprom programmer to verify reading another 2716 chip, it's not my programmer.

                    Does anyone have one of these computers where they can send me a binary image of the Eprom? Please.

                    Cheers,
                    Josh <--- crossing my fingers
                  • Jeffrey Brace
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 20, 2013
                      >Hi All,
                      >I've got an Intertek Super Brain computer on my bench at the moment and my
                      >worse nightmare has just begun. The 2716 Eprom Chip is blank! All FF's. I
                      >tested my Eprom programmer to verify reading another 2716 chip, it's >not
                      >my programmer.

                      >Does anyone have one of these computers where they can send me a binary
                      >image of the Eprom? Please.

                      >Cheers,
                      >Josh <--- crossing my fingers

                      Josh,

                      You may want to try contacting Brian Cirulnick. He has two SuperBrains.

                      Jeff B
                    • joshbensadon
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 21, 2013
                        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Brace" wrote:

                        > >worse nightmare has just begun. The 2716 Eprom Chip is blank! All > >Does anyone have one of these computers where they can send me a binary
                        > >image of the Eprom? Please.
                        >
                        > Josh,
                        >
                        > You may want to try contacting Brian Cirulnick. He has two SuperBrains.
                        >
                        > Jeff B

                        Excellent! Thanks Jeff! Now, how can I get in touch with Brian?
                        Please feel free to send him my email joshbensadon@...

                        Thanks!
                        Josh
                      • joshbensadon
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 23, 2013
                          I need to get an image of the Boot ROM for the Super Brain.

                          Jeff recommended Brian Cirulnick, but I can't reach him.
                          I can only find 1 email address on his website (Techrat@...) but it is not working.

                          Anyone know how to reach Brian?

                          Thanks,
                          Josh