Re: [midatlanticretro] Anyone have a copy of CPM for a Jade Double-D disk controller

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
      On 19/01/2013 13:37, evan@... wrote:
      >>> Jade needs a special copy of CPM since it has a z80 processor onboard to handle the IO.
      From what I remember, all CPM's are "special". There is not a standard
      BIOS so each CPM is tailored to suit the hardware or "ROM Monitor" I/O
      routines. Having a secondary processor may make the customization easier
      or harder, depending on the interface.
      > Could you adapt CPM from the TDL Xitan? That was a Z80 machine.

    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
        On Sat, 19 Jan 2013, corey986 wrote:

        > I need to test a jade disk controller. From what I understand, I may be
        > wrong, the Jade needs a special copy of CPM since it has a z80 processor
        > onboard to handle the IO.

        I also have a DD controller which I will eventually have to test, but
        no bootable disks for it. There is a collection of software here, which
        may help in creating a boot disk:

        http://www.classiccmp.org/cpmarchives/cpm/Software/rlee/J/JADE/

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      • joshbensadon
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dave wrote:

> [...]

          I recently got CP/M running on the IMSAI.

          You can just cut and paste CP/M, that's what I did.

          2 things to consider.

          1. Where in RAM this copy of CP/M is to reside (How much RAM is available?)

          2. The BIOS. The BIOS jump table has to be where CP/M expects it to be (as per #1), the routines in BIOS just match your hardware.

          The routines just do the basic things:
          -send/receive characters to the console,
          -Select a drive, a track, a sector.
          -Translate a sector number with it's skewed (interleaved) sector
          -Designate a memory buffer to transfer data with the disk
          -Read/Write the selected sector with data

          Rich Cini has a very detailed write up on this and helped me a great deal. Check his website, look in the IMSAI section.

          J.
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
            We covered this in detail at the cp/m workshop run by rich cini and dan roganti at my old office building a few years back. Search my site for the class materials "cp/m class". You'll need to find a base cp/m 2.2. You can then edit to match the i/o and drive ports and so on. Compile the custom version. If you search my site for "move it" you might find some common i/o values but I am not confident you'll find Jade. Jade may be xyz-compatible, you gave to find which xyz it is.
            Sent from my PDP 8/e.
          • joshbensadon
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Mike Loewen wrote:

              > On Sat, 19 Jan 2013, corey986 wrote:
              >
              > > I need to test a jade disk controller. From what I understand, I may be
              > > wrong, the Jade needs a special copy of CPM since it has a z80 processor
              > > onboard to handle the IO.
              >
              > I also have a DD controller which I will eventually have to test, but
              > no bootable disks for it. There is a collection of software here, which
              > may help in creating a boot disk:
              >
              > http://www.classiccmp.org/cpmarchives/cpm/Software/rlee/J/JADE/
              >

              > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

              Perfect, the DDBIOS.ASM file looks like the right stuff. Just assemble it where the BIOS jump table is suppose to be (according the the memory size of CP/M), then cut and paste it over the BIOS section of CP/M.
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
                On 01/19/2013 08:43 AM, Dave wrote:
                > From what I remember, all CPM's are "special". There is not a standard
                > BIOS so each CPM is tailored to suit the hardware or "ROM Monitor" I/O
                > routines. Having a secondary processor may make the customization easier
                > or harder, depending on the interface.

                This is correct. I wholeheartedly recommend Andy Johnson-Laird's "The
                Programmer's CP/M Handbook", which gives the best treatment of this that
                I've ever seen, including lots of neat ideas for high-performance
                BIOSes. He guides the reader through not only the installation of a
                BIOS and bringup of a CP/M system, but all the considerations involved
                in *writing* a BIOS from scratch. I did it as a teenager from that book
                alone, with no Google to help me...it's a fantastic book.

                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
                  On 01/19/2013 09:27 AM, joshbensadon wrote:
                  > Perfect, the DDBIOS.ASM file looks like the right stuff. Just
                  > assemble it where the BIOS jump table is suppose to be (according the
                  > the memory size of CP/M), then cut and paste it over the BIOS section
                  > of CP/M.

                  Be careful here. You will most likely need to use MOVCPM to change
                  the jump addresses in the BDOS to adjust for a (likely) different TPA
                  size. Moving CP/M to a different machine isn't quite THAT simple.

                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                  New Kensington, PA
                • joshbensadon
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
                    --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dave McGuire wrote:

                    > On 01/19/2013 09:27 AM, joshbensadon wrote:
                    > > Perfect, the DDBIOS.ASM file looks like the right stuff. Just
                    > > assemble it where the BIOS jump table is suppose to be (according the
                    > > the memory size of CP/M), then cut and paste it over the BIOS section
                    > > of CP/M.
                    >
                    > Be careful here. You will most likely need to use MOVCPM to change
                    > the jump addresses in the BDOS to adjust for a (likely) different TPA
                    > size. Moving CP/M to a different machine isn't quite THAT simple.
                    >
                    > -Dave
                    >
                    > --
                    > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                    > New Kensington, PA

                  • joshbensadon
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
                      Please ignore previous message, I got trigger happy with the <Enter> Key.

                      Hi All,

                      I've got an Intertek Super Brain computer on my bench at the moment and my worse nightmare has just begun. The 2716 Eprom Chip is blank! All FF's. I tested my Eprom programmer to verify reading another 2716 chip, it's not my programmer.

                      Does anyone have one of these computers where they can send me a binary image of the Eprom? Please.

                      Cheers,
                      Josh <--- crossing my fingers
                    • Jeffrey Brace
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 20, 2013
                        >Hi All,
                        >I've got an Intertek Super Brain computer on my bench at the moment and my
                        >worse nightmare has just begun. The 2716 Eprom Chip is blank! All FF's. I
                        >tested my Eprom programmer to verify reading another 2716 chip, it's >not
                        >my programmer.

                        >Does anyone have one of these computers where they can send me a binary
                        >image of the Eprom? Please.

                        >Cheers,
                        >Josh <--- crossing my fingers

                        Josh,

                        You may want to try contacting Brian Cirulnick. He has two SuperBrains.

                        Jeff B
                      • joshbensadon
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 21, 2013
                          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Brace" wrote:

                          > >worse nightmare has just begun. The 2716 Eprom Chip is blank! All > >Does anyone have one of these computers where they can send me a binary
                          > >image of the Eprom? Please.
                          >
                          > Josh,
                          >
                          > You may want to try contacting Brian Cirulnick. He has two SuperBrains.
                          >
                          > Jeff B

                          Excellent! Thanks Jeff! Now, how can I get in touch with Brian?
                          Please feel free to send him my email joshbensadon@...

                          Thanks!
                          Josh
                        • joshbensadon
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 23, 2013
                            I need to get an image of the Boot ROM for the Super Brain.

                            Jeff recommended Brian Cirulnick, but I can't reach him.
                            I can only find 1 email address on his website (Techrat@...) but it is not working.

                            Anyone know how to reach Brian?

                            Thanks,
                            Josh