Re: [midatlanticretro] Anyone have a copy of CPM for a Jade Double-D disk controller

  • ekoblentz
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
      >> Jade needs a special copy of CPM since it has a z80 processor onboard to handle the IO.

      Could you adapt CPM from the TDL Xitan? That was a Z80 machine.
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
        On 19/01/2013 13:37, evan@... wrote:
        >>> Jade needs a special copy of CPM since it has a z80 processor onboard to handle the IO.
        From what I remember, all CPM's are "special". There is not a standard
        BIOS so each CPM is tailored to suit the hardware or "ROM Monitor" I/O
        routines. Having a secondary processor may make the customization easier
        or harder, depending on the interface.
        > Could you adapt CPM from the TDL Xitan? That was a Z80 machine.

      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
          On Sat, 19 Jan 2013, corey986 wrote:

          > I need to test a jade disk controller. From what I understand, I may be
          > wrong, the Jade needs a special copy of CPM since it has a z80 processor
          > onboard to handle the IO.

          I also have a DD controller which I will eventually have to test, but
          no bootable disks for it. There is a collection of software here, which
          may help in creating a boot disk:

          http://www.classiccmp.org/cpmarchives/cpm/Software/rlee/J/JADE/

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        • joshbensadon
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dave wrote:

> [...]

            I recently got CP/M running on the IMSAI.

            You can just cut and paste CP/M, that's what I did.

            2 things to consider.

            1. Where in RAM this copy of CP/M is to reside (How much RAM is available?)

            2. The BIOS. The BIOS jump table has to be where CP/M expects it to be (as per #1), the routines in BIOS just match your hardware.

            The routines just do the basic things:
            -send/receive characters to the console,
            -Select a drive, a track, a sector.
            -Translate a sector number with it's skewed (interleaved) sector
            -Designate a memory buffer to transfer data with the disk
            -Read/Write the selected sector with data

            Rich Cini has a very detailed write up on this and helped me a great deal. Check his website, look in the IMSAI section.

            J.
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
              We covered this in detail at the cp/m workshop run by rich cini and dan roganti at my old office building a few years back. Search my site for the class materials "cp/m class". You'll need to find a base cp/m 2.2. You can then edit to match the i/o and drive ports and so on. Compile the custom version. If you search my site for "move it" you might find some common i/o values but I am not confident you'll find Jade. Jade may be xyz-compatible, you gave to find which xyz it is.
              Sent from my PDP 8/e.
            • joshbensadon
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Mike Loewen wrote:

                > On Sat, 19 Jan 2013, corey986 wrote:
                >
                > > I need to test a jade disk controller. From what I understand, I may be
                > > wrong, the Jade needs a special copy of CPM since it has a z80 processor
                > > onboard to handle the IO.
                >
                > I also have a DD controller which I will eventually have to test, but
                > no bootable disks for it. There is a collection of software here, which
                > may help in creating a boot disk:
                >
                > http://www.classiccmp.org/cpmarchives/cpm/Software/rlee/J/JADE/
                >

                > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

                Perfect, the DDBIOS.ASM file looks like the right stuff. Just assemble it where the BIOS jump table is suppose to be (according the the memory size of CP/M), then cut and paste it over the BIOS section of CP/M.
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
                  On 01/19/2013 08:43 AM, Dave wrote:
                  > From what I remember, all CPM's are "special". There is not a standard
                  > BIOS so each CPM is tailored to suit the hardware or "ROM Monitor" I/O
                  > routines. Having a secondary processor may make the customization easier
                  > or harder, depending on the interface.

                  This is correct. I wholeheartedly recommend Andy Johnson-Laird's "The
                  Programmer's CP/M Handbook", which gives the best treatment of this that
                  I've ever seen, including lots of neat ideas for high-performance
                  BIOSes. He guides the reader through not only the installation of a
                  BIOS and bringup of a CP/M system, but all the considerations involved
                  in *writing* a BIOS from scratch. I did it as a teenager from that book
                  alone, with no Google to help me...it's a fantastic book.

                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
                    On 01/19/2013 09:27 AM, joshbensadon wrote:
                    > Perfect, the DDBIOS.ASM file looks like the right stuff. Just
                    > assemble it where the BIOS jump table is suppose to be (according the
                    > the memory size of CP/M), then cut and paste it over the BIOS section
                    > of CP/M.

                    Be careful here. You will most likely need to use MOVCPM to change
                    the jump addresses in the BDOS to adjust for a (likely) different TPA
                    size. Moving CP/M to a different machine isn't quite THAT simple.

                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                    New Kensington, PA
                  • joshbensadon
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
                      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dave McGuire wrote:

                      > On 01/19/2013 09:27 AM, joshbensadon wrote:
                      > > Perfect, the DDBIOS.ASM file looks like the right stuff. Just
                      > > assemble it where the BIOS jump table is suppose to be (according the
                      > > the memory size of CP/M), then cut and paste it over the BIOS section
                      > > of CP/M.
                      >
                      > Be careful here. You will most likely need to use MOVCPM to change
                      > the jump addresses in the BDOS to adjust for a (likely) different TPA
                      > size. Moving CP/M to a different machine isn't quite THAT simple.
                      >
                      > -Dave
                      >
                      > --
                      > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                      > New Kensington, PA

                    • joshbensadon
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
                        Please ignore previous message, I got trigger happy with the <Enter> Key.

                        Hi All,

                        I've got an Intertek Super Brain computer on my bench at the moment and my worse nightmare has just begun. The 2716 Eprom Chip is blank! All FF's. I tested my Eprom programmer to verify reading another 2716 chip, it's not my programmer.

                        Does anyone have one of these computers where they can send me a binary image of the Eprom? Please.

                        Cheers,
                        Josh <--- crossing my fingers
                      • Jeffrey Brace
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 20, 2013
                          >Hi All,
                          >I've got an Intertek Super Brain computer on my bench at the moment and my
                          >worse nightmare has just begun. The 2716 Eprom Chip is blank! All FF's. I
                          >tested my Eprom programmer to verify reading another 2716 chip, it's >not
                          >my programmer.

                          >Does anyone have one of these computers where they can send me a binary
                          >image of the Eprom? Please.

                          >Cheers,
                          >Josh <--- crossing my fingers

                          Josh,

                          You may want to try contacting Brian Cirulnick. He has two SuperBrains.

                          Jeff B
                        • joshbensadon
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 21, 2013
                            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Brace" wrote:

                            > >worse nightmare has just begun. The 2716 Eprom Chip is blank! All > >Does anyone have one of these computers where they can send me a binary
                            > >image of the Eprom? Please.
                            >
                            > Josh,
                            >
                            > You may want to try contacting Brian Cirulnick. He has two SuperBrains.
                            >
                            > Jeff B

                            Excellent! Thanks Jeff! Now, how can I get in touch with Brian?
                            Please feel free to send him my email joshbensadon@...

                            Thanks!
                            Josh
                          • joshbensadon
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 23, 2013
                              I need to get an image of the Boot ROM for the Super Brain.

                              Jeff recommended Brian Cirulnick, but I can't reach him.
                              I can only find 1 email address on his website (Techrat@...) but it is not working.

                              Anyone know how to reach Brian?

                              Thanks,
                              Josh