Anyone have a copy of CPM for a Jade Double-D disk controller

  • corey986
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
      I need to test a jade disk controller. From what I understand, I may be wrong, the Jade needs a special copy of CPM since it has a z80 processor onboard to handle the IO.

      Thanks,
      Corey
    • ekoblentz
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
        >> Jade needs a special copy of CPM since it has a z80 processor onboard to handle the IO.

        Could you adapt CPM from the TDL Xitan? That was a Z80 machine.
      • Dave
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
          On 19/01/2013 13:37, evan@... wrote:
          >>> Jade needs a special copy of CPM since it has a z80 processor onboard to handle the IO.
          From what I remember, all CPM's are "special". There is not a standard
          BIOS so each CPM is tailored to suit the hardware or "ROM Monitor" I/O
          routines. Having a secondary processor may make the customization easier
          or harder, depending on the interface.
          > Could you adapt CPM from the TDL Xitan? That was a Z80 machine.

        • Mike Loewen
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
            On Sat, 19 Jan 2013, corey986 wrote:

            > I need to test a jade disk controller. From what I understand, I may be
            > wrong, the Jade needs a special copy of CPM since it has a z80 processor
            > onboard to handle the IO.

            I also have a DD controller which I will eventually have to test, but
            no bootable disks for it. There is a collection of software here, which
            may help in creating a boot disk:

            http://www.classiccmp.org/cpmarchives/cpm/Software/rlee/J/JADE/

            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          • joshbensadon
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dave wrote:

> [...]

              I recently got CP/M running on the IMSAI.

              You can just cut and paste CP/M, that's what I did.

              2 things to consider.

              1. Where in RAM this copy of CP/M is to reside (How much RAM is available?)

              2. The BIOS. The BIOS jump table has to be where CP/M expects it to be (as per #1), the routines in BIOS just match your hardware.

              The routines just do the basic things:
              -send/receive characters to the console,
              -Select a drive, a track, a sector.
              -Translate a sector number with it's skewed (interleaved) sector
              -Designate a memory buffer to transfer data with the disk
              -Read/Write the selected sector with data

              Rich Cini has a very detailed write up on this and helped me a great deal. Check his website, look in the IMSAI section.

              J.
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
                We covered this in detail at the cp/m workshop run by rich cini and dan roganti at my old office building a few years back. Search my site for the class materials "cp/m class". You'll need to find a base cp/m 2.2. You can then edit to match the i/o and drive ports and so on. Compile the custom version. If you search my site for "move it" you might find some common i/o values but I am not confident you'll find Jade. Jade may be xyz-compatible, you gave to find which xyz it is.
                Sent from my PDP 8/e.
              • joshbensadon
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Mike Loewen wrote:

                  > On Sat, 19 Jan 2013, corey986 wrote:
                  >
                  > > I need to test a jade disk controller. From what I understand, I may be
                  > > wrong, the Jade needs a special copy of CPM since it has a z80 processor
                  > > onboard to handle the IO.
                  >
                  > I also have a DD controller which I will eventually have to test, but
                  > no bootable disks for it. There is a collection of software here, which
                  > may help in creating a boot disk:
                  >
                  > http://www.classiccmp.org/cpmarchives/cpm/Software/rlee/J/JADE/
                  >

                  > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

                  Perfect, the DDBIOS.ASM file looks like the right stuff. Just assemble it where the BIOS jump table is suppose to be (according the the memory size of CP/M), then cut and paste it over the BIOS section of CP/M.
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
                    On 01/19/2013 08:43 AM, Dave wrote:
                    > From what I remember, all CPM's are "special". There is not a standard
                    > BIOS so each CPM is tailored to suit the hardware or "ROM Monitor" I/O
                    > routines. Having a secondary processor may make the customization easier
                    > or harder, depending on the interface.

                    This is correct. I wholeheartedly recommend Andy Johnson-Laird's "The
                    Programmer's CP/M Handbook", which gives the best treatment of this that
                    I've ever seen, including lots of neat ideas for high-performance
                    BIOSes. He guides the reader through not only the installation of a
                    BIOS and bringup of a CP/M system, but all the considerations involved
                    in *writing* a BIOS from scratch. I did it as a teenager from that book
                    alone, with no Google to help me...it's a fantastic book.

                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
                      On 01/19/2013 09:27 AM, joshbensadon wrote:
                      > Perfect, the DDBIOS.ASM file looks like the right stuff. Just
                      > assemble it where the BIOS jump table is suppose to be (according the
                      > the memory size of CP/M), then cut and paste it over the BIOS section
                      > of CP/M.

                      Be careful here. You will most likely need to use MOVCPM to change
                      the jump addresses in the BDOS to adjust for a (likely) different TPA
                      size. Moving CP/M to a different machine isn't quite THAT simple.

                      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                      New Kensington, PA
                    • joshbensadon
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
                        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dave McGuire wrote:

                        > On 01/19/2013 09:27 AM, joshbensadon wrote:
                        > > Perfect, the DDBIOS.ASM file looks like the right stuff. Just
                        > > assemble it where the BIOS jump table is suppose to be (according the
                        > > the memory size of CP/M), then cut and paste it over the BIOS section
                        > > of CP/M.
                        >
                        > Be careful here. You will most likely need to use MOVCPM to change
                        > the jump addresses in the BDOS to adjust for a (likely) different TPA
                        > size. Moving CP/M to a different machine isn't quite THAT simple.
                        >
                        > -Dave
                        >
                        > --
                        > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                        > New Kensington, PA

                      • joshbensadon
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
                          Please ignore previous message, I got trigger happy with the <Enter> Key.

                          Hi All,

                          I've got an Intertek Super Brain computer on my bench at the moment and my worse nightmare has just begun. The 2716 Eprom Chip is blank! All FF's. I tested my Eprom programmer to verify reading another 2716 chip, it's not my programmer.

                          Does anyone have one of these computers where they can send me a binary image of the Eprom? Please.

                          Cheers,
                          Josh <--- crossing my fingers
                        • Jeffrey Brace
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 20, 2013
                            >Hi All,
                            >I've got an Intertek Super Brain computer on my bench at the moment and my
                            >worse nightmare has just begun. The 2716 Eprom Chip is blank! All FF's. I
                            >tested my Eprom programmer to verify reading another 2716 chip, it's >not
                            >my programmer.

                            >Does anyone have one of these computers where they can send me a binary
                            >image of the Eprom? Please.

                            >Cheers,
                            >Josh <--- crossing my fingers

                            Josh,

                            You may want to try contacting Brian Cirulnick. He has two SuperBrains.

                            Jeff B
                          • joshbensadon
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 21, 2013
                              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Brace" wrote:

                              > >worse nightmare has just begun. The 2716 Eprom Chip is blank! All > >Does anyone have one of these computers where they can send me a binary
                              > >image of the Eprom? Please.
                              >
                              > Josh,
                              >
                              > You may want to try contacting Brian Cirulnick. He has two SuperBrains.
                              >
                              > Jeff B

                              Excellent! Thanks Jeff! Now, how can I get in touch with Brian?
                              Please feel free to send him my email joshbensadon@...

                              Thanks!
                              Josh
                            • joshbensadon
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 23, 2013
                                I need to get an image of the Boot ROM for the Super Brain.

                                Jeff recommended Brian Cirulnick, but I can't reach him.
                                I can only find 1 email address on his website (Techrat@...) but it is not working.

                                Anyone know how to reach Brian?

                                Thanks,
                                Josh