Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: MG Chemicals Flux remover vs Ecoline Flux Remover

    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 17, 2013
      On 01/17/2013 06:02 AM, corey986 wrote:
      > What do you normally use on Vintage Stuff then?

      MG 4140. :) I do a lot of repairs on vintage stuff, but I do far more
      work on current hardware. (that's why my earlier response must've been
      confusing)

      > I was cleaning some
      > pretty "fluxy" MITS ram cards yesterday that I just got and 99% ISP
      > barely did anything. Ecoline worked but I had 3 ram cards to do so
      > it took 1/2 a can (they were really bad). I was saving that can for
      > my Sol which was a kit so I'm sure once I get the main board out will
      > need a good cleaning. I'm going with the Bill D method of
      > troubleshooting, clean the darn thing up so you can see what you
      > actually have going on when you start debugging. I also have my
      > SIO-A and 88-PMC card to clean this week before I install them and
      > I'm guessing they will finish off my Ecoline supply.

      Yeah isopropyl alcohol won't both most fluxes very much. Even the MG
      4140 has trouble with very old, discolored flux. Scrub scrub scrub..

      -Dave

      > Thanks, Corey
      >
      > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dave McGuire wrote:
      >>
      >> On 01/16/2013 04:28 PM, corey986 wrote:
      >>> Yes Evan this is on topic...
      >>>
      >>> I currently use Ecoline Flux remover to clean up old cards, this
      >>> stuff is expensive and I have to mail order it. I noticed when I
      >>> was picking up some 99.99% ISP the other day that my local
      >>> electronics store carries MG Chemicals Flux remover which was
      >>> about $5 cheaper a bottle not counting its local without
      >>> shipping.
      >>>
      >>> Has anyone used the MG one? Is it as safe as the Ecoline for
      >>> old cards and systems (plastic safe)? Does it work as well?
      >>
      >> I use one of MG's flux removers, product #4140. I've had no
      >> problems with it attacking plastics. It's tough on your hands,
      >> though...use gloves! I've mostly used it on new stuff, but I've
      >> used it on vintage boards on occasion as well.
      >>
      >> -Dave
      >>
      >> -- Dave McGuire, AK4HZ New Kensington, PA

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ