Re: [midatlanticretro] Fwd: Vintage Computer Festival Archvies STOLEN by Tri-Valley Recycling in Stockton - now selling on eBay as seller "tvrsales"

  • Andrew Molloy
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 15, 2013
      Man, this is terrible news. Saw it posted on a2central too.

      Andy

      On Tuesday, January 15, 2013, joshbensadon wrote:

      Damn, it sold for $380 which is more than I can afford as a gift.

      > >> I'm tempted to buy the KIM-1 back for Sellam and ask that he walk over there to pick it up.
      >
      > That would be beautiful.
      >
      > I haven't looked @ cctalk lately but there is a thread on this subject at vcforum.

    • DougCrawford
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 17, 2013

        > >> I'm tempted to buy the KIM-1 back for Sellam and ask that he walk over there to pick it up.
        >
        > That would be beautiful.
        >
        > I haven't looked @ cctalk lately but there is a thread on this subject at vcforum.

        I hope the msg gets spread far such that the stuff doesn't sell, but folks not-in-the-know and opportunists are likely to bite.
        Argh.
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 17, 2013
          STOLEN by Tri-Valley Recycling in Stockton - now selling on eBay as seller

          > > That would be beautiful.
          > >
          > > I haven't looked @ cctalk lately but there is a thread on this subject
          at vcforum.

          > I hope the msg gets spread far such that the stuff doesn't sell, but
          folks not-in-the-know and opportunists are likely to bite.
          > Argh.

          There are at least three more Ebay accounts selling his items.
          http://www.ebay.com/sch/appliancealley/m.html
          http://www.ebay.com/csc/martinezana/m.html?LH_Complete=1&rt=nc
          http://www.ebay.com/sch/kaekae_b2011/m.html?item=121051068738&ssPageName=STR
          K%3AMEWAX%3AIT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562
        • m
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 17, 2013
            I don't understand. Has he not contacted ebay? Wouldn't ebay halt the auctions if it was made clear all the items in question were stolen or at least part of an ongoing lawsuit?

            --
            MS
          • ekoblentz
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 17, 2013
              >> I don't understand. Has he not contacted ebay? Wouldn't ebay halt the auctions if it was made clear all the items in question were stolen or at least part of an ongoing lawsuit?

              Ebay would only take action if items were "stolen" in the traditional sense, if you had a police report, etc. ... Sellam is alleging that his warehouse landlord illegally seized his property and sold it to the recycler.

              In plain English: stolen is stolen. If items aren't legally mine, and I take them from you, then I stole 'em.

              But as far as the law is concerned -- or at least as I understand it -- there's a big legal difference between criminal theft and civil seizure. Ebay probably isn't going to take action if someone asserts that a seller bought something from another party who allegedly stole from you, unless you had legal proof.
            • DougCrawford
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 18, 2013

                > >> I don't understand. Has he not contacted ebay? Wouldn't ebay halt the auctions if it was made clear all the items in question were stolen or at least part of an ongoing lawsuit?
                >
                > Ebay would only take action if items were "stolen" in the traditional sense, if you had a police report, etc. ... Sellam is alleging that his warehouse landlord illegally seized his property and sold it to the recycler.
                >
                > In plain English: stolen is stolen. If items aren't legally mine, and I take them from you, then I stole 'em.
                >
                > But as far as the law is concerned -- or at least as I understand it -- there's a big legal difference between criminal theft and civil seizure. Ebay probably isn't going to take action if someone asserts that a seller bought something from another party who allegedly stole from you, unless you had legal proof.

                It's a chilling lesson I guess about putting valuable stuff in
                rented space. What a heartbreak.