SCELBI PCBs Update

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 15, 2013
      Boards are expected to arrive next Monday. I'm still weighing details of the early adopters plan, but I'm leaning along these lines.

      Assuming that board pass the eye test and some basic mechanical checks, I'll probably accept payment for a shipment on the next Saturday or Monday after board arrival for those that want the best price, and are willing to risk untested HW.

      Then I'll ship a second wave after two more weeks, still with reduced pricing, but not rock bottom pricing.

      After that, I'll go to a standard price that I can live with going forward.

      Just to give you an idea of pricing range I'm thinking about is in the range of $200 to $300 for a six board set, with no components.

      SCELBI computer sold kits, as well as build up computers. Be aware that building a chassis for the SCELBI 8H can get surprisingly expensive, depending upon how close to a production system that you want to make it. For a bare bones setup kit type setup, you'll need 10, 44 pin edge card connectors, and +5v and -9v power supplies, plus some switches . You will need wire to connect the power supply and front panel switches.

      For a more authentic "production" system, SCELBI used 14, 78S11 relay sockets for I/O and a total of 16 edge card slots. Also, each card had card guides in production systems. The power socket is a 78S4 and the plug is a 86CP4.

      The chassis is similar to a BUD AC-413, only 3.5" high, instead of 3". Cory is looking into the cost of getting a custom chassis made that closely matches the SCELBI original, along with an authentic looking anodized blue front panel.

      I've ordered a set of edge card connectors - once I confirm that they will work, I'll post the part number. Also, I believe I have identified the correct card guide, but need to confirm that before I publish the number.

      I think that all existing SCELBI 8H documentation, including assembly manuals and schematics can be found online at one of the following sites.

      I'm repeating this entry on my blog, and will share more information there, as this project proceeds.

      www.willegal.net/blog

      regards,
      Mike W.