Re: [midatlanticretro] Fwd: Vintage Computer Festival Archvies STOLEN by Tri-Valley Recycling in Stockton - now selling on eBay as seller "tvrsales"

  • evan@snarc.net
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 14, 2013
      >> This was just posted on cctalk - it is most horrible news!  A great resource will be lost if these bastards are allowed to keep stealing and selling Sellam's collection.

      Guys -- as you all know I am very close friends with Sellam (as are a few other MARCHins), and so I and maybe one or two others know much more about the situation that we cannot and will not discuss. Don't even think about asking me for details.

      Keep in mind that the legal process is very complicated, it's full of interpretations, and there are multiple sides to every story.

      But as Sellam wrote, the situation is ultra-delicate. I agree with his assessment that it's best not to get involved in the transactions.

      So it's best if this news NOT sink into a thread where all of us non-lawyers speculate based on information from one party's email.
    • Christian Liendo
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 15, 2013
        I just did a search and I saw the stuff that was sold..

        I am speechless.. I hope he wins

        >> This was just posted on cctalk - it is most horrible news!  A great resource will be lost if these bastards are allowed to keep stealing and selling Sellam's collection.

        Guys -- as you all know I am very close friends with Sellam (as are a few other MARCHins), and so I and maybe one or two others know much more about the situation that we cannot and will not discuss. Don't even think about asking me for details.

        Keep in mind that the legal process is very complicated, it's full of interpretations, and there are multiple sides to every story.

        But as Sellam wrote, the situation is ultra-delicate. I agree with his assessment that it's best not to get involved in the transactions.

        So it's best if this news NOT sink into a thread where all of us non-lawyers speculate based on information from one party's email.

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            midatlanticretro-digest@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 15, 2013
          I am glad he told us, I was watching some of these auctions. Ug, what a
          nightmare. I really feel for Sellam here, he's a great guy.
          Bill

          STOLEN by Tri-Valley Recycling in Stockton - now selling on eBay as seller
          "tvrsales"

          > I just did a search and I saw the stuff that was sold..
          >
          > I am speechless.. I hope he wins
          >

          > ________________________________

        • dfnr2
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 15, 2013
            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Pope wrote:

            > This was just posted on cctalk - it is most horrible news!

            This makes me sad. I know the collection has been a labor of love. It is heartbreaking to watch this unfold. I personally don't see how I could ever enjoy any of these items taken from Sellam, no matter how desirable.

            Dave

          • joshbensadon
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 15, 2013
              Holy CRAP

              That is so unfair.

              I'm tempted to buy the KIM-1 back for Sellam and ask that he walk over there to pick it up. Perhaps I just send him some money?

              Any suggestions?

              Josh

              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 15, 2013
                >> I'm tempted to buy the KIM-1 back for Sellam and ask that he walk over there to pick it up.

                That would be beautiful.

                I haven't looked @ cctalk lately but there is a thread on this subject at vcforum.
              • joshbensadon
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 15, 2013
                  Damn, it sold for $380 which is more than I can afford as a gift.

                  > >> I'm tempted to buy the KIM-1 back for Sellam and ask that he walk over there to pick it up.
                  >
                  > That would be beautiful.
                  >
                  > I haven't looked @ cctalk lately but there is a thread on this subject at vcforum.

                • Andrew Molloy
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 15, 2013
                    Man, this is terrible news. Saw it posted on a2central too.

                    Andy

                    On Tuesday, January 15, 2013, joshbensadon wrote:

                    Damn, it sold for $380 which is more than I can afford as a gift.

                    > >> I'm tempted to buy the KIM-1 back for Sellam and ask that he walk over there to pick it up.
                    >
                    > That would be beautiful.
                    >
                    > I haven't looked @ cctalk lately but there is a thread on this subject at vcforum.

                  • DougCrawford
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 17, 2013

                      > >> I'm tempted to buy the KIM-1 back for Sellam and ask that he walk over there to pick it up.
                      >
                      > That would be beautiful.
                      >
                      > I haven't looked @ cctalk lately but there is a thread on this subject at vcforum.

                      I hope the msg gets spread far such that the stuff doesn't sell, but folks not-in-the-know and opportunists are likely to bite.
                      Argh.
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 17, 2013
                        STOLEN by Tri-Valley Recycling in Stockton - now selling on eBay as seller

                        > > That would be beautiful.
                        > >
                        > > I haven't looked @ cctalk lately but there is a thread on this subject
                        at vcforum.

                        > I hope the msg gets spread far such that the stuff doesn't sell, but
                        folks not-in-the-know and opportunists are likely to bite.
                        > Argh.

                        There are at least three more Ebay accounts selling his items.
                        http://www.ebay.com/sch/appliancealley/m.html
                        http://www.ebay.com/csc/martinezana/m.html?LH_Complete=1&rt=nc
                        http://www.ebay.com/sch/kaekae_b2011/m.html?item=121051068738&ssPageName=STR
                        K%3AMEWAX%3AIT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562
                      • m
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 17, 2013
                          I don't understand. Has he not contacted ebay? Wouldn't ebay halt the auctions if it was made clear all the items in question were stolen or at least part of an ongoing lawsuit?

                          --
                          MS
                        • ekoblentz
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 17, 2013
                            >> I don't understand. Has he not contacted ebay? Wouldn't ebay halt the auctions if it was made clear all the items in question were stolen or at least part of an ongoing lawsuit?

                            Ebay would only take action if items were "stolen" in the traditional sense, if you had a police report, etc. ... Sellam is alleging that his warehouse landlord illegally seized his property and sold it to the recycler.

                            In plain English: stolen is stolen. If items aren't legally mine, and I take them from you, then I stole 'em.

                            But as far as the law is concerned -- or at least as I understand it -- there's a big legal difference between criminal theft and civil seizure. Ebay probably isn't going to take action if someone asserts that a seller bought something from another party who allegedly stole from you, unless you had legal proof.
                          • DougCrawford
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 18, 2013

                              > >> I don't understand. Has he not contacted ebay? Wouldn't ebay halt the auctions if it was made clear all the items in question were stolen or at least part of an ongoing lawsuit?
                              >
                              > Ebay would only take action if items were "stolen" in the traditional sense, if you had a police report, etc. ... Sellam is alleging that his warehouse landlord illegally seized his property and sold it to the recycler.
                              >
                              > In plain English: stolen is stolen. If items aren't legally mine, and I take them from you, then I stole 'em.
                              >
                              > But as far as the law is concerned -- or at least as I understand it -- there's a big legal difference between criminal theft and civil seizure. Ebay probably isn't going to take action if someone asserts that a seller bought something from another party who allegedly stole from you, unless you had legal proof.

                              It's a chilling lesson I guess about putting valuable stuff in
                              rented space. What a heartbreak.