Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Early Microcomputer Software... Wow!

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 14, 2013
      On 01/13/2013 12:41 AM, DougCrawford wrote:
      >> Dig back into the history of those days, and prepare to be amazed. I
      >> grab every 1950s and 1960s computer technology book I can find...
      >
      > Yes I should!
      > Got a few recommendations?

      For "the horse's mouth", there's really no way to beat "Collected
      Algorithms from ACM". It's a bit like reading an encyclopedia, and it's
      extremely dense information, but it's great stuff. Basically all the
      algorithms we know and love, in the form in which they were FIRST
      published. The classic sorting algorithms, for example...reading the
      articles their developers wrote to introduce them to the world, along
      with example code (sometimes pseudocode), is very enlightening. That
      set of books is very expensive, but worth ten times the price.

      For the architectural side of things, "Parallel Computing" by Hockney
      and Jesshope is possibly one of the finest books I own. (and, forgive
      me, I own quite a few) It's not about stuff like "clusters of Linux
      boxes"...it's about parallel*ISM* in computing, in the way that an
      eight-bit computer processes eight bits in parallel, or two bytes in
      parallel (typically) when doing sixteen-bit math, etc. There are
      varying degrees of parallelism everywhere, and that book taught me how
      to recognize it. It also includes some case studies and in-depth
      descriptions of some computer architectures. There are very few books
      that I can recommend as highly as this one.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ